• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Deadrising 3 needs some infected super powers
prototype22014-09-0718okig.png

shift2014-09-0611-51-bmjj4.png

BONKERS

He definitely does. Some details about the dev mode and fly script in the comments here.

This is really cool, I like what your doing with the technicolor and filmgrain to give it that authentic look. It is very close to some of those images in the RAR file. I'd really like to know what your sweetfx file looks like.

What are doing for filmgrain as well? I found that downsampling from large resolutions had a detrimental effect on the look of the grain...which is great if you want to remove it from a game but not so much when you want that effect.

I'm using a grain texture I generated with photoshop to try and mimmick the grain seen in reference shots like that, 2048x2048 only works in DX9. Used it to replace the grain texture Boulotaur2024 included with his sweetFX version that had Film grain.

Oddly enough though, with this grain texture beyond a resolution over Xx2048 however it ends up being tiled/stretched or whatever somehow looks not terrible when downsampling

Here's one of the raw 1620p shots for example
There is one bug with it though, where the grain will randomly become pixellation instead of grain. It only happens randomly and a restart fixes it. I don't know if is a specific problem with my setup, or the combination of stuff being forced. But it only happens once in a while. (I had a picture of it, but I may have deleted it)

In regards to sweetFX setup, other relevant information for AA/AO and download links, there's my original post here
ibg915jRrPRZDv.jpg

ibmRlMAo2Daa7O.jpg

BONKERS

ibigPn90i7eZp4.jpg

iKsvNxqarfeiP.jpg

(^ Lol what is with the soldiers to the right? I have to assume they have handcuffs on or something. Otherwise looks like they walkin like tards)

One3rd

In regards to sweetFX setup, other relevant information for AA/AO and download links, there's my original post here
Thanks for this, there's a lot of great information in that post. I've bookmarked it for when I get in to Mafia II again.

The film grain looks pretty good at that 1620p shot you posted. It's more in line with stock from that era than what I've recently been shooting. I'm using the film grain algorithm Alo81 ported into GeDoSaTo but think I need to increase the grain size for downsampled shots.

PhilGPT

Coincidence, I took some shots of Mafia last night too :)
15181732912_f8ecd29a62_o.jpg

iKsvNxqarfeiP.jpg

(^ Lol what is with the soldiers to the right? I have to assume they have handcuffs on or something. Otherwise looks like they walkin like tards)
I think he's actually holding a gun... the DoF, color of his uniform and color of his gun all just makes it seem like he has nothing in his hands :)

BONKERS

I think he's actually holding a gun... the DoF, color of his uniform and color of his gun all just makes it seem like he has nothing in his hands :)

Ah, i totally see it now. :p
ibi6MryoQn7Nev.jpg

ibpJCfcJe8skBu.jpg

Thanks for this, there's a lot of great information in that post. I've bookmarked it for when I get in to Mafia II again.

The film grain looks pretty good at that 1620p shot you posted. It's more in line with stock from that era than what I've recently been shooting. I'm using the film grain algorithm Alo81 ported into GeDoSaTo but think I need to increase the grain size for downsampled shots.

I think it's definitely down to taste/preference, also what you want to do with/how you want to present the game creator's vision for the world they made.

I remember Mafia 2 looking utterly mindblowing when I played it at first, but jeez man its aged badly. At least the outdoor scenes have, indoors, and character models, look nice still.

dr_rus

I remember Mafia 2 looking utterly mindblowing when I played it at first, but jeez man its aged badly. At least the outdoor scenes have, indoors, and character models, look nice still.

It actually looks quite good even now if you get rid of all the blurring-noising filters which are smacked on top of it by default.

Boss Man

Man, I think Skyrim is going to be the first thing I play when I get my PC built. I can't stand the actual game (noodle swords and copy/paste dungeons), but with mods it is just too gorgeous.

Shumafuk

Man, I think Skyrim is going to be the first thing I play when I get my PC built. I can't stand the actual game (noodle swords and copy/paste dungeons), but with mods it is just too gorgeous.

Yea, game is incredibly boring and repetitive. I spent more time by tweaking/modding than actually playing it=D

One3rd

Damit, anyone know how to get url of full size picture faster than 5 clicks in Firefox? Thx.
Sorry, don't know about FF. I switched from that to Chrome when Flickr changed how that was done. I now use Chrome + OG Flickr extension. Two clicks and you have the original URL.

Alo81 put together this much needed extension. Also see this post.

BONKERS

Texture and model (Body wise)quality ( as well as some z-fighting/Z-depth issues) are really the sore points as it's aged. I still think it looks pretty good though. It's no GTA V, but it doesn't have a fraction of the budget either.

igBihD6x0peIx.jpg

iz3V0XOgHzwGk.jpg

265550_2014-09-10_0002rohj.png

265550_2014-09-10_000repus.png

I think the game will actually look pretty nice in a few years once we it can be ran at higher resolutions without having the framerate be in the single digits. Lot of poor textures all around but the scale and lighting are generally impressive. Just a shame that the IQ is still so bad.

BONKERS

Yeah it's like others have shown. When you can do something about decent AA/IQ the game looks pretty good.

Maybe i'll have to wait for the GTX 1180 Ti Turbo to play this game >_>

Top Bottom