• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

LuchaShaq

Banned
Melo & CP3 wouldn't work

Name me a combo that doesn't include Lebron or Durant that doesn't include a bunch of great role players that can win a title.

Melo and CP3 surrounded by Reddick/Dumbandre/Dudley? Noooo

Melo and Cp3 surrounded by Hibbert/Parsons/Afflalo? Sure!

With the Clippers essentially forfeiting their division title and OKC deteriorating precipitously in the absence of Westbrook, is it time to start considering the Warriors' championship prospects? They'll finish at worst with the fourth seed, and I'm don't really think there's a bad match-up for them out west.

If Westbrook/Durant are healthy in the playoffs I'll take them over anyone in the west even on the road.

Bishman

I was curious to see that Portland now is averaging 109PPG and was wondering when the last time a team averaged that many.

Turns out, the 2009-10 Suns at 110PPG. Which, took me down into a rabbit hole of statistical analysis:

Basic
VAWxBb1.png

j6H9SOK.png

Advanced
mxqGapk.png

D9ndemC.png

Portland
6VWTtn1.png

Phoenix
eaXoWEf.png

Lots of similarities with an emphasis on taking a lot of threes, although Portland takes a significant amount more.

Portland is actually more statistically similar to the 2001 Seattle Supersonics.

Basic:
VAWxBb1.png

hcXJPgk.png

Advanced:
mxqGapk.png

OugPCuE.png

Four Factors:
qPfqCp6.png

iBgRN8F.png

giri

that rumor has been floating for a month now

I doubt it happens. Everybody loves Blake and he hasn't hit his prime yet.

Melo is damaged goods.

Well, thats not so true any more.

There are quite a few people in the media making not so lovely comments about Blake. Questioning whether what you're seeing now IS the final iteration.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, thats not so true any more.

There are quite a few people in the media making not so lovely comments about Blake. Questioning whether what you're seeing now IS the final iteration.

Except this form of Blake Griffin is still miles better than Melo.

Melo for Blake is some dumb shit NY media folks make up just to make Dolan look even worse than he already does. Because its never happening.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Except this form of Blake Griffin is still miles better than Melo.

Melo for Blake is some dumb shit NY media folks make up just to make Dolan look even worse than he already does. Because its never happening.

You make it sound like the Clippers haven't been one of the worst franchises in the league for decades...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You make it sound like the Clippers haven't been one of the worst franchises in the league for decades...

Nah they definitely are. But nobody in this league is dumb enough to trade Blake for Melo straight up.

Melo is going on 30 and is going to get 5/130 for the next 5 years. The Clippers are going to trade a guy who is 5 years younger and will be making like 40 million less in that time period. I don't even know how people come up with this shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Nah they definitely are. But nobody in this league is dumb enough to trade Blake for Melo straight up.

Melo is going on 30 and is going to get 5/130 for the next 5 years. The Clippers are going to trade a guy who is 5 years younger and will be making like 40 million less in that time period. I don't even know how people come up with this shit.

I've seen dumber moves.

But Melo isn't getting another max.

When I think of what the Clippers need, it's a no defense guy that will steal possessions away from CP3 and who will always plays terribly in the playoffs.

That's the type of player they've been missing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've seen dumber moves.

There will definitely be a team giving Melo the max. Superstar names get the max even if the game doesn't match.

Lakers just gave a 35 year old Kobe Bryant 23 million per for the next 2 years. They'll pony up to get Melo. Chris Grant will probably still have a job (and Dan Gilbert is still the owner) and he'll do something crazy. The Pistons still got money to burn. Teams like the Wizards and Philly will have the cap space to do something dumb.

And the Knicks are still the Knicks.

I've seen dumber moves.

You serious? I'll eat my hat if he doesn't. NY will offer him the full max day one of FA because A) it's what they do and B) they're fucked(er) if he leaves, and any other suitors would have to offer the non-bird max just to make it worth his while to consider them.

Say what you want about the guy but he won the scoring title last year and he's .1 out of 2nd this season.

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN 03 Jan
J.R. Smith says he thought the Knicks were down 2 when he took the ill advised three. "That's bad basketball IQ on me," he said.

Tina Cervasio @TinaCervasio 03 Jan
JR said he thought #Knicks were down two & thought he had a good look to take the shot. He did see Tyson saying to stop, but too late.
852190.gif

Tom Penny

Griffin is a far more skilled player than Melo. Wouldn't do it. On top of that the Clips already have a player that just scores and does nothing else in Crawford.

Fox318

Saw that on RealGM...smh.

There has to be at least 7-10 people who are in on this segment and setting it up. You'd think at least one of them would go "umm they don't have their pick guys"

Maybe the knicks have a super secret pick that nobody knows about

Wiggins still has the most upside but his inability to give a shit about basketball has been going on for far too long now and is super worrisome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wiggins still has the most upside but his inability to give a shit about basketball has been going on for far too long now and is super worrisome.

Yeah. I don't see how Parker doesn't end up being the #1.

I just hope the Magic end up with 2 top 5 picks this year. I'm not too greedy!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not quite as much on that Suns team (though still a bit), but look at the minutes distribution for the season on the 2005 team.

And look at the current Blazers.

Five great starters and one decent bench guy, geez.

LuchaShaq

Banned

His inability to give a shit?

Wiggins and embiid are the only guys in the conversation for #1 pick who play defense.

Since when is giving a shit measured by jacking shots to pad college stats instead of being a top 5 wing defender in all of college ball?

Parker is going to be the guy who puts up 25 while random scrubs get 20 on him.

Edit: I know Marcus Smart plays D but I don't really consider him in the running for #1, I'm talking Wiggins/Embiid/Parker/Randle/Exum.

Clevinger

@BillSimmons
I love the way Blake Griffin is playing lately. Wouldn't trade him for Melo. The Melo trade partner that makes the most sense - Phoenix.

thankfully his dumb trade ideas are usually always wrong

thekad

Banned
The Clips haven't made a dumb move in a while. I don't think they start now by trading a younger and better talent for Melo.

Exokell

Banned
Jabari is the only one who will be a starter right away and will have a huge impact on a team... All others are just projects and yeah the upside wmight be bigger.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
RT @BrightSideSun: Eric Bledsoe will miss at least a week with a sprained right knee. #Suns

Well nevermind when I said that the Clippers miss Bledsoe.

There's sometimes guys like Paul George or Vince Carter that have few offensive skills at 19 and become great scorers, but for every guy like them, there seems to be four or five guys that end up like Rudy Gay, Marvin Williams, and Harrison Barnes. Wiggins is a great defensive prospect, but I don't know if his ceiling is that high offensively.

Top Bottom