• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Do you agree with The Asylum comparisons?
I haven't really ever watched anything by The Asylum but other than the sets looking a little cheap in a few shots (which is so small and I assume that's what people mean) ummm, no. There's Z-Nation or whatever that's actually on SyFy that is made by the Asylum instead if that's what people want.

High Moon was kooky but the sets were unbelievably gorgeous. It's either Fuller or the set designers he knows that just literally make magic happen.

My wife and I just started watching Under the Dome. The first season is... interesting. But kinda bad. I'm still intrigued....

I know there's also a 2nd season, but will there be a 3rd? I'm kinda wondering if this show gets better or (somehow) worse.

Maybe I should read the book....

The ratings still justify another season, but the show is so bad maybe the execs don't want to hurt their brand any more by being associated with it.

beat

Why would you do that in the first place? "Oh, you did well enough for 10 episodes, here's 80 more!" That shit makes no sense.

The business model theoretically works: the studio gets a nearly guaranteed syndication payout and the network has 100 eps of programming purchased, plus a share in the syndication payout too. (You've seen the AV Club writeup from a month ago about how FX would probably give up on this type of deal, right?)

That said, the mentality is almost 100% business and 0% art, and the deals are structured to produce far too much TV in too little time, meaning there's almost no chance the shows could be any good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't really ever watched anything by The Asylum but other than the sets looking a little cheap in a few shots (which is so small and I assume that's what people mean) ummm, no. There's Z-Nation or whatever that's actually on SyFy that is made by the Asylum instead if that's what people want.

High Moon was kooky but the sets were unbelievably gorgeous. It's either Fuller or the set designers he knows that just literally make magic happen.

Thanks for the impressions. I'll try to watch it when I have a chance.

I wonder if Anger Management and Charlie Sheen are done.

It'll certainly finish out its 90 episode second season but it probably won't be renewed beyond that.

Vert boil

edit: 10 million people watched Mysteries of Laura. Jesus christ.

laura3duu2b.gif

Yikes. The season has barely begun and Fox already seem to circling the drain in terms of ratings with Utopia and Red Band Society underperforming on their debuts.

As if there wasn't enough pressure on Gotham already to blow the ratings roof off with it's debut on Monday.
If only they had this show called Lithogrpah, no gif, oh Hieroglyph!

im still mad they did that and to my Alexis Bledel show the year before

Yikes. The season has barely begun and Fox already seem to circling the drain in terms of ratings with Utopia and Red Band Society underperforming on their debuts.

As if there wasn't enough pressure on Gotham already to blow the ratings roof off with it's debut on Monday.

They're lucky the OC had such a strong following. Without Ryan, the show would bomb harder than Lucky 7

Busty

Banned
If only they had this show called Lithogrpah, no gif, oh Hieroglyph!

That show will forever air somewhere that Fox can never cancel it...,

-- our hearts.

*weeps openly*

They're lucky the OC had such a strong following. Without Ryan, the show would bomb harder than Lucky 7

*sharp intake of breath*

I don't know man. Fox/WB have done just enough to differentiate it from Nolan's Batman 'universe' while also keeping the same aesthetic.

I think it will find audience
for the first few episodes
at the very least.

Penguin

That show will forever air somewhere that Fox can never cancel it...,

*sharp intake of breath*

I don't know man. Fox/WB have done just enough to differentiate it from Nolan's Batman 'universe' while also keeping the same aesthetic.

I think it will find audience
for the first few episodes
at the very least.

Kind of curious, what do you folks will be a "good" average rating for the show?

And what do you expect it to be

Busty

Banned
Kind of curious, what do you folks will be a "good" average rating for the show?

And what do you expect it to be

Given the amount that Fox are supposedly paying WBtv for it I'd imagine that it would have to do at least 1.8 but nearer a 2.0 in the demo.

I can't see the new 'home studio' centric Fox giving a key Time Warner property like Gotham any consideration this season. Like Almost Human (another WBtv show) before it if Gotham doesn't perform it's gone.

Really hope You're the Worst gets renewed. Really snuck up on me and I'll be devastated if it's canceled. But FX is pretty smart. I think they'll make the right decision.

FX is taking a long time to make renewal/cancellation decisions this season. Tyrant ended weeks ago and it's still in limbo, while The Bridge, You're the Worst and Married are nearing their ends and yet no decision has been made regarding their fates either.

Ugh... You're the Worst is my favorite new show... Married being a close second.

The protagonists of those shows have such chemistry, every joke just hits home.

Do the right thing FX!

Sober

Mysteries of Laura wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I like a more light-hearted hour long cop show. Had a few good laughs but it was rough in a few spots obviously. But I didn't actively hate it or anything. The tonal whiplash was more an effect of the trailers I feel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

>__<

oof

Fox is off to a rocky start this season with both Utopia and RBS under performing.

10 million people watched Mysteries of Laura. Jesus christ.

oiqQ6Ka.gif

When does the new animated Seth show premiere?

I've seen no talk about it on any of the pilot discussion.

Bordertown? Next year.

- Deadline: FX&#8217;s &#8216;Tyrant&#8217; Renewed For Second Season
For cable series, the run is often not a sprint but a marathon, and FX&#8217;s freshman drama Tyrant proved that in a major way. The cable network has given a 13-episode renewal to the Middle East-based political family series, increasing the order from 10 episodes in Season 1. Filming of Season 2 will begin next spring for a summer launch.

While Tyrant&#8217;s Live+same day series premiere ratings were not spectacular &#8212; 2.1 million total viewers and 775,000 adults 18-49 &#8212; the series proved to be DVR friendly and, most of all, incredibly consistent. Its Adults 18-49 audience average for the first half of the season was identical to the second half. On a weekly basis, Tyrant averaged 5.1 million Total Viewers and 2.3 million Adults 18-49 inclusive of linear, time-shifted and non-linear viewing (data through eight weeks). The series, from Homeland&#8217;s Howard Gordon, had to tackle an initial controversy surrounding its subject matter as well as logistical issues later on when production had to move from Israel to Istanbul because of the Gaza military conflict.

Mysteries of Laura high ratings was just people sleeping through the end of America's Got Talent, correct?

I don't care if it's not true, just back me up on this.

Sober

Mysteries of Laura high ratings was just people sleeping through the end of America's Got Talent, correct?

I don't care if it's not true, just back me up on this.
Check back next week when it goes to it's regular timeslot at 8, which seems like the right tone for a show like that.

Saty

Anything to report on Extant? Stopped watching in the middle of the season because of the talk it was a forgone conclusion it would be canceled.

And mysteries of Laura destroyed it.

Lolz

This season is going to be a disaster.

Damn, and that's with no competition from the other broadcast nets (besides NBC).

edit: 10 million people watched Mysteries of Laura. Jesus christ.

America's Got Talent is to thank for that, wait until next week and the weeks that follow.

Prediction: Mysteries of Laura will crater by the end of the season, but will already have been renewed by that point.

It's going to be more telling how it does in the next few weeks, it probably won't take even the half way point of the season to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom