• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

nny

SAVE!

wakashimazu-ken-o.gif

Mory Dunz

Ivory Coast has been a tad unlucky, seems like the Japanese defense is about to be pierced any moment now

Seems like it's been pierced a lot. Ivory Coast just can't shoot.

Japan needs to pick it up. Ivory Coast will eventually score, but the question is how many will they concede?

krYlon

Maybe I'm overly critical but...

You will often find England players - upon receiving the ball - struggling to find a pass. It's literally stop. Start. This happens in midfield, especially with the left/right backs. When they can't find a midfielder, they pass back to their defenders.

I have never seen an international side with the quality in players England have be so consistently dead when it comes to movement. This then sucks the tempo out of their passing and nullifies any threat from the final third. This is why they cannot retain the ball; it is because there is often no one to play the ball to. This has been the case ever since I can remember.

They don't really have the intelligence for decent off-the-ball movement. Has always been a problem.

Tristam

Japanese defense are good at last-second recoveries but not good at anything else, like marking players and covering space appropriately.

alterno69

Banned
This world cup has been great so far, my wofe bouht my 7 year old son the Panininalbum a monyh ago and since then he got oretty hyped for the tournament. He has watched several games with me and he wears a football kid everyday as soon as he comes back from school and plays with his football all day around the house. My wife got him the Argentina and Germany kits today and he's excited to watch Messi tomorrow.

Seems like it's been pierced a lot. Ivory Coast just can't shoot.

Japan needs to pick it up. Ivory Coast will eventually score, but the question is how many will they concede?
The Japanese have played their game, they are fast but you can tell that fatigue has started to kick in heavily in Japanese team, Ivory Coast'stamina is far from over, heck this game is far from over

Japan need to step it up. Their passing is off. Kagawa, Nagatomo, and Osako have been off. Kakitani will probably play in the 2nd half in place of Osako. Kagawa and Nagatomo who usually terrorize defenses have been limp.

If not for Honda, Japan would have had an awful first half.

Why do African countries underperform in these tournaments? It's not like they lack quality players.

My theory is that, whilst African teams have quality players, it's due to the fact that they aren't taught teamwork as well. Basically they are very good, but don't work well as a unit because in the many poverty ridden areas of Africa, nobody teaches you those tactics at a grassroots level.

You just need to be a good individual players, which is why so many quality European teams hire African players who are good offensive types.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Japan definitely needs to work on their passing game. A lot of Ivory Coast's opportunities came from their bad passes. Here's hoping they can get a second goal and hold it down because at this rate it's only a matter of time before Ivory Coast will get a lead on them.

BunnyBear

The hyperbole in this thread is just embarrassing most of the time. Sigh.

Great display from England,

This Ivory Coast/Japan game ain't bad either.

Highlight of the Japan Ivory Coast game for me has been the extremely unexpected "PUTO" after each goal kick.

Note: Thats not common in Brazil, for whatever reason the stadium is full of mexicans

Any attacking player can look good in the Eredivisie. Altidore scored multiple goals in one season for example.
I've pointed out several times that strikers that do well in the Eredivisie typically fail elsewhere. Altidore, Van Wolfswinkel, Ruiz(winger, but still), Vleminckx, there's tons more but it's late and my brain don't work.

Ajax strikers are the exception to the rule, see Suarez and Huntelaar :)

This world cup has been great so far, my wofe bouht my 7 year old son the Panininalbum a monyh ago and since then he got oretty hyped for the tournament. He has watched several games with me and he wears a football kid everyday as soon as he comes back from school and plays with his football all day around the house. My wife got him the Argentina and Germany kits today and he's excited to watch Messi tomorrow.
Seems like my kid, I am Argentinian and my wife German, WC is always a tense time in my household.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom