• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because American TV and British TV are run completely differently on different schedules, because the entire idea of a showrunner is to create scripts to have a singular voice, and the bigger question:

If Gillian Flynn has no TV experience, why would we expect that she knows how to write a TV show without any co-showrunner to guide her?

It's not innocuous. It's fucking stupid.

It's not whatever -- it's, again, fucking stupid, to say: "I don’t want a big writers room, I want a voice". It's a stupid, ignorant comment that is film prestige bullshit.

She has no experience writing television. Fincher has never run a show before. As of now, Gillian Flynn will be on her own, without anyone partnered with her, trying to write a television show, with absolutely no experience of being a showrunner and absolutely no experience being a television writer. What a fucking joke.

Isn't that what happened with the first season of Beau Willimon and House of Cards? Like him, I thought Flynn's feature script was pretty good.

ivysaur12

Banned
I wanna be nice and consider writing a screenplay could be very close to writing episodics, but umm, there's also that above. So I don't know if that would even be close to true anymore, considering the large gap of experience.

It's a completely different experience and she's going to be on her own after, what, writing one screenplay based on a book that she wrote? Has she ever been in post before? Has she ever tried to put together character arcs over multiple episodes? Has she ever broke an episode of television? Is she surrounding yourself with people who understand the pitfalls of the medium and how to avoid them?

As of now, it's Gillian Flynn, and her "singular voice." Congratulations.

Isn't that what happened with the first season of Beau Willimon and House of Cards? Like him, I thought Flynn's feature script was pretty good.

He has a writers' room and people around him who know how television works.

Flynn has, apparently, no one.

Sober

Damn ivy, thanks for reminding me that the staff writers with the fancy producers credits also have to be on set and for mixing/post/etc.

Hopefully that's not the case because that would just be a clusterfuck of bad.

ivysaur12

Banned
LOWLY WRITERS ROOM AND THEIR FILTHY MEDDLING

Like that time that Noah Hawley said that writers' rooms are where creativity goes to die.

oh wait you had a writers' room breaking all of your episodes of Fargo and then took credit on every episode and pretending like none of them existed go fuck yourself.

Sober

Wasn't TD also Nic's first foray into TV?

fake edit: guess not

I'm sure HBO will eventually notice this because they already greenlit it.

Like that time that Noah Hawley said that writers' rooms are where creativity goes to die.

oh wait you had a writers' room breaking all of your episodes of Fargo and then took credit on every episode and pretending like none of them existed go fuck yourself.
Holy shit, for real? wtf

edit: http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/wr...-does-tv-creativity-flourish-best-1201219160/

huh

edit again: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/far...that-made-the-fx-miniseries-shine-1201265082/

jesus

anaron

yay! :)

Joe Adalian said:
HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER and BLACK-ISH have been picked up for full seasons.

God he's such trash.

cory64

Matt Weiner got it right.

Oh and the first two seasons of Glee were written by a triumvirate, which led to some MAJOR issues down the road (well, during those seasons too of course). That's probably the worst case scenario. No one should ever do that again.

maxcriden

NOOO Red Band.. :( Fuck.

Blackish is doing good I haven't seen it yet.is it good?

Ah dude. It's so fucking funny. Only 3 eps so far, so you can catch up easily. Latest was the best yet.

kxX7wfR.gif

Why the Extant hate, Exalted Oddness? I really dug the show throughout.

yay! :)

black-ish pick-up

Yesss! Awesome. Thanks for the great news!

Patryn

Wasn't Babylon 5 the first modern series to only have a single writer for a season? J. Michael Straczynski, the creator, wrote all of seasons 2-4, and most of seasons 1 and 5.

And those were 22 episode seasons.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wasn't Babylon 5 the first modern series to only have a single writer for a season? J. Michael Straczynski, the creator, wrote all of seasons 2-4, and most of seasons 1 and 5.

And those were 22 episode seasons.

I think it's sort of a crappy show, and he also had been working since the 80s in television.

Sober

Wouldn't someone more recent be John Logan on Penny Dreadful? Don't know all the details but it seems like he's been doing the all the writing and it looks like it's his first jump into TV even with a long list of features.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wouldn't someone more recent be John Logan on Penny Dreadful? Don't know all the details but it seems like he's been doing the all the writing and it looks like it's his first jump into TV even with a long list of features.

Yup. And I think Penny Dreadful has problems, but is good. It's possible but it's also not a the best gamble. Also, his film credits are a bit more robust than Gillian Flynn's.

G0523

Deadline: USA to Cut Back on Comedies

So does this mean Benched is cancelled already?

Apparently Modern Family reruns weren't pulling in numbers that USA wanted (they wanted TBBT reruns numbers) and it was just downhill from there when they were trying to make original comedies to piggyback off of Modern Family.

Maybe they should stop airing Chrisley Knows Best? Seriously why is this a thing?!
Maybe they should have picked up Happy Endings?

Sober

I guess when it comes down to it, even if they don't have experience, it'll be on premium cable - where I feel you can skirt the lines of episodic structure more than you could (see GoT) elsewhere - and she'll probably be flanked be an army of producers to get something out the door.

Personally it's a little unsettling to me as well because the virtues, advantages, practices and expectations of working for a writers' room was also ingrained in me, so I don't like the recent trend of people getting solo acts.

beat

Didn't John Enbom write nearly all of Party Down by himself because the show couldn't afford a writers' room?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So does this mean Benched is cancelled already?

The network remains fully committed to its existing comedy series, legal half-hour Benched, set to premiere October 28, and Denis Leary’s paramedic show Sirens, which has been renewed for a second season.

G0523 said:
Apparently Modern Family reruns weren't pulling in numbers that USA wanted (they wanted TBBT reruns numbers) and it was just downhill from there when they were trying to make original comedies to piggyback off of Modern Family.

However, it is bringing a younger and upscale audience to the network and, after an early hiccup when the show under-delivered the ratings promised to advertisers last season, it has become a profitable show for USA.

G0523 said:
Maybe they should stop airing Chrisley Knows Best? Seriously why is this a thing?!

At the same time, USA found instant success this past spring with breakout unscripted comedy Chrisley Knows Best, which is set to return for a second season. It triggered pop culture buzz and delivered USA’s lowest median age. Chrisley Knows Best‘s success certainly opens the door for more alternative comedy on USA. I hear that the network is close to a pilot order to a semi-scripted comedy that would be a companion for Chrisley. I’ve learned that the project did not come out of the regular script development project but via a presentation.

maxcriden

I think it's sort of a crappy show, and he also had been working since the 80s in television.

Also he wasn't super nice to me when I met him. I don't like meeting a writer, gushingly and then feeling like they're inconvenienced to have you talk to them. 😕

Clevinger

Also he wasn't super nice to me when I met him. I don't like meeting a writer, gushingly and then feeling like they're inconvenienced to have you talk to them. 😕

Are you, by any chance, the guy who said JMS was a dick to you when you told him you wanted to be a writer?

I can't remember where I heard that. Doesn't sound like the nicest guy.

maxcriden

Are you, by any chance, the guy who said JMS was a dick to you when you told him you wanted to be a writer?

I can't remember where I heard that. Doesn't sound like the nicest guy.

Ah, yeah, that might've been me. I don't know if I've told that story on GAF, but I probably have told it on the Bendis board if you ever went there before it recently shut down. Anyway, I was about 15 and I had gone with my Dad to a comic convention in Toronto where he was giving a talk. Afterwards I waited for him to come out and politely and gushingly introduced myself and asked if he had any advice for an aspiring writer. He kind of sized me up and seemed annoyed, and halfheartedly said to follow my passion. That was pretty much it, I just did not have a good vibe from the interaction. This was like ten years ago so maybe he's super pleasant to fans now, though. I also remember I was really into comics at the time and he kept starting writing comic projects, releasing them, and then the series would end only partway done or have major delays.

FoneBone

That paragraph is horribly written. I think it's supposed to be Flynn quoting or paraphrasing Fincher, not a direct Fincher quote provided to Buzzfeed or any other outlet.

I think I'd refrain from making any big conclusions about his reasoning based on only that. There are a lot of ways that secondhand quote is misrepresenting the truth.

Yeah... ivy, I like you, but you seem to be taking that too personally? I don't know why you're interpreting Flynn's secondhand quote as gospel.

beat

I also remember I was really into comics at the time and he kept starting writing comic projects, releasing them, and then the series would end only partway done or have major delays.
Well, stuff like "How about a long multi-issue arc where Superman voluntarily stops flying -- he can still do it, he just chooses not to" is not exactly going to endear him to the audience even if he'd stuck with it and gotten them out without delays.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah... ivy, I like you, but you seem to be taking that too personally? I don't know why you're interpreting Flynn's secondhand quote as gospel.

Because Fincher saying "I don't want a big room, I want a voice" is personally offensive to anyone who's been part of a room. It's also completely ignorant to the process in which he's talking about, because the entire job of running a show is giving each script a singular voice.

It's insulting. Despire what a few notable assholes might think, not having a room does not make you a higher class of a writer.

Because Fincher saying "I don't want a big room, I want a voice" is personally offensive to anyone who's been part of a room. It's also completely ignorant to the process in which he's talking about, because the entire job of running a show is giving each script a singular voice.

It's insulting. Despire what a few notable assholes might think, not having a room does not make you a higher class of a writer.

Considering how much of a perfectionist Fincher is, maybe he is really bothered by the subtle cracks that develop because of writing rooms? I mean, the dude will take 60+ takes of a book flopping open.

But, like I said earlier, I don't think Fincher has a voice. Aside from visuals, he's always stepped aside and shot what the screenwriter wrote. I don't think he could take a bunch of scripts from different people and re-work them into a singular voice and he's not interested in learning how to do that. Should he be? I don't know.

I don't even really think he should be bothering remaking Utopia in the first place, so what do I know.

ivysaur12

Banned
Considering how much of a perfectionist Fincher is, maybe he is really bothered by the subtle cracks that develop because of writing rooms? I mean, the dude will take 60+ takes of a book flopping open.

But, like I said earlier, I don't think Fincher has a voice. Aside from visuals, he's always stepped aside and shot what the screenwriter wrote. I don't think he could take a bunch of scripts from different people and re-work them into a singular voice and he's not interested in learning how to do that. Should he be? I don't know.

I don't even really think he should be bothering remaking Utopia in the first place, so what do I know.

Writer writes an episode, doing their best to write the show. Showrunner does a pass, making it an episode of their particular show that feels like the show if it is not already. Director directs what they get.

There's not much upside besides the "prestige" of saying it was written entirely by a "singular voice", which would come out anyway.

Sober

It's up to the showrunner(s) to do passes over scripts from other writers to correct voice, tone, etc. if it's needed. And then this runs into the territory of people who aren't writers calling themselves showrunners which is a big no-no.

edit: ^^^ ivy!!! (i m too slow)

Writer writes an episode, doing their best to write the show. Showrunner does a pass, making it an episode of their particular show that feels like the show if it is not already. Director directs what they get.

There's not much upside besides the "prestige" of saying it was written entirely by a "singular voice", which would come out anyway.

You don't have to explain to me how writing on a show with a writing room works.

I'm trying to explain why David Fincher might not be interested in the idea of working with a staff of writers. He's never done it before and his incredibly analytical- and precision-based mindset probably couldn't deal with it.

ivysaur12

Banned
You don't have to explain to me how writing on a show with a writing room works.

I'm trying to explain why David Fincher might not be interested in the idea of working with a staff of writers. He's never done it before and his incredibly analytical- and precision-based mindset probably couldn't deal with it.

He's not the showrunner. He's the director. And in TV, directors get what they get and they shoot it. If he doesn't like that, do an HBO movie or stick to film.

A TV director deals with ONE script that they get from one showrunner.

He's not the showrunner. He's the director. And in TV, directors get what they get and they shoot it. If he doesn't like that, do an HBO movie or stick to film.

He . . . he is doing an HBO program where that sort of thing is a possibility. They give him the luxury so he's taking it.

Sober

He . . . he is doing an HBO program where that sort of thing is a possibility. They give him the luxury so he's taking it.
Features and and episodics don't work the same. And he's basically a glorified traffic cop; okay, he'll probably get EP and go over the script on how to shoot it but that's all he's doing.

except he's not the showrunner. He's not dealing with the room. He is directing episodes that should already have "one singular voice" from the a showrunner.

You're missing his point. He doesn't want to deal with a writing room as a director. He's used to the cushy life of a Hollywood director where he basically has final say. He doesn't want to worry about a showrunner. He just wants one writer doing the script like he prefers.

I honestly think you're taking his statement too personally. He's just giving his opinion and talking about how he wants to work.

ivysaur12

Banned
You're missing his point. He doesn't want to deal with a writing room as a director. He doesn't want to worry about a showrunner. He just wants one writer doing the script like her prefers.

But there is only one writer doing the final pass on any show. And he's given that power to a person who has never worked in TV, has written one screenplay (of a book she wrote), and doesn't know the medium.

The upside of having a room would be working with people who know TV to support Gillian. The downside is literally nothing except someone's ego.

But there is only one writer doing the final pass on any show. And he's given that power to a person who has never worked in TV, has written one screenplay (of a book she wrote), and doesn't know the medium.

The upside of having a room would be working with people who know TV to support Gillian. The downside is literally nothing except someone's ego.

I don't think that showrunners get all the kinks out. They get most, but not all. The same can be said for solo-writers. Each has it's own set of upsides and downsides.

I feel like there's an incredible leap from "I don't want to work with a large staff" to "My untrained team and I have a huge ego." To me, it feels more like an experiment that they believe they can pull off. And I have no problem with experimentation.

Sober

I don't think that showrunners get all the kinks out. They get most, but not all. The same can be said for solo-writers. Each has it's own set of upsides and downsides.

I feel like there's an incredible leap from "I don't want to work with a large staff" to "My untrained team and I have a huge ego." To me, it feels more like an experiment that they believe they can pull off. And I have no problem with experimentation.
A showrunner isn't just the guy who sits at the head of the table, has the writers talk out the next season and waits for the scripts to show up and then does the final pass. He has to do a bunch of shit everywhere in every step of production along with any other producers, who may also be writers. You see where I'm going, right?

A showrunner isn't just the guy who sits at the head of the table, has the writers talk out the next season and waits for the scripts to show up and then does the final pass. He has to do a bunch of shit everywhere in every step of production along with any other producers, who may also be writers. You see where I'm going, right?

Uh, yes? As a massive fan of Dan Harmon (and his intense control and guiding hand that he puts into that show), I'm aware of what showrunners do.

And Fincher doesn't want that for his show. In his mind, he has a different break down of authority and how he wants his show to work. Why is this so absurd? No, not everyone should do something like this. But a guy who worked on, like, two scripts for The Killing of all shows got his own single writer project (True Detective). I'm pretty sure Fincher and Flynn have enough clout and experience to do the same.

Did everyone flip out when Adam Reed opted to do Archer as (largely) a single writer? Or is it just because of the tone that's setting everyone off.

DarkFlow

Banned

So other people wrote them, and he just slapped his name on there shit? How does the Writers Guild let shit like that happen?

So other people wrote them, and he just slapped his name on there shit? How does the Writers Guild let shit like that happen?

Writing rooms, in general, are a joint process. Most rooms have everyone making a lot of small touches and revisions after that first, main draft. Then, like everyone's said, a showrunner will usually take a final pass over cleaning up anything left over that has a dissonant voice. However, only the main writer who touches it gets the credit. He seems to have taken it to a bit more of an extreme as usually the showrunners only have their name on one or two episodes (if that).

ivysaur12

Banned
Uh, yes? As a massive fan of Dan Harmon (and his intense control and guiding hand that he puts into that show), I'm aware of what showrunners do.

And Fincher doesn't want that for his show. In his mind, he has a different break down of authority and how he wants his show to work. Why is this so absurd? No, not everyone should do something like this. But a guy who worked on, like, two scripts for The Killing of all shows got his own single writer project (True Detective). I'm pretty sure Fincher and Flynn have enough clout and experience to do the same.

Did everyone flip out when Adam Reed opted to do Archer as (largely) a single writer? Or is it just because of the tone that's setting everyone off.

I think it's a dumb idea that is bad news for the industry because it erases any mentorship and continued a film prestige jackoff that's plaguing the TV side. I think Fincher's tone is insulting and conclusion is absurd. I also think True Detective is a prime example of a show that struggled without a writers' room on some simple television principles.

Same way Sorkin does it. The scripts are probably so heavily rewritten (with the scenes and beats generally the same) that it doesn't matter. Also, no one arbitrates for credit in TV because it ends your career.

DarkFlow

Banned
Writing rooms, in general, are a joint process. Most rooms have everyone making a lot of small touches and revisions after that first, main draft. However, only the main writer who touches it gets the credit. He seems to have taken it to a bit more of an extreme as usually the showrunners only have their name on one or two episodes (if that).

Well that sounds like a dick move. I thought they normally gave the credit to the person who wrote the bulk of it, not just the guy who thinks he's entitled to it.

I think it's a dumb idea that is bad news for the industry because it erases any mentorship and continued a film prestige jackoff that's plaguing the TV side. I think Fincher's tone is insulting and conclusion is absurd. I also think True Detective is a prime example of a show that struggled without a writers' room on some simple television principles.

Yes, two shows erase an entire industry of mentorship.

And plenty of shows with writers rooms have awful, unbalanced writing. It's not mutually exclusive.

Well that sounds like a dick move. I thought they normally gave the credit to the person who wrote the bulk of it, not just the guy who thinks he's entitled to it.

Based on the article, it's a bit unclear who actually wrote the bulk of it. I tend to think of "breaking the plot" as in finding the story beats . . . not necessarily the actually writing of the script. If the guy wrote the scripts after they all broke the main beats, he'd be credited as the writer.

But I could be wrong about the phrase "breaking the plot." And I do think he still should give more vocal credit where credit is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom