• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dark Souls 2 lets you utilize 3D like no other.

darksoulsii022_cropped_by_aloo81-d7yr7bl.jpg

darksoulsii032_by_aloo81-d7yr7b9.jpg

Full sized versions: 1 2 3

Dark Souls 2 lets you utilize 3D like no other.

In what way do you mean? Are there custom 3D options or does it just generally look good in 3D?

I have had my 3DVision drivers uninstalled for as long as I can remember, never really finding many decent looking 3D games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
In what way do you mean? Are there custom 3D options or does it just generally look good in 3D?

I have had my 3DVision drivers uninstalled for as long as I can remember, never really finding many decent looking 3D games.

It's not the perfect choice in that there are little bugs, like shadows rendering at the wrong depth and some reflections rendering incorrectly. But, I say it utilizes 3D like no other in that when everything lines up just right, the sense of place, the scale of everything, and the overall presence of feeling like a small piece in this giant daunting world really feels like something special.

If you're looking for decent looking 3D games, you should head to the Nvidia 3D vision forums. A lot of people doing great stuff and several threads about recommending specific games. My biggest recommendation would probably go to Rayman Legends or Bit.Trip Runner 2 if you like side scrolling platformers. My experience with Rayman Origins (and by extension Rayman Legends) is what made me fall in love with 3D gaming. It's in my top 3 all time gaming experiences, alongside Dark Souls 1 and fully learning to appreciate Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for the insane amount of creativity it provides.

Huh....RE6 does look quite good with those HD texture mods.

Almost makes me want to replay it.

But then I remember how I didn't really like RE6 that much.
It was ok but I played it on easy to just blow through the story as fast as I could.

It's not the perfect choice in that there are little bugs, like shadows rendering at the wrong depth and some reflections rendering incorrectly. But, I say it utilizes 3D like no other in that when everything lines up just right, the sense of place, the scale of everything, and the overall presence of feeling like a small piece in this giant daunting world really feels like something special.

If you're looking for decent looking 3D games, you should head to the Nvidia 3D vision forums. A lot of people doing great stuff and several threads about recommending specific games. My biggest recommendation would probably go to Rayman Legends or Bit.Trip Runner 2 if you like side scrolling platformers. My experience with Rayman Origins (and by extension Rayman Legends) is what made me fall in love with 3D gaming. It's in my top 3 all time gaming experiences, alongside Dark Souls 1 and fully learning to appreciate Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for the insane amount of creativity it provides.

If you cross your eyes and do that trick to see it in 3D, it really does work here.
It is awesome, haha.

15207656732_6b74c017c4_k_d.jpg

The issue I had with Dark Souls 2 is that you never get any real sense of scale. And any attempt at making the world feel larger just felt fake, like how you can see Heide's Tower of Flame and Drangleic Castle from Majula. It just makes everywhere feel so close. Even though Drangleic is supposed to be a continent, it felt smaller than Lordran which is a city.

robgrab

There have been some absolutely gorgeous screenshots from Remember Me on this thread. I just picked it up on Steam for $5.99 and now I'm looking for the essential mods you guys use to make it look so good. I'm assuming SweetFX is one of them. What's the best preset?

Shumafuk

There have been some absolutely gorgeous screenshots from Remember Me on this thread. I just picked it up on Steam for $5.99 and now I'm looking for the essential mods you guys use to make it look so good. I'm assuming SweetFX is one of them. What's the best preset?

K-Putt's SweetFX I guess. Don't forget to "remove grain" mod.

midhras

midhras, your Disho shots are... well, I can't find the words.

Hey thanks. I'm not far into the game yet because I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a way to build on but not destroy the game's aesthetic. I often try to find a personal way to show off a game's art (mostly because finding an angle that's good enough to stand on its own is so hard). So using shaders won't be everyone's cup of tea, surely. I'm liking the results so far.

This looks like concept art, holy shit.
Ha, surely because the shot consists mostly of a single texture that was painted by one of the game's artists. But really, I like how they managed to make the finished game resemble the concept art so well. You don't get that painted quality in a game often.

Also, care to share your DS2 ENB settings? Because those look awesome as well :)
Sure. Here's my collection on a Google Drive. I've linked to these from my DaS2 Flickr album's most recent shots as well. If you lose this link, you can always check out my stuff there. I usually link to stuff I've used in my photo descriptions.
These DLC shots were done with tweaked settings which I've not shared yet, though. I ramped up the point lighting curves a heap and had to tone down my heavy bloom some. Dark Souls 2 has very temperamental lighting changes between areas, and it's hard to compensate fully in an ENB. I've never released my own configs for DaS2 for that specific reason. I'll put my current config there with the others shortly.

Nibel

Sure. Here's my collection on a Google Drive. I've linked to these from my DaS2 Flickr album's most recent shots as well. If you lose this link, you can always check out my stuff there. I usually link to stuff I've used in my photo descriptions.
These DLC shots were done with tweaked settings which I've not shared yet, though. I ramped up the point lighting curves a heap and had to tone down my heavy bloom some. Dark Souls 2 has very temperamental lighting changes between areas, and it's hard to compensate fully in an ENB. I've never released my own configs for DaS2 for that specific reason. I'll put my current config there with the others shortly.

Awesome! Thanks a lot :)

Top Bottom