• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
Bf4t6dICUAA4kdc.png

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Snaq had some amazing runs of games statwise too.

That's why I laughed at Shaq saying on TNT that he would take a hard-working less talented guy like Noah over the more talented lazy player... which was an obvious dig at Howard without saying his name.

But it's like... Shaq... he wasn't exactly known for being that hard-working player and if he had half the drive that Kobe had, he would've been a 35-40PPG.

29.7PPG is nothing to scoff at, but how he never had a season above that 30PPG threshold considering there was no other player that could even match up to him athletically is beyond me.

And really, it all could be pointed to his lazy ass effort when it comes to free-throw shooting.

exarkun

Sometimes I wonder how some players develop the way they do.

For example Harrison Barnes. Great shooter, elite size, ridiculous athleticism, 38 inch no step vert

result: ass

I was gonna make excuses like shaken confidence, fewer minutes, Iggy fucked up his game, etc. Buuuut hes had more minutes per game, and mayyybe he doesnt like the the new rotations, but dunno.

Maybe if he starts he'd really pick up.

Eh, 30 ppg for a center is fucking crazy in any era post 3 point line. He'd need an absurd amount of shots per game to hit what you're saying.

That's why I laughed at Shaq saying on TNT that he would take a hard-working less talented guy like Noah over the more talented lazy player... which was an obvious dig at Howard without saying his name.

But it's like... Shaq... he wasn't exactly known for being that hard-working player and if he had half the drive that Kobe had, he would've been a 35-40PPG.

29.7PPG is nothing to scoff at, but how he never had a season above that 30PPG threshold considering there was no other player that could even match up to him athletically is beyond me.

And really, it all could be pointed to his lazy ass effort when it comes to free-throw shooting.

Shaq's poor free throw shooting cost him over 5,000 points!

Sometimes I wonder how some players develop the way they do.

For example Harrison Barnes. Great shooter, elite size, ridiculous athleticism, 38 inch no step vert

result: ass

He has no coordination/agility. Same problems as Marvin Williams, Wesley Johnson, Ben McLemore, Derrick Williams, Joe Alexander, and all those other guys that jump 42+ inches into the air and look like they should be really good shooters, but hugely disappoint in the NBA.

so no nick young, no farmar, and steve blake is game time decision, but steve nash is back though. let's all hope philly doesn't fuck this up the way that shitty ass franchise did a couple of days ago

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hmm harrison barnes for jeff green... Good to get rid of Jeff, but sending that draft pick with it? Not sure how I feel about that, haven't liked what I've seen of Harrison Barnes.

Tom Penny

Hmm harrison barnes for jeff green... Good to get rid of Jeff, but sending that draft pick with it? Not sure how I feel about that, haven't liked what I've seen of Harrison Barnes.

It's more about dumping his salary and acquiring a player that does have a ton of talent. Unless Green is going to the line 6-10 times a game until the deadline I'm down to just get rid of him. He's only good if he attacks which is far and few between.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's more about dumping his salary and acquiring a player that does have a ton of talent. Unless Green is going to the line 6-10 times a game until the deadline I'm down to just get rid of him. He's only good if he attacks which is far and few between.

Don't get wrong I think Jeff Green is arguably the worst player on the roster especially with that ridiculous contract. I guess I just had high hopes on how the league viewed Jeff, Danny just waited too long to pull the trigger on this garbage player. I don't know how it took him so long to see what everyone else has known for so long now.

Smokey

I wonder if morey da wizard is gonna make a move. The emergence of tjones has quieted the idea of getting a PF.

Could use another shooter tho...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I wonder if morey da wizard is gonna make a move. The emergence of tjones has quieted the idea of getting a PF.

Could use another shooter tho...
Need a player that can play great defense and that can shoot.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I see a bunch of NCAAB fans making shitty suggestions in the OT NBA thread on what needs to be done to improve the NBA's popularity versus the NFL.

Cheddahz

Banned
I see a bunch of NCAAB fans making shitty suggestions in the OT NBA thread on what needs to be done to improve the NBA's popularity versus the NFL.

The only thing I suggested is for the NBA playoffs to be shorten. I just think it would add more excitement to the playoffs if there was only one game each round, but that's just me

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The only thing I suggested is for the NBA playoffs to be shorten. I just think it would add more excitement to the playoffs if there was only one game each round, but that's just me

One game?! The problem with the NBA is the parity. So many games just aren't worth watching right now.

Cheddahz

Banned
One game?! The problem with the NBA is the parity. So many games just aren't worth watching right now.

Yeah cut it to best of 5, instead 7

I just think best of 7 is too long for a round (best of 5 or even best of 3 could work as well). I just like the idea of it only being one game per round, because each team in the game literally has one shot at making it to the next round and the playoffs wouldn't take as long as they do now

giri

No.

That would be utterly terrible and take a lot of the stratergy and planning out of the finals.

Buah?

The west has portland and the clippers and the east has chicago, brooklyn and miami as the only major media market teams in the top 8.

It's probably the closest to not dominated by major markets the NBA has had in a while.

And the West is pretty competitive top to bottom.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No.

That would be utterly terrible and take a lot of the stratergy and planning out of the finals.

Buah?

The west has portland and the clippers and the east has chicago, brooklyn and miami as the only major media market teams in the top 8.

It's probably the closest to not dominated by major markets the NBA has had in a while.

And the West is pretty competitive top to bottom.

Ok look at how the NBA is played. I mean who won the finals from 2000 to now? The lakers, the spurs, the celts, the heat, and all those teams have also been there and lost. The same 10 teams are in the lottery every year.

edit- While I know most people picked Denver/seattle for the SB, I stand by that this was an awful year for football, most of the time you have quite a few contenders. The NBA realistically has 2 or 3 teams that are going to win it.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
If you're in the lottery every year, it's because your team is poorly run. The reason the Cavaliers still suck is because Chris Grant blew 3 of his 4 lottery picks. That's a problem.

He received the benefit of the most BS reffing I've seen in my life but he never cracked 30 ppg on a season. MJ did it 8 times, and averaged 33.4 for his career in the playoffs. He's just on another level.
You knock shaq, of all people, for bs reffing and praise Jordan in the same breathe?

giri

Ok look at how the NBA is played. I mean who won the finals from 2000 to now? The lakers, the spurs, the celts, the heat, and all those teams have also been there and lost. The same 10 teams are in the lottery every year.

edit- While I know most people picked Denver/seattle for the SB, I stand by that this was an awful year for football, most of the time you have quite a few contenders. The NBA realistically has 2 or 3 teams that are going to win it.

Yes, but the new CBA, that is only 2 years in effect, is having quite a pronounced effect on how teams are going about things. The "look at the lsat 10 years" argument is of no effect today.

That players take pay cuts (marginally) to play together and form super teams, ala miami, is unstoppable by any CBA that you put in place.

fertygo

NBA actually looked good for contention parity this year, portland, indy, OKC, and spurs.. all looked good because their front office work.

If just miami big 3 broke up, thing will get real good.. come on someone, beat the hell out of miami this year.

Yes, but the new CBA, that is only 2 years in effect, is having quite a pronounced effect on how teams are going about things. The "look at the lsat 10 years" argument is of no effect today.

That players take pay cuts (marginally) to play together and form super teams, ala miami, is unstoppable by any CBA that you put in place.
Exactly. If/when Carmelo leaves New York Shitty, people will finally realize that it's a different era of ball under this new CBA. Sabermetrics, analytics, advancements in training, players teaming up at the expense of their bank accounts...this is not your pops NBA anymore. Ten years from now, people will wonder how we survived the 90s era of ball. Any team can compete now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

It's always been done and it always will be, it's the easiest league to do it in, since 1 or 2 players is enough to get you to the finals.

giri

It's always been done and it always will be, it's the easiest league to do it in, since 1 or 2 players is enough to get you to the finals.

there are very few, mainly outlier, seasons where 1 player took a team to the finals.

Typically, there are combinations of 3 guys doing it.

Last time OKC went to the finals, durant, YNB, harden.

Miami, Wade, LBJ, Bosh.

Pacers: George, Stephenson, Hibbert

Spurs: TP, TD, Manu/Green/Kawahi.

Grizz: Conley, M.Gasol, Z-Bo

The last good Celtics: PP, KG, Ray Allen.

The NBA is one of the most affected teams by the change of 1 superstar, yes, but they're not typically winning anything on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom