• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

This is pretty unethical, but it makes sense for the NBA.

Hopefully it just happens after next year (since we're going to still be bad next year and need Cliff Alexander).
It would be nice if they did something where teams were allowed to draft draft players whenever and send them to the d league till they reached the age limit.

Smokey

The D league should be renamed. The NBA has an opportunity to use it for growth of players, but that name just has a negative vibe to it.

I know the Rockets use their D league affiliate extensively. Every draft pick I can think of has gone down there. They also run the exact system the Rockets do (chuck and run) so that when they are called up they are ready to go.

I like this trade for the Clippers and Sixers:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kt5k33s

The only thing is... how are the Sixers -5 wins if they probably wouldn't have won 5 more games the rest of the season anyway? Do they take away a current win?

I dunno. I'm a little reluctant to trade away Bullock for a half-year rental. I really doubt we'll pay him what he wants when the season ends. I already feel like Doc signs too many veterans instead of taking a chance with some of the younger talent out there. Reggie hasn't really played enough for me to judge him yet.

I'm a little surprised you didn't throw Redick into that trade though. :p

I dunno. I'm a little reluctant to trade away Bullock for a half-year rental. I really doubt we'll pay him what he wants when the season ends. I already feel like Doc signs too many veterans instead of taking a chance with some of the younger talent out there. Reggie hasn't really played enough for me to judge him yet.

I'm a little surprised you didn't throw Redick into that trade though. :p

There's no way we're dumping Redick, unfortunately. There's also no way we're getting anything else decent from the Sixers other than Hawes, so why dump Redick for nothing?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ESPNSteinLine
Hearing that Knicks are trying again to re-engage Denver and sell Nuggets on idea of trade built around Shumpert-for-Faried before deadline

So everybody knows Shump sucks now and the Nuggets already said no to this deal once. Well I guess it doesn't hurt to ask again.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Out of all the shitty rookies, which look like they can turn it around? (lol)

I can at least factually defend Zeller. He can't shoot that mid-range jumper at all and we did force him to take it. I can at least find peace of mind that we were playing him out of position for the first 3 months of the season. I haven't seen enough of Porter. I'm on the fence about Burke because even though he's helping Utah win by simply being a point guard, he should be able to do a lot more considering the tools he has. Oladipo should be fine. Bennett needs to put on a plane with Biebz and sent back to Canada.

I think McCollum can play. He just needs some PT. He was fantastic last game and was damn good running backup point with Mo out.

The Washington Wizards and Indiana Pacers have been actively shopping the expiring contracts of Trevor Ariza and Danny Granger, respectively, according to sources.

But expiring contracts do not have nearly the same level of value they have in the past.

For the Pacers, they would likely only want another expiring contract in return for Granger due to their tax concerns in re-signing Lance Stephenson this offseason.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

2ox7.png

Melo, felton, JR, and THjr = 34-35

Iman's cap hold is 3.8 qualifying (lets say they don't pick up his qualifier)

what you said about the rookie is true though so lets say they are in the lottery next year and he gets 5 million

your looking at 40 (I was off by 5 million) and thats assuming they don't shed/trade players for expirings or something else

anyhow add in Max salaries for players up to 9 years in the league start at about 16

That means once again they are just under the Salary cap enough to offer 2 Max's straight up. As for those other salaries to fill out the roster they can sigh minimum salaries after reaching the cap. Or as I said the other scenario is trade for Rondo (or another 2015 expiring contract player), go over the cap getting two more max's and then resign Rondo (or the equivalent player) using the traded for bird rights.

It all comes down to a mere few million. The difference in Novak and Camby's contracts.

Iman's cap hold is 250% of his last salary by rules. Thems the rules from what I have read.

And again, you're ignoring the minimum roster spot cap hold. You have to add another $6 million into it and we'll assume Iman signs somewhere else. That;'s at least $42-46 million depending on the rookie.

Even at $42 million, that's only $18 million roughly in cap space.

In order to sign 2 max contracts at a combined $30 million (low end), you'd need to have under like $22 million in salaries total.

Take the Lakers. Even if Nash officially retires, they renounce the rights to everyone and only Kobe and Sacre, Kelly, and Marshall stay at their salaries ($26.5 mil total), they don't have 2 max roster slots. What makes you think the Knicks do?

You have to understand how cap holds work. Empty spots have a cap hold! The cap is $60 mil, not $70 mil!

That means once again they are just under the Salary cap enough to offer 2 Max's straight up. As for those other salaries to fill out the roster they can sigh minimum salaries after reaching the cap. Or as I said the other scenario is trade for Rondo (or another 2015 expiring contract player), go over the cap getting two more max's and then resign Rondo (or the equivalent player) using the traded for bird rights.

This is not legal! Rondo would have a cap hold of about $15 million or something! Him and Melo along with JR would be enough to deny you of a single max slot, most likely.

Lakers probably won't seriously contend until 2016 when Kobe is off the books

The Bron thing isn't happening nor is Melo walking through the door

Nenes contract ends when Kobes ends..

giri

Iman's cap hold is 250% of his last salary by rules. Thems the rules from what I have read.

And again, you're ignoring the minimum roster spot cap hold. You have to add another $6 million into it and we'll assume Iman signs somewhere else. That;'s at least $42-46 million depending on the rookie.

Even at $42 million, that's only $18 million roughly in cap space.

In order to sign 2 max contracts at a combined $30 million (low end), you'd need to have under like $22 million in salaries total.

Take the Lakers. Even if Nash officially retires, they renounce the rights to everyone and only Kobe and Sacre, Kelly, and Marshall stay at their salaries ($26.5 mil total), they don't have 2 max roster slots. What makes you think the Knicks do?

You have to understand how cap holds work. Empty spots have a cap hold! The cap is $60 mil, not $70 mil!

This is not legal! Rondo would have a cap hold of about $15 million or something! Him and Melo along with JR would be enough to deny you of a single max slot, most likely.
Capholds screw a lot of casual glances at future salaries into fasle senses of ZOMG FREE CAP.

They're really pretty brutal, but, realistic at the same time.

Thats why i said, it's actually really difficult to get your self into a spot like the cHeat did.

You'd have to get Melo to buy into a season of absolute suckitude, watch as EVERY player is shipped out for expirings, and then renounced, and hope the lure of NY City, Big Markets, or Melo can recruit 2 other super stars.

And if it fails, watch as Melo demands a trade and they're forced to over pay guys on 1 year contracts to make minimum salary laws.

exarkun

So its true that Shump sucks? I always thought it was a product of NY wanting to win now and he kind of clearly needed a little more development offensively, despite being the only person on the perimeter playing defense. Its actually kind of painful to see him struggle to lift the carcasses of Felton and Bargs across the finish line defensively.

Why would the Pacers shop Granger? And for whom? Trevor Ariza?

So its true that Shump sucks? I always thought it was a product of NY wanting to win now and he kind of clearly needed a little more development offensively, despite being the only person on the perimeter playing defense. Its actually kind of painful to see him struggle to lift the carcasses of Felton and Bargs across the finish line defensively.

Not sure if he really sucks or Woodson doesnt use him right but hes pretty much become a spot up 3 pt shooter whos shooting poorly. He still has problems finishing and his defense is alright but he has been abysmal all season.

I do feel like once he's out of NY he will start to become a solid role player. There are new trade rumors with him again with the Nuggets.

lol no

"Joel is beat up. He's beat up," Kansas coach Bill Self said. "I'm not going to make an excuse for him because you have to perform. But he's going to need some time off. I don't know how much time, but he's going to need some time off."

The 7-footer has been dealing with a sprained knee and back trouble over the last few weeks.

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2014/02/11/3182838/kansas-loses-as-embiid-deals-with.html#storylink=cpy

IWMTB pls

He's doesn't suck. Below average offensive player with upside and youth.

But to not deal for Kyle Lowry because you wanted to hold on to Iman Shumpert is pretty dumb. Even if Lowry didn't turn into the second best PG in the East.

If Masai extends Lowry then he'll have officially become a treadmill commander

He's a Trojan horse that Toronto and Denver fans worship until they suddenly realized doom

giri

He's a Trojan horse that Toronto and Denver fans worship until they suddenly realized doom

Whilst i'm no fan of lowry, i don't think Masai has ever been in charge long enough to become anything you've described.

In the short periods he's been in charge of teams, he's proven to be really adept at trades, cap, talent, and management in general.

Pkaz01

The media has no fucking clue at this point about who the suns are going for... everyday its a new PF. it went from young to gasol to randolph to rudy gay to bass to boozer what the fuck none of it even makes sense. Next its going to be sanders, josh smith, and who ever is left.

Although I wouldn't mind going for varejao because I love how he plays but his injuries and contract might be an issue

Then Daryl Morey must be running ironman marathons on them treadmills.

There are different ways to build a team, who knows how far that Denver team could've gotten if Gallo hadn't gotten hurt?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
one of the worst GM's paired with one of the worst franchise's.. sounds like a good idea to me.

Joe has engineered a ring... which is more than most GMs can claim...

Outside of the HUGE Darko mistake I think Joe drafts pretty well.

His free agent signings... have been fairly bad

But he wouldn't have to worry too much about that in Cleveland

giri

The media has no fucking clue at this point about who the suns are going for... everyday its a new PF. it went from young to gasol to randolph to rudy gay to bass to boozer what the fuck none of it even makes sense. Next its going to be sanders, josh smith, and who ever is left.

Although I wouldn't mind going for varejao because I love how he plays but his injuries and contract might be an issue

Varejao makes some sense, but, and i know Varejao has a better body of work, is he adding that much more than Plumlee?

A hustle / defensive orientated big that can't generate any of their own offense, but can finish. I mean, plumlee at least has some post game. AV might be a bit better on the PnR Defense, but... how much?

Throw in injuries. Contract. Age. I'm not sure AV makes a lot of sense. Noah does, he's a level above both of them. But he's not really up for grabs.

A lot of trades being thrown around are trades for trades sake.

Realistically, a lot of non playoff teams aren't making their good big, available. Love, Davis, DMC, Pek. So they're not really trade partners for the suns who want to trade an expiring and picks.

Milwaukee might, if they think Henson is enough to replace Sanders, and they get sick of Sanders shit.

If you think Gerald Green is above retaliating against wade or bron, you'd be very mistaken.
huh?

I'm saying that Dragic will most likely style on Chalmers tonight and Rio will get frustrated and do something dirty.

Gerald green and bron are bros from what I've seen. Or am I not getting the joke?

giri

huh?

I'm saying that Dragic will most likely style on Chalmers tonight and Rio will get frustrated and do something dirty.

Gerald green and bron are bros from what I've seen. Or am I not getting the joke?

I know what you meant, and i'm just saying, Gerald is the sort that doesn't mind dishing a hard foul himself.

exarkun

Then Daryl Morey must be running ironman marathons on them treadmills.

There are different ways to build a team, who knows how far that Denver team could've gotten if Gallo hadn't gotten hurt?

luuuulz, I spit my coffee out. People staring, thanks.

i agree with giri, BasedMasai has never had the chance to be a treadmill team running GM. Supposedly Lowry is a bit of a diva, but hes someone the raptors could keep as part of the core of a championship calibre team (that they dont have). So he'll get traded, but who in the east making a playoff could use him? Most of the playoff contenders in the west have their PGs of the near future. Dallas?

Fake edit: wtf, the Raptors are 3rd? Holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom