• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Draft |OT| Destroying careers before they start (if you're the first pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather have Smart if we're going PG with the pick.

Smart is not a PG at the next level IMO. Haven't seen much of Payton but he sounds like Rondo w/o the moodiness and shitty attitude.

That said, teams shitty enough to find themselves in the lottery should not draft for need. Take the best player available. If he's great, he'll find a way to get on the court somewhere.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pistons don't have a first this year so I guess I can skip the draft.

Unless SVG cons the kings out of 8 for josh smith

Thanks, Dumars! So glad that he's finally done destroying the team.

Squalor

Pistons don't have a first this year so I guess I can skip the draft.

Unless SVG cons the kings out of 8 for josh smith
I don't think even the Timberwolves would make such a stupid decision.

Though, having the eighth pick is not an enviable position.

Squalor

Is there any reason to think Doug McDermott isn't just Jimmer Fredette 2.0?
So a white guy who can shoot is automatically a significantly shorter white guy who can shoot?

What?

I don't believe in McDermott's NBA prospects, but it's a ridiculous comparison.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh I'm sure we'll be cursing SVG after he trades moose for scraps and plays josh at the 4 all year. At least we will have a lottery pick next year.

I find it hard to believe SVG will make as many terrible moves as Dumars did. I mean, the last five years. I still have no idea what he was trying to do.

DominoKid

the only mock draft you need

BrBR2tWCUAEM_MH.jpg

Mxrz

Think I'm about done with the Magic. Not many ties left to the area. Organization hasn't done dick even with what seemed like talent a year ago. Biggest draft in years, and they can't/wont do anything to move up.

Update to potential Raps/Grizz trade: Deal would more likely send No. 37 with John Salmons to Memphis for Tayshaun Prince and No. 22 pick

Not confirmed just yet.
Masai just amazing. Getting value for Salmons and getting another 1st rounder. Tayshaun Prince is a decent defender as well solid addition at the 3 spot that the Raps were lacking.

Jarlaxle

Think I'm about done with the Magic. Not many ties left to the area. Organization hasn't done dick even with what seemed like talent a year ago. Biggest draft in years, and they can't/wont do anything to move up.

Where do you want to move up to? You are already assured one of the top 4 of Wiggins, Parker, Exum, or Embiid. Maybe even more if Cleveland selects Lavine with the #1.

Bread

Banned
Lol wtf

You guys were in the finals 5 years ago. Move on to the Heat if you're going to whine about rebuilding.

Koko

Banned
Not confirmed just yet.
Masai just amazing. Getting value for Salmons and getting another 1st rounder. Tayshaun Prince is a decent defender as well solid addition at the 3 spot that the Raps were lacking.

Raptors would still have No. 20 right? If so pretty good move by Masai.

hydruxo

Hornets better not draft McDermott. Can't afford to get another Adam Morrison bust again. Not saying McDermott is a guaranteed bust, he could turn out good, but please MJ: get someone else.

Cheddahz

Banned
t1403823600z1.png

Wiggins Hype!
I'm stealing the countdown from you and putting it into the OP (if you don't mind)!
Hornets better not draft McDermott. Can't afford to get another Adam Morrison bust again. Not saying McDermott is a guaranteed bust, he could turn out good, but please MJ: get someone else.
Honestly, if somehow...one of the higher picks is still available at the ninth pick, I think the Hornets will go with whoever that is (I hope)

Bowser

Personally I'm on the #StauskasSteamboat, but I'd take literally anyone over McDermott. Give me Stauskas, give me Harris, give me Payton, give me Gordon or Smart if they fall, hell give me Hairston. Anyone but McDermott, please.

Bowser

Lowe on the Asik trade making the points I was making way more eloquently:

The cost of all this has just been painful — Nerlens Noel, the no. 10 pick tonight, and a third first-rounder that may well fall in the lottery. The Pelicans will be better next season, but it’s not clear if this is a playoff team in the loaded West. New Orleans finished stronger than expected, at least before Davis faded out of the lineup due to injury, and Tyreke Evans went bananas as a starter down the stretch.

But last season was basically a throwaway, and it’s unclear what role Evans might play this year. Unloading Eric Gordon’s bloated contract would free a starting spot for him, but the Pelicans no longer have a tradable future pick to attach to Gordon in trade talks.

The team may also need to retain Asik after next season, when he’ll be a free agent, and re-signing him at market value would vaporize most of their projected cap room.

But this team isn’t about cap room. It’s about winning now, with players in their mid-twenties. And there may be other moves coming down the pike. But it’s unclear how much winning these guys can really do, and the risk of falling short and surrendering another lottery pick is borderline catastrophic.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/let-the-nba-trading-season-begin/

Lowe on the Asik trade making the points I was making way more eloquently:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/let-the-nba-trading-season-begin/

They seem to be making the same mistakes with Davis that Cleveland did with Bron. Surround these young transcendent talents with other young talents, not a bunch of overpaid vets. A token playoff appearance (which they still might not be good enough to get to) isn't going to do anybody any good in the long run.

It'll be interesting to see where Love ends up, as the Wolves might (should) move him sometime today. As long as it isn't that bullshit GSW "offer" that's being floated around by the media I probably will be reluctantly happy with the result as it's pretty much locked that he's ditching us next year if we keep him anyways.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
They seem to be making the same mistakes with Davis that Cleveland did with Bron. Surround these young transcendent talents with other young talents, not a bunch of overpaid vets. A token playoff appearance (which they still might not be good enough to get to) isn't going to do anybody any good in the long run.

I think I've read that their owner is near dead and wants a winner before he goes

Their moves really infuriate me

Mxrz

Where do you want to move up to? You are already assured one of the top 4 of Wiggins, Parker, Exum, or Embiid. Maybe even more if Cleveland selects Lavine with the #1.

Exum and Emiid have issues, don't they? Why not offer the moon for Parker? Next year's draft will likely suck, and so on.

The front office has been preaching draft picks since Dwight left. Sitting around while Cleveland fucks up again is pretty disheartening after watching this team tank for two years with what seemed like decent young talent. At least given how shitty the east is. Its the draft they've been waiting on, the one thats suppose to make all those "Its the 4th, clear the bench!" games make sense.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be interesting to see where Love ends up, as the Wolves might (should) move him sometime today. As long as it isn't that bullshit GSW "offer" that's being floated around by the media I probably will be reluctantly happy with the result as it's pretty much locked that he's ditching us next year if we keep him anyways.
I'm more okay with it if they get Green instead of fucking Barnes and can dump Lee on some other team. There's just so little to build around with that trade. They'll continue to tread water in an insanely tough conference. I guess it's better than the years of 15 wins, but not by much.

I'm more okay with it if they get Green instead of fucking Barnes and can dump Lee on some other team. There's just so little to build around with that trade. They'll continue to tread water in an insanely tough conference. I guess it's better than the years of 15 wins, but not by much.

The coach is the President of Basketball Ops. All he wants to do is tread water. He's not interested in coaching a rebuilding team that wins 20 games and putting that on his resume (even though that's what Minny needs to do). This is why your coach shouldn't be your GM/Pres.

Koko

Banned
Chad Ford @chadfordinsider · 32m

Re: Reports that Cavs are asking for 3, 10 & 32 from Sixers for No. 1. If Sixers tanked all year for Wiggins, they have to say yes, right?

Sixers want Wiggins that bad? Seems a little desperate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom