• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Draft |OT| Destroying careers before they start (if you're the first pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixers want Wiggins that bad? Seems a little desperate to me.

Damn, there's no way I'd do that if I were the Sixers. I know Wiggins has the potential to be amazing, but I'd rather use the couple of lottery picks I have to have a higher chance of them panning out rather than go all in on a single player. It's not like they have a loaded roster where the rookies won't get any development time or anything, either.

Sixers want Wiggins that bad? Seems a little desperate to me.

I wouldn't do it. #3 guarantees you one of Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, or Exum, and you still get a solid prospect at #10, not to mention a potential contributor with #32. I could see it if it was for LeBron in that draft, but Wiggins hasn't shown enough to separate himself from the other top 3 guys, and I still like Embiid best of all.

BrFZ0MJCcAAQe45.jpg

LMAO

BadAss2961

Damn, there's no way I'd do that if I were the Sixers. I know Wiggins has the potential to be amazing, but I'd rather use the couple of lottery picks I have to have a higher chance of them panning out rather than go all in on a single player. It's not like they have a loaded roster where the rookies won't get any development time or anything, either.
Other than the fact that it's possible Wiggins could fall to #3 anyway, I don't mind that trade.

More than anything, Sixers obviously just want a "star." If he's good, there's a lot of money to be made with Wiggins.

Hoping that the Celtics can swing a trade for Love. If not, getting Embiid would be nice if his medical records look okay. I doubt either of those things happen so I would be cool with Gordon if he's there.

I'm also waiting to see how the Cavs screw up this year. I'm guessing by trading Wiggins to the Sixers for 3 and 10. Wiggins becomes a star and they blow 3 and 10 on average players.

Reave

Exum and Emiid have issues, don't they? Why not offer the moon for Parker? Next year's draft will likely suck, and so on.

The front office has been preaching draft picks since Dwight left. Sitting around while Cleveland fucks up again is pretty disheartening after watching this team tank for two years with what seemed like decent young talent. At least given how shitty the east is. Its the draft they've been waiting on, the one thats suppose to make all those "Its the 4th, clear the bench!" games make sense.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but if the Cavs weren't interested in making a deal for the first pick, I'm not sure how we can fault Orlando for that. Besides, offering the moon for Parker/Wiggins would just lead to another shit season if it took giving away their few prospects just to get one of them.

If anything, I think they should just grab Embiid at #4, Elfrid Payton at #12 (or Ennis) and let Jameer walk.

Takuan

WTF is with NBA players dressing all fruity these days ?

Next thing we know, they'll be settin' fruity picks and calling plays like "Computer Blue" or "Darling Pickie".

Is that Tyler Ennis in the red? He's rocking that suit well, imo.

Reave

Next thing we know, they'll be settin' fruity picks and calling plays like "Computer Blue" or "Darling Pickie".

Is that Tyler Ennis in the red? He's rocking that suit well, imo.

Blouses in next year's draft confirmed.

Koko

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 6s

Charlotte remains focused on a shooter with No. 9. Doug McDermott is No. 1 choice, Nik Stauskas Plan B, sources tell Yahoo.

It's happening.

Tenumi

Banned
Hmm... I barely watch basketball, but the draft shows are always a bit funny to watch, not to mention the ridiculous suits. Think I'll probably watch a bit tonight.

Shame that the Pistons don't have a pick because of Cleveland's "jump". Probably the only pick I'm interested in, being the closest I have to a team to root for.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 2m
Barring an 11th hour offer, Cleveland plans to keep No. 1 pick and choose between Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, source tells Yahoo.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 1m
Philadelphia is no longer pursuing a deal with Cleveland for the No. 1 pick, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

He's coming straight out of high school playing against inferior competition and barely anyone has seen him play. He's a bit of a mystery man.

Mainly his body and the lack of data against high-level competition.

Fair enough. I was telling all my basketball friends that I thought he should play a couple of seasons of college and aim to be a top 5 draft pick. I'm surprised he is tasked about as a top4 draft pick.

I find this highly interesting. I don't really understand how it works though. It almost seems like a lottery or an auction of sorts.

Can someone explain the basics of the system please? Just something short would be great.

Bowser

Fair enough. I was telling all my basketball friends that I thought he should play a couple of seasons of college and aim to be a top 5 draft pick. I'm surprised he is tasked about as a top4 draft pick.

He's definitely going top 5. May go as high as #2 to the Bucks if the Cavs take Parker. He was getting looks from all the major colleges as well (UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, etc).

I find this highly interesting. I don't really understand how it works though. It almost seems like a lottery or an auction of sorts.

Can someone explain the basics of the system please? Just something short would be great.

It's actually exactly that. Every team gets ping pong balls thrown in a "hat", the worst teams get more ping pong balls (higher chance to win top pick), then they hold a drawing and the draft order is determined.

Edit: I explained that wrong. Not every team is involved in the lottery, just the worst teams overall.

All the teams who didn't make the playoffs this season were entered in the lottery. The worse the record, the better the odds they got. The top 3 picks were awarded by drawings. Then after that teams go in order of worst record to best record, with the playoff teams coming after the lottery teams.

Teams are also allowed to trade picks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom