• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeBron said:
“I’m going to be one of the top four to ever play this game,” James said. “For sure. And if they don’t want me to have one of those top four spots, they better find another spot. We’ve got to bump somebody. Somebody got to get bumped. That’s not for me to decide. That’s for the architects, to chisel somebody’s face out and put mine up there.”

yo damn

dalVlatko

Anthony Bennett PER for the past 5 games is 18.1

ROTY here we come

also someone on RCF made these

YWcJpr7.png
c9QYwNQ.png
Sjn7qwc.png

Yay or nay?

I like them

Anthony Bennett PER for the past 5 games is 18.1

ROTY here we come

also someone on RCF made these

Yay or nay?

I like them
Not better than their current jerseys. Cavs have some of the best retros. The Raptors are a team that comes to mind when I think of needing better jerseys.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
EASTERN CONFERENCE

> Arron Afflalo, Orlando
> Bradley Beal, Washington
> Kyrie Irving, Cleveland
> Joe Johnson, Brooklyn

WESTERN CONFERENCE

> Marco Belinelli, San Antonio
> Stephen Curry, Golden State
> Damian Lillard, Portland
> Kevin Love, Minnesota

How Klay isn't in there IDK

They'd rather include players that are going to be there already for the ASG. It's why Lillard is in over Matthews.

KingGondo

Banned
Yay or nay?

I like them
I like them, but the current Cavs unis are already among the best in the league.

Too bad the team is so shitty.

On a related note, I really hope OKC gets a uni refresh in the next couple years. The home unis are OK (if a little bland), and the road unis are nice except for the chest text. But the alternates are ass.

I've always liked the idea of a bison motif, or thunderclouds, or some kind of thematic element that adds some pop.

I really liked this redesign that got posted on Uni Watch:

jjasper

OKCs alternates looks like something a cheap 12 and under rec league team would wear when they didn't fundraise enough for a real uniform.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lebron is one of the least likable superstars there is. He's actually done a good job of shedding that whole image he had "you're privileged to watch me" and "I don't foul out", and then he says something like this.

KingGondo

Banned
OKCs alternates looks like something a cheap 12 and under rec league team would wear when they didn't fundraise enough for a real uniform.
I actually don't have an issue with the *idea* of our alternates. A classy navy and white color scheme with piping along all the edges and the waistband should look good.

The execution is just... off. The vertical "THUNDER" along the right looks different on every player (and bad on most), they don't pop or make a statement... they're just boring. They look like they were designed and approved by white men over 50. And they almost certainly were.

I actually don't have an issue with the *idea* of our alternates. A classy navy and white color scheme with piping along all the edges and the waistband should look good.

The execution is just... off. The vertical "THUNDER" along the right looks different on every player (and bad on most), they don't pop or make a statement... they're just boring.They look like they were designed and approved by white men over 50.And they almost certainly were.

Are there even people of color in JokeKC? :3

Lebron is one of the least likable superstars there is. He's actually done a good job of shedding that whole image he had "you're privileged to watch me" and "I don't foul out", and then he says something like this.

Ehh, it's true though. Even if you count Russell and Kareem (who had their primes in miserable eras), it's hard to see guys other than them and Jordan who had a better career than LeBron. He already has as many Finals MVPs, more win shares, and more MVPs than Bird who is always rated as a top 6 guy. Besides, everyone thinks they're the best player in the league and ever.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
He should've gone full heel from the start

Ehh, it's true though. Even if you count Russell and Kareem (who had their primes in miserable eras), it's hard to see guys other than them and Jordan who had a better career than LeBron. He already has as many Finals MVPs, more win shares, and more MVPs than Bird who is always rated as a top 6 guy. Besides, everyone thinks they're the best player in the league and ever.

It's really upsetting the way guys sleep on Wilt for being unbelievably better than his competition during the Civil Rights era where someone was probably planning to catch a body almost everywhere he went.

Due to the tumultuous state of race relations during Wilt’s first years in the League, he was completely removed from his teammates—most of whom were White. “The truth of the matter was Wilt’s teammates barely knew him,” says Pomerantz. “They were disquieted by his presence, some of them in terms of racial prejudice and others because, I think, of ego. It was as if when Wilt was in the locker room, they weren’t. When Wilt was on the floor, they weren’t It was a hard pill for them to swallow.”

Despite his stature and influence, he surprisingly did not embrace a leadership role in the Civil Rights movement. “He said in 1960, ‘I’m no Jackie Robinson. Some people are meant to be that way and others aren’t,’” reports Pomerantz. Wilt’s decision to stay far removed from the Civil Rights Movement was heavily scrutinized by both players and leading activists. But, Chamberlain remained true to himself and instead let his play on the court do the talking.

Wilt may have taken a backseat when it came to Civil Rights issues off the court, but on the hardwood, he was breaking barriers and evolving the game into its current landscape. “When Wilt entered the League in ’59, it was still largely a White man’s enclave,” explains Pomerantz.

I mean I understand advanced stats and etc, but seriously, have more than two rings before talking about him being better than Wilt and Bill. LeBron is lucky to have two right now with that Spurs choke.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

That's my point... he's not likable. Just because something's true doesn't mean you have to say it. Something like this will hold his legacy back, the more likable you are the more marketable you are.

Talon

That's my point... he's not likable. Just because something's true doesn't mean you have to say it. Something like this will hold his legacy back, the more likable you are the more marketable you are.
Kobe was never likeable either, but he's (probably) going to be ahead of the people's champ Shaq in the historical record.

Who the fuck cares, Skip Bayless? It's basketball, not Donald Trump's creepy beauty pageant.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kobe was never likeable either, but he's (probably) going to be ahead of the people's champ Shaq in the historical record.

Who the fuck cares, Skip Bayless? It's basketball, not Donald Trump's creepy beauty pageant.

Lol if you think that doesn't matter to the public.

Talon

You probably got your panties in a tizzy over Sherman's rant, too.

Lebron isn't running to be my son-in-law. If he wants to be arrogant, let him be as long as he can put his money where his mouth is.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You probably got your panties in a tizzy over Sherman's rant, too.

Lebron isn't running to be my son-in-law. If he wants to be arrogant, let him be as long as he can put his money where his mouth is.

Did I ever say me personally? Way to miss the point. The guy has pissed people off multiple times. He has #lebroning, he had the "you go back to your (worthless implied) lives", "the heat is losin (dwade)", etc. He made himself a villain and look foolish. Something like this just reminds people who he is/was, when he's clearly trying to shed that.

To the 2nd point I thought the Sherman thing was hilarious, but they are 2 completely different things. What Sherman did is worse in that it brings a lot of unnecessary noise to your team. Not that I cared though, Crabtree is a little bitch.

Talon

Did I ever say me personally? Way to miss the point. The guy has pissed people off multiple times. He has #lebroning, he had the "you go back to your (worthless implied) lives", "the heat is losin (dwade)", etc. He made himself a villain and look foolish. Something like this just reminds people who he is/was, when he's clearly trying to shed that.

To the 2nd point I thought the Sherman thing was hilarious, but they are 2 completely different things. What Sherman did is worse in that it brings a lot of unnecessary noise to your team. Not that I cared though, Crabtree is a little bitch.
He has a long way to go until he reaches Starks/Oakley villain levels.

I do appreciate the #lebroning, though. Come on, Silver. Have some balls and fine him for once.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He has a long way to go until he reaches Starks/Oakley villain levels.

I do appreciate the #lebroning, though. Come on, Silver. Have some balls and fine him for once.

Doesn't matter, everyone loved Shaq, everyone loved Jordan. There's a reason people still route against Lebron, and that's all my point is. He's an idiot. Like I said he did a good job of being humble and quiet, and the commercials, and the interviews such as the one with Robin Roberts, etc, but everytime he takes a few steps forward he takes 10 back.

What should he do?

meh, dude was asked where he thinks he'll rank after his career is over and gave an actual instead of just saying "that's for you guys to decide"

it's really nothing. idk.

the other stuff, is pretty petty besides the flopping which is funny more than anything or maybe watching the heat play every night has got me not caring about flopping.

Talon

Doesn't matter, everyone loved Shaq, everyone loved Jordan. There's a reason people still route against Lebron, and that's all my point is. He's an idiot. Like I said he did a good job of being humble and quiet, and the commercials, and the interviews such as the one with Robin Roberts, etc, but everytime he takes a few steps forward he takes 10 back.

What should he do?
Bro, Jordan was a huge dick, too. It's not like he was a company man that always acted humble. Shaq went around proclaiming to be the best in the world for years.

Anyways, like Psych said, he was answering a question. It's not like he just burst out of the locker room and started pissing on a Larry Bird poster. Although that would be pretty fucking amazing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
meh, dude was asked where he thinks he'll rank after his career is over and gave an actual instead of just saying "that's for you guys to decide"

it's really nothing. idk.

the other stuff, is pretty petty besides the flopping which is funny more than anything or maybe watching the heat play every night has got me not caring about flopping.

Bro, Jordan was a huge dick, too. It's not like he was a company man that always acted humble. Shaq went around proclaiming to be the best in the world for years.

Anyways, like Psych said, he was answering a question. It's not like he just burst out of the locker room and started pissing on a Larry Bird poster. Although that would be pretty fucking amazing.

There's a different way of handling it. Shaq handled it more in a way that it almost seemed like comedy. Something about Lebron is just so douchey. I get where you guys are coming from, but the public has not liked it in the past, his image has improved not just because he got a ring, but because he embraced his family friendly image.

edit- and again I don't care, the guy is a beast, I'd take few over him to build a franchise. I'm strictly talking public image here.

What should he do?

So do you dislike Barkley for his brutal honesty and some of the arrogance he's displayed?

You just used Shaq and Jordan as examples in this situation...when they are two of the biggest egos in the history of the game

You're just picking whatever you want to like and dislike and that's fine but at least be consistent with your feelings before you start rattling off examples

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So do you dislike Barkley for his brutal honesty and some of the arrogance he's displayed?

You just used Shaq and Jordan as examples in this situation...when they are two of the biggest egos in the history of the game

You're just picking whatever you want to like and dislike and that's fine but at least be consistent with your feelings before you start rattling off examples

Damn does anybody even know how to read?

edit- to clarify again for the 10th time I don't give a shit what he says or does (minus his whining, which was insuferable during his cavs days). What I am talking about is purely perception. Shaq had multiple movies, and great commercials, and shoe deals, and tv shows like hosting nickelodeon. Jordan had space jam, and his shoe line, and Space Jam. They did everything they could to perfect their image as a likable family friendly good guy, and for the most part it was able to mask the other stuff they did (jordan gambling, partying, ego, etc.) Lebron has done so many stunts in the publics eye and has to publicly apologize and rebuild his entire image since that's not what he's going for (look at the whole what should I do ad). If you don't believe this was his goal/intention then you simply don't understand PR. Comments like this are not what the people want to hear. They don't want to see Ray Allen flip Reggie Miller off and say, your record is buried BITCH, they want to see them embrace and respect eachother, get it?

Talon

The way I see it, there are about three "levels" of public perception.

There's the largest audience which is the general audience - the people that only see Lebron in commercials, maybe a playoff game or two - people that don't really follow basketball. All they know about Lebron is that a) he's really good at basketball and b) he seems to have fun with his friends in barbershops based on commercials.

There's the middle audience which is the casual basketball fan that watches basketball but doesn't follow the analysis, watch press conferences, etc. Most of their exposure is from a couple games a month and Sportscenter. Their perception of Lebron is that a) he's really fucking good at basketball and b) he sure pounds his chest a lot and c) the flopping thing is sort of funny. Again, they don't see this sort of shit.

Then there's the hardcore basketball nerds like (most of) us that give every athlete shit for every little bit. Again, we all respect Lebron because he's really fucking great at basketball, historically even, but there are bits about his game that some of us hate, some of us love, and we talk about it. Two years ago, it was his refusal to post up. That's sort of gone by the wayside by now, and now it seems we've moved onto perceptions of his character, his arrogance, his flopping, etc. And that's all fine and good - the flopping in particular is totally deserved.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The way I see it, there are about three "levels" of public perception.

There's the largest audience which is the general audience - the people that only see Lebron in commercials, maybe a playoff game or two - people that don't really follow basketball. All they know about Lebron is that a) he's really good at basketball and b) he seems to have fun with his friends in barbershops based on commercials.

There's the middle audience which is the casual basketball fan that watches basketball but doesn't follow the analysis, watch press conferences, etc. Most of their exposure is from a couple games a month and Sportscenter. Their perception of Lebron is that a) he's really fucking good at basketball and b) he sure pounds his chest a lot and c) the flopping thing is sort of funny. Again, they don't see this sort of shit.

Then there's the hardcore basketball nerds like (most of) us that give every athlete shit for every little bit. Again, we all respect Lebron because he's really fucking great at basketball, historically even, but there are bits about his game that some of us hate, some of us love, and we talk about it. Two years ago, it was his refusal to post up. That's sort of gone by the wayside by now, and now it seems we've moved onto perceptions of his character, his arrogance, his flopping, etc. And that's all fine and good - the flopping in particular is totally deserved.

Agree to disagree on this part. This will trend on twitter, people will ask why. First thing that pops up when you type his name in is the quote.

edit- I don't think this will do significant damage to his image either, it's just another one you can chalk up against his ability to sell his image to the public.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
midrangegraph1152.jpg

Aldridge’s activity from the midrange is anomalous. He has attempted 100 more midrange shots than the Houston Rockets have as a team. The Rockets have a reputation as the most analytically attuned team in the league, and their offense is predicated, in part, on the idea that midrange shots are bad shots. The new quant-based dogma around the league is that corner 3s and attacking the rim are the smartest ways to score. But those kinds of opportunities don’t just happen, and contemporary defenses are motivated more than ever to prevent them.

lamarcusaldridgenew1152.jpg

Stotts takes it one step further, suggesting that dismissing midrange shots is a fatal strategy. “It’s not easy getting to the basket, and it’s not easy getting open shots in this league,” he says. “Half of the guys in the league, I would not want to leave open at 15 feet. An open midrange shot is a quality shot in this league. Teams basically make twice as many shots if they’re uncontested. If they’re contested, they make 30 percent; if they’re uncontested, they make 60 percent.”

It’s hard to argue with the results. The Blazers are a more efficient scoring offense than Houston, despite leading the league in midrange field goal attempts. Portland is one of the best offenses in the game, despite going against those newfangled scoring strategies.

http://grantland.com/features/portland-trail-blazers-success-damian-lillard-lamarcus-aldridge/

Wowza.

The idea that mid-range shots are bad shots is a fallacy. The issue is that long two's that are a foot or two in front of the three point line are bad shots. The problem is with the speed on the perimeter defensively now it's easier to create threes than it is mid-range twos.

I think I read somehwere that Durant is a ridiculous like 46% off the dribble for jumpers.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Bulls and Suns may be talking Boozer for Okafor's expiring. That would be financially amazing. Soul where are you?

The idea that mid-range shots are bad shots is a fallacy. The issue is that long two's that are a foot or two in front of the three point line are bad shots. The problem is with the speed on the perimeter defensively now it's easier to create threes than it is mid-range twos.

I think I read somehwere that Durant is a ridiculous like 46% off the dribble for jumpers.

I don't think it's a fallacy. The math doesn't lie. a 33% 3pt shot is the equivalent of a 50% 2pt shot, a proposition that a midrange jump shot decidedly isn't, but that's more or less the symptom of the 22-foot pull up jump shot being the result of a disrupted possession. The point of offensive possessions is to manufacture high expected point totals, and a play that is designed to result in a semi-contested Dirk pull up is still a better proposition than Shane Larkin launching a 3.

Omega

Banned
I hope Portland wins the championship. This era of basketball needs to end where people think it's either layups/dunks or 3 pointers. There is a middle ground and it's refreshing to see someone realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom