• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about Scorpion?! Will Kat McPhee finally star in a hit show? Will Big Bang Theory give Mom the lead in it deserves?! So many questions and variables!

I will actually DVR Scorpion, though I'm very indifferent about it. I usually end up recording a ton more than I ever get around to watching, and dump complete seasons once a show gets cancelled.

What the heck is Scorpion?

Innit like The Big Bang Theory nerds meet the CIA, right down to the attractive waitress friend?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
All you need to know is that one guy is a human calculator. HUMAN CALCULATOR!

I don't want to poison the well, but all of the reviews indicate that it lacks sting.

My god I am excited for Gotham tonight. I wasnt sure what to think originally but the commercials have really sold me on it. Cant wait to see Gordon interacting with all these future villains.

G0523

USA's Benched will premiere Oct 28th. Eliza Coupe, Jay Harrington, Oscar Nunez, Maria Bamford, with John Enbom showrunning. http://deadline.com/2014/09/benched-video-usa-network-comedy-eliza-coupe-series-premiere-838492/

I feel like they've recast this a bunch (at least Jay Harrington) since I saw an early pilot, but maybe I just didn't recognize Harrington at all.

That looked pretty decent! Sure, we've all seen the "big corporate-type person lose everything in the first episode" thing a million times but Eliza Coupe did it pretty well.

Lol. Plus Debbie was the "hooked" girl for Ted from HIMYM.

Tamanon

Banned
Scorpion suuuuuucked.

It's a show about guys doing sysadmin work for the CIA. And they're assholes to everyone because that's what geniuses do apparently.

zroid

Banned
I thought Madam Secretary was alright... yeah the "box" line was terrible, and I want to punch the son in the nose, but overall not bad. Going to watch episode 2 anyway.

yes I like Téa Leoni, SUE ME!

So, uh. Gotham.

Yeah. Fair warning, the following might be a bit spoilery in general (but probably isn't).

I know it was a pilot and all, but the writing just didn't click with me. I was especially annoyed that they pretty much beat you over the head any time they introduced any DC character that somebody might know. The worst obviously being Penguin. Probably not word-for-word (I didn't feel the need to write it down...), but it felt like this:

"You look like a Penguin"
"Don't call me Penguin"

"You walk like a Penguin"
"Don't call me Penguin"

"Huh, are you a Penguin?"
"Don't call me Penguin"

Cringe.

Also, did anyone really not like the kind of, for lack of a better word, "thuggish" Alfred? Specifically when he was yelling at Bruce when he was
on the ledge
. Yeah, they may be going for a new take, etc. but I've never seen a butler that would say (again, not word-for-word)
"get your bloody arse down here"
to their employer, even if it's a child.

I'm not a huge Batman buff or comic fanatic or anything, but even so the direction kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

maxcriden

So, uh. Gotham.

Yeah. Fair warning, the following might be a bit spoilery in general (but probably isn't).

I know it was a pilot and all, but the writing just didn't click with me. I was especially annoyed that they pretty much beat you over the head any time they introduced any DC character that somebody might know. The worst obviously being Penguin. Probably not word-for-word (I didn't feel the need to write it down...), but it felt like this:

"You look like a Penguin"
"Don't call me Penguin"

"You walk like a Penguin"
"Don't call me Penguin"

"Huh, are you a Penguin?"
"Don't call me Penguin"

Cringe.

Also, did anyone really not like the kind of, for lack of a better word, "thuggish" Alfred? Specifically when he was yelling at Bruce when he was
on the ledge
. Yeah, they may be going for a new take, etc. but I've never seen a butler that would say (again, not word-for-word)
"get your bloody arse down here"
to their employer, even if it's a child.

I'm not a huge Batman buff or comic fanatic or anything, but even so the direction kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't think I'm even going to bother with this. Thank you. Sorry you wasted your time on it.

Numbers starting to roll in:
@TVMoJoe said:
GOTHAM debuts to a 3.2 A18-49 and 8M viewers.

SCORPION debuts to a 3.3 A18-49, 14M viewers and a 4.6 A25-54

SLEEPY HOLLOW returns to a 2.0 A18-49 and 5.5M viewers. The show typically gains around 60-70% in L7

THE BLACKLIST returns with a 3.4 A18-49/12.4M viewers. It's the most time-shifted show on network TV, adds 6M viewers on average

FOREVER debuts to a 1.5 A18-49 and 8.2M viewers. Lead-in DWTS notched 12M viewers and a 2.0 A18-49

UNDER THE DOME S2 finale did a 1.8 A18-49, 2.4 A25-54 and 7.6M viewers

- EW: 'Gotham' opens strong as 'Big Bang Theory' explodes
Fox’s big-swing crime drama Gotham opened to very strong ratings Monday night. Gotham premiered to 8 million viewers and a strong 3.2 rating among adults 18-49.

Gotham — the story of heroic Det. Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie) fighting iconic DC Comics villains and protecting a young pre-Batman Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz) — was predicted to have fall’s biggest opening by industry insiders. It’s far too early to give Gotham that crown, but 3.2 is considered a very good demo number, especially for 8 p.m. Among total viewers, CBS’ Madam Secretary, which opened Sunday night, has the fall lead.

Fox debuted Gotham right up against back-to-back episodes of TV’s biggest comedy, CBS’ The Big Bang Theory, which predictably exploded — 17.9 million viewers for the hour and a 5.3 in the demo.

Tamanon

Banned
I still don't get Big Bang Theory popularity, but whatever. At least Gotham held pretty strong. Seems like a lot of people were watching TV in general on Monday if Scorpion also had such good numbers.

Busty

Banned
A good opening for Gotham but I suspect it will probably settle into the same ratings pattern as Sleep Hollow once it gets a few weeks under it's belt. In fact it's a night of surprisingly strong numbers all round with DWTS even managing a 2.0.

Scorpion premièred well while Forever made a solid start given it's lead in retention and the fact it's on at 10pm.

Scorpion defeated Gotham. Unreal.

Well it's lead in was the Big Bang Theory.

JdFoX187

Banned
Are those numbers "good" for Sleepy Hollow?

EDIT: Curious how Gotham does when BBT shifts back to Thursday night after CBS's football run is over.

A good opening for Gotham but I suspect it will probably settle into the same ratings pattern as Sleep Hollow once it gets a few weeks under it's belt. In fact it's a night of surprisingly strong numbers all round with DWTS even managing a 2.0.

Scorpion premièred well while Forever made a solid start given it's lead in retention and the fact it's on at 10pm.

Well it's lead in was the Big Bang Theory.
No such thing as a halo effect brah, ivy will back me up. Scorpion is for real.

And i think it was unwise for ABC to premiere Forever this Monday.

Sober

Forever is actually airing tonight for reals this time, we'll see how it goes. The pilot was already up a while ago.

Decent numbers for Gotham, but I bet Fox wish the demo was higher.

I'll be interested to see where the numbers are in a month or two. I wouldn't be surprised if it steadily drops a la Agents of SHIELD season one.

Sloane

Banned
5.3, 3.9, 3.2, and 2.0 at 8 PM -- I don't really follow ratings closely anymore but that seems like quite a lot added up?

Cast promo photos for season 5 of Hawaii Five-0. One of the few procedurals that is still good and entertains me.

H50-Cast-Season-5-003.jpg

gazele

Banned
Anyone know if You're the Worst has been renewed for a second season?

It's become one of my favorite shows so hopefully it doesn't get cancelled :-/

Crosspost from scorpion OT.

Was pretty damn incredible. I think GAFers and general audiences are really going to connect with Walter. And it's nearly impossible to outshine Katherine McPhee's star. She is like a northern light that guides you to greatness. You'll connect with her and understand her fast, and she looked great in that waitress outfit. The psychology expert was great as the unreliable buddy, like a white Ken Leung. It did have its drawbacks, ghe Asian ladies voice was insufferable and I hope they don't try to outdo themselves with the stakes. CBS has another hit on their hands. Enjoy.

Can't believe Hawaii 5-0 is going on five seasons......

SHIELD premiered to a 4.6 rating last year. I have no idea what Fox's expectations were, but doesn't 3.2 seem kinda low given the Batman IP and marketing budget?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crosspost from scorpion OT.

Was pretty damn incredible. I think GAFers and general audiences are really going to connect with Walter. And it's nearly impossible to outshine Katherine McPhee's star. She is like a northern light that guides you to greatness. You'll connect with her and understand her fast, and she looked great in that waitress outfit. The psychology expert was great as the unreliable buddy, like a white Ken Leung. It did have its drawbacks, ghe Asian ladies voice was insufferable and I hope they don't try to outdo themselves with the stakes. CBS has another hit on their hands. Enjoy.

BREAKING NEWS: The Louvre is taking down the Mona Lisa and replacing it with a framed copy of this post, clearly the most amazing thing ever produced by the hands of humankind.

all the new shows this year are so bad

GOTHAM is OK will watch for a few more episodes

SCORPION & FOREVER are so bad

going to give How to get away with murder a shot

Sober

Eh, Scorpion wasn't that bad, but then again I wasn't expecting it to be any good either. It felt like they were playing it safe way too much until the end but I guess they have to, so okay. I'll give it a few more episodes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Grace Park is fucking 40. Asian genes are god damn sorcery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom