• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

ScRYeD

12673272344_9b3477c2ca_o.jpg

12672796475_abe6561020_o.jpg

Antonymity

Neo Member
DC9.jpg

FC9.jpg

Again I'm just using in-game settings with resolution downsampling. I found a .dll trick to disable the UI. If there's a way to get better quality from screenshots I'd love to know. I guess I feel mine don't quite hold up to a lot of these that have been posted, but perhaps the limitations may be on the game's artists end, and not my ability to press a keyboard key.

Thorgal

DC9.jpg

FC9.jpg

Again I'm just using in-game settings with resolution downsampling. I found a .dll trick to disable the UI. If there's a way to get better quality from screenshots I'd love to know. I guess I feel mine don't quite hold up to a lot of these that have been posted, but perhaps the limitations may be on the game's artists end, and not my ability to press a keyboard key.

Could you give me that ,dll trick ?

I wanted to take a few more shots of that game but couldn't find a way to get rid of the hud.

Antonymity

Neo Member

I wanted to take a few more shots of that game but couldn't find a way to get rid of the hud.

Sure thing.

Go to the game's /bin directory and you'll need to edit one of two files. If you're using DirectX 9 in game, the file you want is FC3.dll. If you're using DirectX 11 in game, you want FC3_d3d11.dll. ***MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE EDITING***

Now that you've found the file, go find yourself a hex editor (I use HxD). Once you've got that, open the appropriate .dll file in the hex editor and search for "showuielement". Look on the right for where it says "S . h . o . w . U . I . E . l . e . m . e . n . t" and change it so it says "H . i . d . e . " in place of show.

You might see that it already has a line that says "hide" but ignore that and just change the one that says "show". Then launch the game and you'll be UI-less.

Keep in mind if you want to play the game like this, you won't see anything at all - no "Hold E to open", nothing context-sensitive, which can cause you to miss an important popup and end your life. I would just use this for screenshotting and then place the original .dll file back.

Stein3x

If i remember Lingon's Trainer gives you the option to enable/disable HUD on the fly which is really nice for both screenshots and gameplay. If you go manually you have to exit the game each time you (don't)want HUD & replace the dll

Ombala

Havent played Far Cry on my PC yet but are the weapon textures really supposed too look like that? I find them being pretty poor.

Thorgal

If i remember Lingon's Trainer gives you the option to enable/disable HUD on the fly which is really nice for both screenshots and gameplay. If you go manually you have to exit the game each time you (don't)want HUD & replace the dll

Do you have a link ?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hopefully these will work OK, hosted on the SkyOneDrive
4K downsampled, I would actually use that res in game if the thing had proper UI scaling.

ffxiv_2014_02_21_21_57_15_108.bmp

ffxiv_2014_02_21_22_22_02_766.bmp

BONKERS

DC9.jpg

FC9.jpg

1. Much compression yeah?
2. Downsample your images before you post them.
3. Fix these two issues and you are fine.

BONKERS

Hopefully these will work OK, hosted on the SkyOneDrive
4K downsampled, I would actually use that res in game if the thing had proper UI scaling.

ffxiv_2014_02_21_21_57_15_108.bmp

ffxiv_2014_02_21_22_22_02_766.bmp

I freaking know right? Ugh, HOW can they possibly not see that?

Downsampling+FXAA has better performance than SGSSAA and better IQ(Not AA quality though). But it's unplayable because of the shit UI.

WHY can't they just add a fixed scale button with a 2ndary option to choose the target scale (IE: Scale of the ui fixed to the scale of 1280x720)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I freaking know right? Ugh, HOW can they possibly not see that?

Downsampling+FXAA has better performance than SGSSAA and better IQ(Not AA quality though). But it's unplayable because of the shit UI.

WHY can't they just add a fixed scale button with a 2ndary option to choose the target scale (IE: Scale of the ui fixed to the scale of 1280x720)

Indeed. The game looks amazing and is very playable on my GTX 780, but the UI issues means I couldn't play at that res.

Of course they're not alone with issues like this, but still. Thankfully Warframe recently updated their in game UI so I can play that downsampled, but I have to turn the res down in the main menus because they don't scale that :/

soontroll

Banned
Not sure on the compression. I used FRAPS to take the screenshots, saving them as JPEGs. Is there an ideal screenshotting tool?

Don't save as JPEG since Fraps compresses the image to shit. Use BMP and then convert to 100% quality JPEG using something like FastStone Image Viewer.

riflen

Sure thing.

Go to the game's /bin directory and you'll need to edit one of two files. If you're using DirectX 9 in game, the file you want is FC3.dll. If you're using DirectX 11 in game, you want FC3_d3d11.dll. ***MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE EDITING***

Now that you've found the file, go find yourself a hex editor (I use HxD). Once you've got that, open the appropriate .dll file in the hex editor and search for "showuielement". Look on the right for where it says "S . h . o . w . U . I . E . l . e . m . e . n . t" and change it so it says "H . i . d . e . " in place of show.

You might see that it already has a line that says "hide" but ignore that and just change the one that says "show". Then launch the game and you'll be UI-less.

Keep in mind if you want to play the game like this, you won't see anything at all - no "Hold E to open", nothing context-sensitive, which can cause you to miss an important popup and end your life. I would just use this for screenshotting and then place the original .dll file back.

Print Screen key takes HUD-less screeenshots. As far as I can tell, they are lossless PNG.

riflen

That doesn't work for every game though. I've often used Print Screen, opened up image editor, and pasted in a big black square :\

I am specifically referring to Far Cry 3. Screenshots are written to \Users\<username>\Documents\my games\Far Cry 3\Screenshots.

Antonymity

Neo Member
Trying this again with the tips from the other users. Same spots in-game to compare the quality. Saved images as .bmp and used FastStone to resize and covert to .jpg. Used Nvidia Inspector to set up 4x SGSSA. *crosses fingers*

ID9.jpg

JD9.jpg

Pjsprojects

First let me say sorry for these shots... these will be my only pics of this game as i'm never loading it up again.

Rambo at 1080p - how on earth this can be worth £25 is a joke, what utter crap & much worse than even the reviews say it is!

ibjU4maLd4U7Ua.png

iRsVrdHXmv8JF.png

Top Bottom