• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

Man, I was so hyped for Celebrity Bowling and AMC cancelled it. Really bums me out.

Hopefully they'll go back at doing it on youtube.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I say Cristela debuts to a 1.2 and never reaches that number again before being unceremoniously canceled after its initial order.

Unforgettable has been canceled. Legit surprised, heard it was coming back.

I guess Unforgettable was.. Forgettable?

Yeahhhhh1.jpg

I'll show myself out
I miss CSI Miami Damn it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Or watch the anime (which is a Fantastic 1:1 adaptation, nothing left out.)

I wish we had more updates on it.

I bet HBO turns it down. It's like a murder mystery kinda sorta thing right? They already have True Detective so they might feel like one cop/detective/murder show is enough.

"Remember Unforgettable? Neither does CBS" ... ?

Remember when it was originally titled "The Rememberer"? lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, and isn't this their second cancellation? I'm pretty sure it was cancelled after its first season and then was brought back as a summer show.

danielcw

Nice thread - subscribed

Wasn't Babylon 5 the first modern series to only have a single writer for a season? J. Michael Straczynski, the creator, wrote all of seasons 2-4, and most of seasons 1 and 5.

And those were 22 episode seasons.

Was he really alone?
I know that he has the credit, and I believe even the same director for most episodes, but did he have no people who looked over his writing?

You don't have to explain to me how writing on a show with a writing room works.
Just would like to point out, that there are other people reading this thread, like me for example. So it doesn't hurt to add facts to a discussion, even if those who participate are aware of them.

So other people wrote them, and he just slapped his name on there shit? How does the Writers Guild let shit like that happen?
Same way Sorkin does it. The scripts are probably so heavily rewritten (with the scenes and beats generally the same) that it doesn't matter. Also, no one arbitrates for credit in TV because it ends your career.
Shouldn't other people step in.
I read that on the West Wing executive producer John Wells sent every script in for arbitration, just to be sure his writers and Sorkin, who got most of the credit, are protected against claims from each other.

I miss CSI Miami Damn it.
I guess many international broadcasters miss the show :)

Was he really alone?
I know that he has the credit, and I believe even the same director for most episodes, but did he have no people who looked over his writing?

Well, he was the showrunner. There were several other writers across the series, but he wrote the best two seasons (3 & 4) entirely alone--at least, according to the credits. And of course the whole show was mostly planned out from the beginning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So AMC is cancelling all unscripted programming with the exception of comic book men effective immediately.

WHY.jpg

Cancel that/throw it under the bus, AMC. Keep Talking <X> with Chris Hardwick. That's all you need for Unscripted shows.

Sober

Hahah holy crap this week on Mysteries of Laura they had to trick a gamer online into hacking their webcam or something so they could trace it back to him or something. To be fair it wasn't too shitty or terribly written but just hard to watch, but nothing beats some of the worst shit I've been exposed to already.

Yes I am still watching Mysteries of Laura

Like that time that Noah Hawley said that writers' rooms are where creativity goes to die.

oh wait you had a writers' room breaking all of your episodes of Fargo and then took credit on every episode and pretending like none of them existed go fuck yourself.

Well, that's not true at all.

He has mentioned he had other writers help breaking the storyline in most, if not all, interviews I have seen.

Breaking a story does not give you writer credit, otherwise there would be 10 writers listed for every episode.

I believe the other writers got producer credits (or at least some type of credits)?

The other writers will get to write episodes for the second season.

Doesn't sound like he is pretending he did it all himself to me...

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, that's not true at all.

He has mentioned he had other writers help breaking the storyline in most, if not all, interviews I have seen.

Breaking a story does not give you writer credit, otherwise there would be 10 writers listed for every episode.

I believe the other writers got producer credits (or at least some type of credits)?

The other writers will get to write episodes for the second season.

Doesn't sound like he is pretending he did it all himself to me...

Having a writers' room break story and then not assigning episodes to anyone besides yourself is obviously Hawley's prerogative, but it's the definition of shady. Sorkin does it and it's not okay, but even Sorkin isn't that bad.

If he'll assign scripts next season, great, problem solved, though I'd believe it when I see it.

EDIT: If this isn't clear enough. Pretending they don't exist = not assigning any scripts even though they all broke story. Getting a consulting producer credit means jacks shit because there's no script fee and no residual money.

beat

I think Dan Harmon said somewhere -- and I am heavily paraphrasing from memory -- that (implied: because he does a heavy rewrite on most scripts of Community) he would be able to put most of the scripts in his name, but he doesn't. Or maybe it was just that legally he would be allowed to, as showrunner.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think Dan Harmon said somewhere -- and I am heavily paraphrasing from memory -- that (implied: because he does a heavy rewrite on most scripts of Community) he would be able to put most of the scripts in his name, but he doesn't. Or maybe it was just that legally he would be allowed to, as showrunner.

Most showrunners could if they were to get into the technicalities of arbitration. And most don't, for good reason.

Having a writers' room break story and then not assigning episodes to anyone besides yourself is obviously Hawley's prerogative, but it's the definition of shady. Sorkin does it and it's not okay, but even Sorkin isn't that bad.

If he'll assign scripts next season, great, problem solved, though I'd believe it when I see it.

EDIT: If this isn't clear enough. Pretending they don't exist = not assigning any scripts even though they all broke story. Getting a consulting producer credit means jacks shit because there's no script fee and no residual money.

Sorkin has a writer's room throughout writing doesn't he? I'm not really clear at what stage Hawley went it alone. Was it when the overview was broken, or was it when the separate episodes had been broken and formatted?

ivysaur12

Banned
Sorkin has a writer's room throughout writing doesn't he? I'm not really clear at what stage Hawley went it alone. Was it when the overview was broken, or was it when the separate episodes had been broken and formatted?

They broke every episode, and then Hawley turned an outline into the network. Again, perfectly legal. But you don't hire people to break story for you and then don't assign them scripts, since breaking the story is 80% of the battle.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, Cristela performed better than expected! Good for her. :)

The pilot's cute and certainly better than a lot else I've seen. It definitely feels as if they did this on a shoestring with no budget and one take per scene. She's super charming and I legitimately laughed a few times. Good for her. I'm weirdly proud.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The pilot's cute and certainly better than a lot else I've seen. It definitely feels as if they did this on a shoestring with no budget and one take per scene. She's super charming and I legitimately laughed a few times. Good for her. I'm weirdly proud.

I remember reading about the show back when it was considered "the little show that could" - whose pilot had to be filmed on the Last Man Standing set after its initial presentation was rejected by ABC. To see it turn out to be somewhat of a success, both critically and commercially, at least at this early stage, is really cool to see.

TheOddOne

I remember reading about the show back when it was considered "the little show that could" - whose pilot had to be filmed on the Last Man Standing set after its initial presentation was rejected by ABC. To see it turn out to be somewhat of a success, both critically and commercially, at least at this early stage, is really cool to see.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat. I'm going to watch the pilot now.

beat

Whaaaaaaaaaaat. I'm going to watch the pilot now.
AIUI, what happened was that their pitch was rejected at the pilot phase but they got some payment ($200k?) as a consolation prize... But they used that money on shooting an extremely low budget pilot (or pilot presentation?) instead of just taking the money. They used the LMS set for it, but I would have thought once greenlit that they would have reshot the pilot...

ivysaur12

Banned
AIUI, what happened was that their pitch was rejected at the pilot phase but they got some payment ($200k?) as a consolation prize... But they used that money on shooting an extremely low budget pilot (or pilot presentation?) instead of just taking the money. They used the LMS set for it, but I would have thought once greenlit that they would have reshot the pilot...

Sort of -- ABC bought the pilot at the script stage with a pretty heft "penalty" attached. That penalty means that if the pilot doesn't go forward, ABC would then pay the the studio and writer a certain amount. That can be anywhere from $20,000 to $500,000. Cristela's penalty was fairly large.

Then, in February, ABC has already spent all of its money on its pilots and passed on Cristela, even though the network liked the script. There was some back and forth between ABC, and 20th (the producers) eventually got permission from the network to use the penalty to do a "proof of concept" pilot, which would be a 10 minute test of a few scenes that would eventually get laced in with a real pilot if it went to series. They ended up figuring out a way to stretch the money to the point where they could create a do a full pilot (this was achieved by using sets from Last Man Standing -- both LMS and Cristela are produced by 20th and the pod 21Laps).

Once the pilot came in, Cristela herself (and the pilot) ended up testing and screening really well, beating out a lot of other "sure thing" pilots from ABC (such as The Winklers from the creator of Everybody Loves Raymond).

The reason that they didn't reshoot the pilot is that they didn't really need to. It's a messy pilot that could've used a lot of work on direction and a few more takes, but it's perfectly serviceable. They would also have to entirely redo the pilot, instead of just doing pickups, which would eat into costs. Better use to use the one that they have and hope no one will notice/care.

beat

Oh, I see. Thanks, that was very informative.

It's gonna be a real loss for TV-GAF if/when you fade away from here.

cory64

Whitney's pilot was bad and the show ended up improving to cute, but now that Mulaney exists we have a new punching bag.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Whitney's pilot was bad and the show ended up improving to cute, but now that Mulaney exists we have a new punching bag.

Well I just had dinner next to Nasim Pedrad and Cristin Milioti (LOL I'm such an LA noob I still get star-struck) so now I feel bad beating up on Mulaney.

cory64

Well I just had dinner next to Nasim Pedrad and Cristin Milioti (LOL I'm such an LA noob I still get star-struck) so now I feel bad beating up on Mulaney.

That's quite some company!

There are often a lot of good talented people involved in telvision and freshman comedies are notoriously hard to pull off. That being said, Mulaney was exceptionally bad even for a sitcom pilot. I'll watch every week though, I think I've become bored with single camera comedies.

TheOddOne

Its extremely obvious to see.
Every time I saw a promo, I would say that it looked familiar to the LMS set.

Sort of -- ABC bought the pilot at the script stage with a pretty heft "penalty" attached. That penalty means that if the pilot doesn't go forward, ABC would then pay the the studio and writer a certain amount. That can be anywhere from $20,000 to $500,000. Cristela's penalty was fairly large.

Then, in February, ABC has already spent all of its money on its pilots and passed on Cristela, even though the network liked the script. There was some back and forth between ABC, and 20th (the producers) eventually got permission from the network to use the penalty to do a "proof of concept" pilot, which would be a 10 minute test of a few scenes that would eventually get laced in with a real pilot if it went to series. They ended up figuring out a way to stretch the money to the point where they could create a do a full pilot (this was achieved by using sets from Last Man Standing -- both LMS and Cristela are produced by 20th and the pod 21Laps).

Once the pilot came in, Cristela herself (and the pilot) ended up testing and screening really well, beating out a lot of other "sure thing" pilots from ABC (such as The Winklers from the creator of Everybody Loves Raymond).

The reason that they didn't reshoot the pilot is that they didn't really need to. It's a messy pilot that could've used a lot of work on direction and a few more takes, but it's perfectly serviceable. They would also have to entirely redo the pilot, instead of just doing pickups, which would eat into costs. Better use to use the one that they have and hope no one will notice/care.
Whoa, this is the first time I've heard this happen to a show.

Thanks for the info.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The new season of The Walking Dead premieres tonight. How well do we think it'll do?

Season 4 premiered to 16.11 million viewers and an 8.2 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) A18-49 rating. The finale earned 15.68 million viewers and an 8.0 A18-49 rating.

It's kind of a popular show, but do you think its popularity has peaked? Do you think it'll do better than last year? On par? Worse?

I'm going to say that it'll be...a bit higher than season 4, but not by a significant amount.

Prediction!

The Walking Dead - 17 million viewers and an 8.4 A18-49 rating.

danielcw

Whoa, this is the first time I've heard this happen to a show.

I don't know the history behind those decisions,
but I could name 2 more pilots that were shot on the sets of other shows:
Hanging' With Mr. Cooper used the set from Growing Pains. The fourth wall breaking opening of episode 2, when the show moved to a new set, acknowledges that.
And The Nanny, which never had its own set. The pilot was filmed on the Full House set (or at least it looked like that) and the rest used the set from "Powers That Be", if I remember the name correctly.
Does anybody know why that happened, and if it was important to get those shows on the air?
(I guess many shows that started as backdoor pilots could have similar stories.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom