• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

Mamba, you forgot that someone is replacing Kobe's broken down $50 million ass.

This could be the one "star" who takes the qualifying offer.

Actually, it's $80 million. Gotta include this year. But you're right, so Dragic and Conley get in for me. The extra spot could go to Dwight or Parker, I suppose.

Fun Fact #2: Out of the players who have played in at least half of their teams games this season, only 3 of the top 25 leaders in touches per game are NOT point guards. Kevin Love (8th), Blake Griffin (17th) and
Josh McRoberts (23rd).
Yes.
Josh McRoberts
gets more touches per game than LeBron, Durant, George, Melo and Harden (and mostly every other non PG in the league.

Dy.

Explain.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Fun Fact #2: Out of the players who have played in at least half of their teams games this season, only 3 of the top 25 leaders in touches per game are NOT point guards. Kevin Love (8th), Blake Griffin (17th) and
Josh McRoberts (23rd).
Yes.
Josh McRoberts
gets more touches per game than LeBron, Durant, George, Melo and Harden (and mostly every other non PG in the league.

Dy.

Explain.

Mcroberts is their best passer. Offense frequently goes through him at the elbow.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Josh McRoberts (23rd).
Yes.
Josh McRoberts

Dy.

Explain.
I'm not surprised. Every time I'm watching Bobcats games, the dude always have the ball in his hands a good portion of the possessions.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly biggest thing from fords chat is possibility of bosh leaving. No bosh = no safety outlet on offense, and no crazy trapping pick and roll defense. Aka no more rings unless they randomly steal the brow or ibaka.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Dirk Nowitzki is the 6th player in NBA history to score 26K points with one franchise. He joins Malone, Bryant, Jordan, Olajuwon, Havlicek.

who?

Last night, Kyle Lowry had 33 points, 11 boards, 7 assists. Lowry and Kevin Durant are only players with multiple 30-10-5 games this season.

#contractyear

linsivvi

Part of me thinks I'm being harsh on him when that whole Knicks situation is Dolan and Bargnani's fault. But then I remember Carmlose-o's a scorer who's ranked 83rd in the league in ORtg and I'm like whatever. Keep jackin', broheem.

Dude, you're not really using individual ORtg to judge a player, are you?

Especially when he's 83rd in this ranking:

i6tEq0H.jpg

Mamba, you forgot that someone is replacing Kobe's broken down $50 million ass.

This could be the one "star" who takes the qualifying offer.

If he thinks he'll be miserable then he might as well take it

He was a one and done player who's got a ton of endorsements already.

There are guys who have lost a lot more money than he would just by staying in college for four seasons.

And the Cavs really are in awful shape. They'll probably overpay Deng this summer, offer Kyrie a max and then overpay Tristan the summer after--there's really very few ways for them to get better right now.

Before cavs age slits their wrists I actually do think it'd be a great place for LBJ so long as Gilbert agrees to move Grant. Luring him would be tough but LBJ could easily win a chip there.

You won nothing. Go back to my arguments, I said that Utah could end up with a better record because the Lakers intentionally won't play their best players.

Well guess what, they're intentionally not playing Kobe, Farmar, Blake, Henry, and on occasion Pau. :p Kendall Marshall is starting ffs!.

Farmar and Henry are both below replacement level going by WS/48 and Kobe is coming off a career ending injury. Not sure one injury to a relevant player (Blake) means much when Marshall is exceeding his production as well.

You argued that the Jazz were certainly the worst team in the league as well (or at least, other than maybe Philly and Phoenix) while I thought they would be the 7th/8th worst.

edit: Most of the guys on that ORtg list that make it look dumb are guys who have played like 20 minutes and taken a couple of shots. ORtg is sometimes a better measurement for efficiency because there are a few players who have high TS%s but aren't efficient because they're turnover machines.

thekad

Banned
Dirk Nowitzki is the 6th player in NBA history to score 26K points with one franchise. He joins Malone, Bryant, Jordan, Olajuwon, Havlicek.

who?

Last night, Kyle Lowry had 33 points, 11 boards, 7 assists. Lowry and Kevin Durant are only players with multiple 30-10-5 games this season.

#contractyear
ESPN said we can get Lowry back for Lin's ugly contract and a couple second round picks lol

LuchaShaq

Banned
If he thinks he'll be miserable then he might as well take it

He was a one and done player who's got a ton of endorsements already.

There are guys who have lost a lot more money than he would just by staying in college for four seasons.

And the Cavs really are in awful shape. They'll probably overpay Deng this summer, offer Kyrie a max and then overpay Tristan the summer after--there's really very few ways for them to get better right now.

Before cavs age slits their wrists I actually do think it'd be a great place for LBJ so long as Gilbert agrees to move Grant. Luring him would be tough but LBJ could easily win a chip there.

Until clown gilbert sells the team the cave will be a joke just like the Knicks will be till Dolan sells.

Top down leadership

#contractyear

#shouldbeallstaryear

Dude, you're not really using individual ORtg to judge a player, are you?

Especially when he's 83rd in this ranking:

i6tEq0H.jpg

Why not? It's a good measure of how much a player produces, including FTs, without usg.

Even if you filter out the scrubs, he's nowhere to be found:

hLZynUg.png

Until clown gilbert sells the team the cave will be a joke just like the Knicks will be till Dolan sells.

Top down leadership

If you can create a big three, GM work basically goes out the window--you basically just need a numbers guy at that point.

If LeBron can bring a guy like Bosh or Melo to pair with Kyrie, the roleplayers will be climbing over bodies to get to Cleveland, just like what happened in Miami and Boston.

It's all about what LeBron wants of course. I think the Cavs are a great option if he wants to leave for a number of reasons, but I only think he leaves if Wade is close to done, which I think might be possible. I don't think it has anything to do with if the Heat chip or not this year.

Going off the "how much does a rookie season matter" thing from yesterday, vjl did a statistical breakdown of it:

http://www.canishoopus.com/2014/1/30/5361738/lottery-picks-early-returns

1jZeBG6_medium.png

6moKveR_medium.png

Older players that aren't pretty good right away have a very slim chance of stardom (though there some extreme outliers like Malone). Young players that produce at all to start their career generally don't bust (as in, being bad, not in underperforming expectations). Bust is defined as not reaching 2.5 WS in a season during their prime, Star as 10+ WS in prime.

KingGondo

Banned
tracking.si.com/2014/01/30/nets-will-target-kevin-durant-in-2016/

c1H0Z8N.gif
Haha, love that gif.

EDIT:

@KendrickPerkins said:
What's good my peeps? Great team win. Whatever it takes. Sacrificing is what good teams do. When my name is called I'll be ready. 9 in a row
No shit, you get paid close to $9 million/year. It's utterly ridiculous if you had complained after last night.

linsivvi

Why not? It's a good measure of how much a player produces, including FTs, without usg.

Even if you filter out the scrubs, he's nowhere to be found:

Because if your teammates suck, your Ortg will be low no matter what.

It's also influenced by the style your team plays. Even your edited list is laughable since there's no player in the league right now better at offense than Durant and Lebron.

For players, the formula is: Offensive Rating = (Points Produced / Individual Possessions) x 100

Points can be produced through field goals, free throws, assists, and offensive rebounds. Individual possessions are the sum of a player's scoring possessions (field goals, free throws, plus partial credit for assists), missed field goals and free throws that the defense rebounds, and turnovers.

Individual ORtg is not team on-court ORtg (which will certainly be influenced by teammates) and is different from individual DRtg (which is 80% team defensive rating and individual defensive statistics-both of which are really rough for judging defense). It's just an efficiency stat (that Melo rates more highly in than TS% because he gets offensive rebounds and doesn't turn the ball over).

linsivvi

Individual ORtg is not team on-court ORtg (which will certainly be influenced by teammates) and is different from individual DRtg (which is 80% team defensive rating and individual defensive statistics-both of which are really rough for judging defense). It's just an efficiency stat (that Melo rates more highly in than TS% because he gets offensive rebounds and doesn't turn the ball over).

Umm yeah you're right. Damn you and your stats!

KingGondo

Banned
Perk has more turnovers than FG's. That's is rather impressive and difficult to do.
Perk does all kinds of amazing things on the court!

BTW, I've come to terms with the fact that he'll probably retire in a Thunder jersey. We'll probably keep him on the roster as a backup to Adams when his contract expires after next year. Honestly, I'm fine with that as long as he's truly the backup and we only pay him $2-3 million/year.

giri

Speaking of the Suns, I was told the Los Angeles Lakers might go hard after Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is out the rest of the season with a knee injury. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent next summer, but I'm told the Lakers might be willing to overpay him to pry him away from Phoenix.

LoL.

giri

Well he'd be great for D'Antoni's system, but do they really want to go after a player to fit a coach that likely won't be there another 2 years?

Rumours are they're ready to fire d'antoni after the season.

But he's a RFA, so it seems pointless to go after him "hard". i.e. base your off season plans around him.

Particularly with the suns having a vested interest in the lakers being bad next year.

Surely the Suns are prepared to pay him a max contract by now.

I think they'll pay him the max if they have too, but they're not overly convinced he deserves it and would much rather sign him for around the 4 yr 40M mark than 4yr 55M mark.

linsivvi

Lakers rumors should be taken with a grain of salt unless it's a trade and the other team leaks. Mitch likes to keep things under wrap.

Lakers rumors should be taken with a grain of salt unless it's a trade and the other team leaks. Mitch likes to keep things under wrap.

It could be the Suns that are leaking it, but it would be weird to do so since it might drive up Bledsoe's price. Maybe they are looking to test the trade market but want to see what else is out there.

linsivvi

It could be the Suns that are leaking it, but it would be weird to do so since it might drive up Bledsoe's price. Maybe they are looking to test the trade market but want to see what else is out there.

Uh, why would the Suns know about it? It's not a trade and Mitch isn't allowed to talk to Bledsoe either.

thekad

Banned
Will the Celtics be able to give Melo the max this summer? Say they trade Bass to the Blazers for expirings or easily dumped young players and use the stretch provision on Crashed, aren't they a better fit for Melo than the Lakers. They can use Green and picks to grab Sanders and redo the summer of 2007 but majorly downgraded with Rondo, Melo and Sanders as the big 3 and Bradley and Sullinger doppleganging young Rondo and Perkins.

And they'll still have an actual franchise player coming in with their own first round pick.

giri

I don't think it's coming from the suns. They were ready to ship dragic to keep bledsoe.

Unless the knee injury is worse than is let on.

If the Suns want him why haven't they extended him?

There are two other guys potentially on the market that are similar players in Lowry and Isaiah and Bledsoe is coming off knee surgery. If they wanted to get him on a good contract, the time is now.

giri

If the Suns want him why haven't they extended him?

There are two other guys potentially on the market that are similar players in Lowry and Isaiah and Bledsoe is coming off knee surgery. If they wanted to get him on a good contract, the time is now.

The suns offered around what i said from rumours. Which at the time, was more than reasonable as he'd never been more than a back up. But he declined and gambled that he'd go injury free and put up All Star Numbers.

Which is why they became more hesitant to trade Dragic, coverage for Bledsoe.

Well, he did have the meniscus removed.

Yeah. There's lots of that going around. There could be a bunch of these hyper athletic guards missing a lot of time over the next few years with big $ going no where.

YNB is the other one that comes to mind. Rose...

Top Bottom