• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

midhras

Those Mafia II character models look even better than they actually are. I really like how they managed to make the hair look so impressive.

orava

15032298228_5022eb59e6_o.png

15195853546_203f46e7c5_o.png

Love that track. 20km of coastal bliss.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
In-game maxed, 8K Bilinear (forgot to set it to Bicubic or Lanczos) downsampling:
15196624676_d86a3a70ce_o.jpg
Am getting around 20-30fps w/8K (60 w/4K), some possible headroom there for 12K shots. I'll take some bicubic or lanczos shots later tonight after work when I get a chance, GeDoSaTo works very nicely with the game.

BONKERS

Use bicubic plz. GeDoSaTo is closer to Lanczos 2, which oversharpens the image. And by the looks of that, bilinear is even sharp enough without being over sharp.
ibcESWqsa5otn5.jpg

ibfzKYMO3Qftjw.jpg

Good seeing Mafia 2 again. Really enjoyed that game a lot.

About to cross off another old game in my backlog. Mini Ninjas is a fun little game. Great colour and image quality when downsampled too.

15033692898_8c0e3236b0_o.jpg

15033489829_371ec00e33_o.jpg

Just 1 more.

15218071741_83ca731493_o.jpg

Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
My eyes hurt when I see you
Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
No option in the menu

Your reds and blues will always show
That shader is a huge no-no.
Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
I don't know why Dice loves you...

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Use bicubic plz. GeDoSaTo is closer to Lanczos 2, which oversharpens the image. And by the looks of that, bilinear is even sharp enough without being over sharp.
Thanks, good reminder. I think I remember posting a bicubic and lanczos comparison of Witcher 2 where lanczos was too sharp and bicubic indeed looked better. I do like using lanczos for Divinity OS.

How did you hide the HUD?
There's an in-game opacity slider that can be used to dim or hide the hud. I wish every game had that option.

Still at work, I'll try capturing some more screenshots in a while when am off. I also have Fable Lost Chapters installed and was thinking of doing a quick comparison between it and Anniversary.

BONKERS

Thanks, good reminder. I think I remember posting a bicubic and lanczos comparison of Witcher 2 where lanczos was too sharp and bicubic indeed looked better. I do like using lanczos for Divinity OS.

There's an in-game opacity slider that can be used to dim or hide the hud. I wish every game had that option.

Still at work, I'll try capturing some more screenshots in a while when am off. I also have Fable Lost Chapters installed and was thinking of doing a quick comparison between it and Anniversary.

Yup. And yeah Lanczos2 can look ok for some stuff. But in general, at least just to me. It's pretty bad. Lanczos3 though , better by a mile.

Also: Do that comparison! I'd love to see it!

iUBooYVmGU9oH.jpg

^That shot is out of focus for just about everything. I had to think about what was actually happening here for a minute

iKDfUZtlEFV5Q.jpg

As i've played Mafia 2 on my 3rd playthrough now over the course of 70+ hours. The best thing it could ever use beyond technical issues being fixed (Like low Z-precision especially in the distance, which results in quite a bit of Z-Fighting)is simply better textures. Would make a world of difference.

Yup. And yeah Lanczos2 can look ok for some stuff. But in general, at least just to me. It's pretty bad. Lanczos3 though , better by a mile.

A lot of people in here love to resample images with bicubic sharp in photoshop. Lanczos2 is blurry compared to that =P

Most of what I post is lanczos2 unless I'm doing my sharpening in-game (in which case, I use lanczos3). Though these are filters in faststone. Not sure how they compare to others. The GeDoSaTo lanczos filter is way sharper than the lanczos2 I use to downsample images.

BONKERS

Ha, well. Personally I haven't used BiSharp in ages (or at least what feels like ages). I either only use Bilinear to simulate what I actually see via driver downsampling a lot of times or just use Bicubic.

But also:

BiSharp sharper than L2?

you are actually right! It is indeed sharper slightly.

there is more noticeable ringing with BiSharp too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just 1 more.

15218071741_83ca731493_o.jpg

Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
My eyes hurt when I see you
Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
No option in the menu

Your reds and blues will always show
That shader is a huge no-no.
Oh CA tree Oh CA tree,
I don't know why Dice loves you...

As a lover of all effects whacky and appreciator of CA... yeah the CA is a bit bad there.

URL="http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/91424"]BiSharp sharper than L2? [/URL]

Well, I only have lanczos2 via FastStone to go by. The differences I see are usually much bigger than what I saw in your comparison.

Battlefield 4 example:

(Bicubic Sharp is really dirty looking in this first one)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/91429

And a Wolfenstein example for good measure:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/91433

Big differences there too.

BONKERS

Well, I only have lanczos2 via FastStone to go by. The differences I see are usually much bigger than what I saw in your comparison.

Battlefield 4 example:

(Bicubic Sharp is really dirty looking in this first one)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/91429

And a Wolfenstein example for good measure:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/91433

Big differences there too.

That's exactly what I used. Lanczos2 from faststone vs Bisharp from Photoshop.

Infranview's Lanczos setting is even worse than Lanczos2 for example. And compared to L3 from FS, oh man it looks bad. (Old comparison I did) (Actually had to search the site for that, in the process I found this which seems to be another you made? Differences definitely seem less pronounced. )

But i'm sure I mentioned it at some point prior. It definitely depends on content, like with Wolf when people were first posting screens of it downsampled from high ratios. Lanczos2 was making it look really bad and actually creating aliasing that shouldn't be there.

And your examples do show more of a difference based on the content vs my comparison as well.

Either way, I still prefer Bicubic/Lanczos3 over both. But people should def continue to use what they like regardless.

orava

15040683440_4c0cfcf108_o.png

15040789008_716d21d9db_o.png

Just digging trough screenshots folder. Taken during normal gameplay so the quality is not the cleanest.

That Skyrim panorama shot :eek:

BONKERS

Here's something =P But man I'd really love for there to be some kind of nice AA options. These are down from 3200x1800.

starcitizen2014-09-130skkm.png

My Aurora looking puny in the revamped and much larger hangar.

starcitizen2014-09-13nfkhj.png

Racing map.

SC has so much shader/specular aliasing it's crazy. It's really the only thing holding it back from looking like CG pretty much.

orava

15229281595_34e732141a_o.png

15043159567_09f1646db8_o.png

One of my all time favorite games. Glidewrapper + sweetfx smaa was used. This would probably look better with lower resolution and jaggies...

Not sure if ok to post screens like this. Is there a thread for older games?

Top Bottom