• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before tonight, they rated as the 16th worst team ever going by SRS:

http://bkref.com/tiny/KqDcg

This loss will put them close to the top 10 of the worst and they could easily move to 3rd worst by the end of the season, but the 2012 Bobcats and 1993 Mavs aren't catchable at this point.

SRS isn't adjusted for pace though and the 76ers play at a super fast pace like 80s teams which makes them rate worse than other, modern terrible teams. That the 2012 Bobcats managed a -14 margin of victory while playing at a slow pace against a schedule with few Western Conference teams is just legendary.
That Charlotte team was a special kind of bad.

speights dropped 32 on philly lmao

i

Mik317

Not even mad, Sixers getting destroyed like this isnt any worse than having to watch them fight to get to .500 with no hope of ever competing for a title. At least this means a top lotto pick.

gonna be amazing when they get Bobcat'd and fall to like 5 and Randle is the best available

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
MCW will be ROY, media members that don't really pay attention have already made up their mind.

Still plenty of season and both have been trending in opposite directions for a fair amount of time now. Oladipo has shown steady improvement over the past few, and MCW has regressed.

Mik317

Still plenty of season and both have been trending in opposite directions for a fair amount of time now. Oladipo has shown steady improvement over the past few, and MCW has regressed.

yep especially if the Sixers have the firesale they want to have

C4Lukins

So what do people think about the Mavs? Dirk is putting up numbers with lower minutes that would compete with some of his top seasons. I think he is number 6 in points per a 48 even at his age.

Monte is his best number two since maybe the Nash years, or maybe that fantastic Chandler year. Marion and Carter remain great roll players. Calderon is good at running the offense, makes few mistakes, and is elite at the three point line, with the ability to drive on occasion.

Wright, Blair, and Dalembart combine for a decent front court, and their combined statistics are worthy of note. Harris is certainly a mixed bag, but he has flourishes.

Crowder, Larkin, Ellington and Merkel all have huge upside if they can be tapped properly.

There is certainly a lot of weakness on the team, but very few black holes. They are super deep and the backups consistently outperform their opponents equivalents.

I really think they are improving, and have a shot at top 4 in the west if they can keep it together. Which would make them top 6 in the league. I think they have a lot of potential.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Melo wants the Bird rights max. I think the bulls can only give it to him if acquired in a trade.

The Knicks need some draft picks and prospects. If they can get Butler, Snell and either Mrotic or the bobcats pick, it could take them out of limbo.

For the bulls a core of Rose, melo, Noah and Taj could be fantastic.

or they can wait around 2015 drop all the deadweight on the cap and go after all the marquee talent that is a FA that summer. And Melo stays regardless for an extra 35 million guaranteed. the big misconception is that the knicks are stuck long term when damn near everyone comes off next year.

Also to put this to rest before the knicks trade Melo they would have moved Barg for J smoove if 2015 wasn't the plan.

So what do people think about the Mavs? Dirk is putting up numbers with lower minutes that would compete with some of his top seasons. I think he is number 6 in points per a 48 even at his age.

Monte is his best number two since maybe the Nash years, or maybe that fantastic Chandler year. Marion and Carter remain great roll players. Calderon is good at running the offense, makes few mistakes, and is elite at the three point line, with the ability to drive on occasion.

Wright, Blair, and Dalembart combine for a decent front court, and their combined statistics are worthy of note. Harris is certainly a mixed bag, but he has flourishes.

Crowder, Larkin, Ellington and Merkel all have huge upside if they can be tapped properly.

There is certainly a lot of weakness on the team, but very few black holes. They are super deep and the backups consistently outperform their opponents equivalents.

edit: Don't listen to the drive by comments on Giri's alts :p

I really think they are improving, and have a shot at top 4 in the west if they can keep it together. Which would make them top 6 in the league. I think they have a lot of potential.

I agree, the thing I'm concerned about is Shawn Marion's offensive downfalls. Often times when the balls passed to him he will be left open since the defense knows he won't take a shot unless it's a corner 3. When he does take shots in other spots they are often air balls.

I think Monta is great, he's the only player who is anywhere near Dirk for the most points total for the team this season. I'm not sure exactly but I think dirk is over 1k while Monta is around 900. Everyone else on the team is around 500 points total for the season give or take. He's been playing decently efficient this season to with around a .469 FGA.

While they got Charlotte today, they got the Pacers on a B2B on the road tomorrow and the Heat at home for the first game off the all-star break. It's gonna be a tough road ahead.

giri

or they can wait around 2015 drop all the deadweight on the cap and go after all the marquee talent that is a FA that summer. And Melo stays regardless for an extra 35 million guaranteed. the big misconception is that the knicks are stuck long term when damn near everyone comes off next year.

Also to put this to rest before the knicks trade Melo they would have moved Barg for J smoove if 2015 wasn't the plan.

They come off at the end of the 14/15 season.

But boozer saves them money short term. They may try to make a play to get under the luxury tax. They'll never get under the cap, but the tax..

But when you say all the money comes off, it's all the big contracts, but none of the pieces. Amare, Melo, Chandler, Bargs.

But they'll be stuck with JR, Felton and options on the rest and cap holds. The salary could be reduced to nothing. But What have they got to build with also? or trade for. You'd basically have to hope for a cHeat situation.

Zeus Molecules

They come off at the end of the 14/15 season.

But boozer saves them money short term. They may try to make a play to get under the luxury tax. They'll never get under the cap, but the tax..

But when you say all the money comes off, it's all the big contracts, but none of the pieces. Amare, Melo, Chandler, Bargs.

But they'll be stuck with JR, Felton and options on the rest and cap holds. The salary could be reduced to nothing. But What have they got to build with also? or trade for. You'd basically have to hope for a cHeat situation.

the cHeat have gone to 3 finals straight so you can't blame the knicks for copying it. Regardless of how any of us feel its effective as fuck.

Dirk is amazing and Monta is garbage. Mavs have been 10 points better with monta on the bench this year. Monta is not even one of the top 5 Mavs let alone Dirk's best #2.

Still not convinced Mavs make the playoffs with memphis on their heels. They might make it, but they're first round fodder.

the cHeat have gone to 3 finals straight so you can't blame the knicks for copying it. Regardless of how any of us feel its effective as fuck.

thats the reason they will without question Kobe Max Melo. He's the basis of everything being built up. He knows it, the knicks FO know it, hell I think the rest of the knicks know it and thats one of the reason none of them seem to give a fuck.

even with Kobe Max Melo, Felton, (who comes off that year), JR, Shump's qualifyier and Thard plus next years 2015 Rookie the Knicks will only be 35 Million in cap holds. That is a 60+ million drop from the season before of basically deadweight. I said this and was jeered but by getting Barg who comes off that year (instead of keeping novak and camby) they just get far enough under the max salary cap to have room to offer two 20 Million max's and keep all their roleplayers.

on the flip. The reason I do believe the Rondo trade rumors (but not the bulls rumors) is if they traded for him (or anybody else I assume they would want going forward past 2015) Its possible if they could still offer 2 other max contracts to 2 players with their cap room and then resign Rondo (or his equivalent) using bird rights. It would be a total of 4 max players on the roster and whatever players that weren't used in the trade for Rondo (or his equivalent) filling out the roster. It would be expensive as fuck, but it could be a monster team.

your cap math is wrong.

Melo, Felton, Jr, and THJr = $35-36 million salaries. Iman's cap hold is about $6.5 million more. That's now $41.5-42.5 cap. Then you have the draft pick which could be anywhere from $1 mil to let's say $5 million since the Knicks suck.

Then you have empty roster spot holds. Another 6 or 7 at $500k a pop min, so another $3 million. That leaves you at $45 million in a best case scenario. All will depend on the rookie's actual draft slot, but if it's high the knicks might not even have 1 max slot available with around a $60 million total salary cap and $45-50 million in cap holds.

If Shump leaves, it would open up room, of course. But there is no chance of two max contracts.

Dirk is amazing and Monta is garbage. Mavs have been 10 points better with monta on the bench this year. Monta is not even one of the top 5 Mavs let alone Dirk's best #2.

Still not convinced Mavs make the playoffs with memphis on their heels. They might make it, but they're first round fodder.

Care to back that statement up with any statistics?

A player who has a .462FG% with over 1k points for the season is garbage........?

I'm ready for tomorrow night -

PxBlnXV.jpg

1212.jpg

gf made this:

ElTKNAb.jpg

* I tried to convince her to put "#2 pick" under the "URA", but she likes KD and thought it was mean

Who are you?? Giri's alt? care to back that statement up with any statistics?

A player who has a .462FG% with over 1k points for the season is garbage........?

lol @ asking who am I.

Monta isn't in the top 7 in his team in Win Shares per 48 or even top 5 with players 500+ min on the mavs.

Monta has a WS/48 below league average.

Monta's TS% is 54%, league average, yet he has a too high 26% usage rate

Most alarmingly, the Mavs are 10 points better with him on the bench. They're 4 points better on offense without him and 6 points worse with him on defense.

This is all happening despite one of Monta's best shooting seasons of his career somewhat offset by an very high turnover rate. He's still below average by many advanced metrics and his On/Off numbers are among the worst (possibly worst) on the team. Worse than a washed up Vince Carter.

Monta is one of the worst defenders in the league, probably worst at his position and it kills his team. Calderon is awful at D too and those two playing together are getting obliterated. Oh, and his rebounding is horrific as well for a SG. In fact, the Mavs can't rebound when he's on the floor. When he's playing, they are among the worst teams in the league at rebounding, when he's off they're above average!

This has also been the same story for Monta's entire career. mediocre offense with shit defense and rebounding and always a net negative for his team as a result. Last year's on/off wasn't negative for like the first time only because he had a D-league behind him.

Monta, at best, is a 6th man off a bench.

linsivvi

Care to back that statement up with any statistics?

This isn't the 90s now. We understand the game of basketball a lot more. Citing FG% and total point scored without looking into the actual performance is meaningless.

When your WS/48 is below 0.1 on a team that wins 60% of its games, you can't be the best of anything.

While Monta can't block or defend very well, he can steal with 1.8 stlpg. While his forced jumpshots can be a problem, I don't see it as an issue when he's the only one close near Dirk for total points for the season.

I agree that Calderon and Monta are both bad together. But the rebounding stats are arguable since Carlisle often likes to play Dalembert or Blair with Wright and Marion who are much more of a defensive rebounding scheme.

Zeus Molecules

your cap math is wrong.

Melo, Felton, Jr, and THJr = $35-36 million salaries. Iman's cap hold is about $6.5 million more. That's now $41.5-42.5 cap. Then you have the draft pick which could be anywhere from $1 mil to let's say $5 million since the Knicks suck.

Then you have empty roster spot holds. Another 6 or 7 at $500k a pop min, so another $3 million. That leaves you at $45 million in a best case scenario. All will depend on the rookie's actual draft slot, but if it's high the knicks might not even have 1 max slot available with around a $60 million total salary cap and $45-50 million in cap holds.

If Shump leaves, it would open up room, of course. But there is no chance of two max contracts.

Melo, felton, JR, and THjr = 34-35

Iman's cap hold is 3.8 qualifying (lets say they don't pick up his qualifier)

what you said about the rookie is true though so lets say they are in the lottery next year and he gets 5 million

your looking at 40 (I was off by 5 million) and thats assuming they don't shed/trade players for expirings or something else

anyhow add in Max salaries for players up to 9 years in the league start at about 16

That means once again they are just under the Salary cap enough to offer 2 Max's straight up. As for those other salaries to fill out the roster they can sigh minimum salaries after reaching the cap. Or as I said the other scenario is trade for Rondo (or another 2015 expiring contract player), go over the cap getting two more max's and then resign Rondo (or the equivalent player) using the traded for bird rights.

It all comes down to a mere few million. The difference in Novak and Camby's contracts.

This isn't the 90s now. We understand the game of basketball a lot more. Citing FG% and total point scored without looking into the actual performance is meaningless.

Well I think some stats are meaningless sometimes when a coach puts a lineup of bigs against a mix lineup of smalls and bigs.

If there was a clear cut statistic of a players efficiency versus height differentials then I could take it a bit more seriously sometimes. A vague shot % never tells you about the height of the person that was guarding you and PER's are a fickle thing

linsivvi

Well I think some stats are meaningless sometimes when a coach puts a lineup of bigs against a mix lineup of smalls and bigs.

If there was a clear cut statistic of a players efficiency versus height differentials then I could take it a bit more seriously sometimes.

There's no single stats that tells you the whole picture, but many advanced stats give you a glimpse of how good players are.

FG% is useless. If you want to look at how efficiently a player scores, at least cite TS%, where he is worse than Devin Harris and way worse than Calderon, all of them at about the same height.

There's no single stats that tells you the whole picture, but many advanced stats give you a glimpse of how good players are.

FG% is useless. If you want to look at how efficiently a player scores, at least cite TS%, where he is worse than Devin Harris and way worse than Calderon, all of them at about the same height.

Well it's hard to compare since Harris was out for two months, and Calderon sat a few games out when he had knee problems. Ellis has started every game this year.

linsivvi

Well it's hard to compare since Harris was out for two months, and Calderon sat a few games out when he had knee problems. Ellis has started every game this year.

Basically you are saying let's throw away all numbers.

So why ask Mamba to back it up with stats when you're just going to justify your argument with unquantifiable things?

If there was a clear cut statistic of a players efficiency versus height differentials then I could take it a bit more seriously sometimes. A vague shot % never tells you about the height of the person that was guarding you and PER's are a fickle thing

wat is this

can someone translate?

Okay, so continue to dismiss the Mavs since none of the players do Taco Bell, State Farm, or Kia commercials :p

I'm sure Blake Griffins' post up game will carry the Clips to the finals. :D

edit: btw I don't disagree with many of Mamba's second points, only his initial assessment. Carter has been playing as of late with a +87 for a week high/

The only way to accurately look at and rate a player is looking at his numbers individually. Most of these one-off metrics are inherently flawed and not actually percentages at all in a sports sense. They're more like scores and should probably be expressed as a decimal value.

linsivvi

Okay, so continue to dismiss the Mavs since none of the players do Taco Bell, State Farm, or Kia commercials :p

I'm sure Blake Griffins' post up game will carry the Clips to the finals. :D

edit: btw I don't disagree with any of Mamba's second points, only his initial assessment.

Dismissing Monta Ellis is not the same as dismissing the Mavericks.

And Griffin is one of the most hated players in this thread so maybe you should understand the dynamics in this thread more before you throw random accusations at us.

Dismissing Monta Ellis is not the same as dismissing the Mavericks.

I was joking from that last statement, I've watched nearly every Mavs game this season. Monta is incredibly efficient inside the paint and can draw fouls. Is he anywhere near as good as Dirk?? No, but he's the only effectively reliable scorer other than him. He pulls too many forced shots but he's pulled back on that lately.

If there was a grantland shot chart or NBA shot chart of Monta this season I would post it. I can't find any but if someone can please do.

your posts are like a batch of constipated diarrhea

Don't be mad that the Trailblazers haven't been to the Finals since Clyde Drexler played in the early 90's. :p

The one main point I disagree with Mamba about is how the Mavs are 10 points better with him on the bench. I admit the Giri's alt statement was an asshole move and apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom