• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

thekad

Banned
They could be a better fit almost right away. Anyway, Love/Dwight is the dominant frontcourt of the future.

Bev/Harden/Parsons/Love/Dwight 2015

GJnbfrT.gif

YYWuUtM.gif

curious if james young might get picked above randle, i think gms and scouts have picked up on randle pretty much feasting on smaller people

Mik317

curious if james young might get picked above randle since he actually has a position and is pretty good, i think gms and scouts have also picked up on randle pretty much feasting on smaller people

I doubt it. '

There is always one guy who think "this tweener is the one to break the trend yo".

But yeah of all of the hyped freshmen, Randle has been the one who has never impressed me and this is with Wiggins constantly being scared of the ball.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
RT @kpelton: Wolves now 5.8 wins below expected record based on point differential, on pace for 13.6. Largest in modern history is 9.7.

KingGondo

Banned
Why wouldn't they? Do you think we have a cheap ass billionaire owner like Bennett who will just give away his best players to save a few dollars?
We seem to be doing just fine without him.

Show me exactly how Harden, Dwight, Love and Parsons (who will command close to $10 million per, if not more) will fit without incurring a massive luxury tax hit?

thekad

Banned
Show me exactly how the luxury tax is an indicator on whether the Rockets owner will pursue a superstar in Kevin Love or give away a great player like Chandler Parsons.

Smokey

Show me exactly how Harden, Dwight, Love and Parsons (who will command close to $10 million per, if not more) will fit without incurring a massive luxury tax hit?

Leslie doesn't mind going into the luxury tax if it makes sense.

With the Toronto Raptors playing excellent basketball, they have pulled Kyle Lowry from trade conversations.

The Raptors' management is confident that they have a chance of signing Lowry long-term in the offseason.

The Raptors could readdress the situation if they fall in the standings before the deadline, but the front office remains confident.

“But that won’t happen,” said the source said confidently. “We’re winning this.”

Masai pls

Raps saying fuck a tank

4 years 52 for Lowry confirmed

curious if james young might get picked above randle, i think gms and scouts have picked up on randle pretty much feasting on smaller people

He should but he won't.

I'm close to calling meh on this draft. I think Embiid is a tier below the best big man prospects of the last half a decade. If Embiid and Wiggins were as good as the hype they wouldn't have 4 losses on the season already.

Jabari goes first without a second thought.

Wiggins would be in serious jeopardy of becoming Barnes 2.0 if it weren't for higher upside due to being a better ball handler.

Smarts shooting has let me down. I don't think his free throw rate translates to the NBA without the ability to get guards to play him tighter and he's not an elite passer.

I think a lot of teams will be underwhelmed with who they get.

KingGondo

Banned
Show me exactly how the luxury tax is an indicator on whether the Rockets owner will pursue a superstar in Kevin Love or give away a great player like Chandler Parsons.
Because no owner besides Prokhorov has shown that they don't care about the new luxury tax. And even he might after the debacle that this season has been for Brooklyn.

To be clear--we're discussing a scenario in which the Rox try to keep Parsons and add Love on top of that, not one or the other.

3 max players with another guy making $10 million plus? You really don't see why an owner would be hesitant to commit at least $65 million to four guys in 2015/16 (and going up from there)?

Smokey said:
Leslie doesn't mind going into the luxury tax if it makes sense.
And what's your evidence for that? As they say, talk is cheap.

They're not over the tax this year, and they probably won't be next year either.

This new CBA has changed the game for everyone except the Lakers and the two NY teams.

This is all moot anyways. Love isn't going to Houston.

thekad

Banned
Because no owner besides Prokhorov has shown that they don't care about the new luxury tax. And even he might after the debacle that this season has been for Brooklyn.

To be clear--we're discussing a scenario in which the Rox try to keep Parsons and add Love on top of that, not one or the other.

3 max players with another guy making $10 million plus? You really don't see why an owner would be hesitant to commit at least $65 million to four guys in 2015/16 (and going up from there)?

And what's your evidence for that? As they say, talk is cheap.

They're not over the tax this year, and they probably won't be next year either.

This new CBA has changed the game for everyone except the Lakers and the two NY teams.

This is all moot anyways. Love isn't going to Houston.

You pretty much said absolutely nothing in this post. "He won't because he won't" isn't an actual argument, y'know.

I mean are you seriously trying to argue that because the Rockets aren't over the luxury tax this year (which would have been literally impossible considering they signed a $20 million dollar free agent in the summer), they never will be? I know you're just sour over Bennett and Presti handing the Rockets a star, but that's just ridiculous.

The Rockets wouldn't give two shits about keeping Parsons if it meant getting Love. In that instance all the Rockets would need would be a sixth man to keep the bench afloat.

Ehh, Embiid fouls too much (which leads to him being on the bench a lot, leading to Kansas being mediocre), but otherwise he is great and I don't see him as second-tier in other spots. Smart's steal rate and other athleticism markers are good enough to think he can keep the James Harden lite style going in the NBA as well. Wiggins might just have the ceiling of super Marvin Williams though.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Parsons isn't going anywhere. As for getting Love, that's a whole different story.

KingGondo

Banned
You pretty much said absolutely nothing in this post. "He won't because he won't" isn't an actual argument, y'know.
I made actual substantive arguments in the original post (owners are more wary of the new luxury tax than the old one (fact), there's no evidence that Leslie is willing to go over the tax (fact)) and you dismissed it with the bullshit above. Try using actual facts to argue rather than dismissing my post outright.

I know you're just sour over Bennett and Presti handing the Rockets a star, but that's just ridiculous.
You could have saved a lot of time by simply typing "u mad."

And I'm not sour about the Harden trade anymore. OKC looks good (including the players we got for Harden) and I we're among the 3 or 4 favorites for a chip if YNB comes back healthy.

The Rockets wouldn't give two shits about keeping Parsons if it meant getting Love. In that instance all the Rockets would need would be a sixth man to keep the bench afloat.
This is also true.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
3rd Returns East Backcourt: D.Wade (718,109), K.Irving (652,522), D.Rose (323,099), J.Wall (278,516).

3rd Returns East Frontcourt: L.James (1,076,063), P.George (899,671), C.Anthony (702,869) Hibbert (385,964)

3rd Returns West Backcourt: K.Bryant (844,538), S.Curry (677,732), C.Paul (651,073), J.Lin (471,980).

3rd Returns West Frontcourt: K.Durant (1,054,209), D.Howard (509,116), B.Griffin (500,964), Love (483,031).

It's a good thing there is no rule about the guy who has the most votes having to be a replacement to an injured guy or Jeremy Lin would be starting in the ASG this year

I think this class is going to end up looking a lot like 2010. It's going to take a few years for most of them to start showing what they're capable of. Parker and Smart will produce immediately, but the rest of them are going to take a few years. This will prove to be a really deep class when all is said and done though. Barring injury I really like guys like Vonleh, Adams, Young, Embiid, and Wiggins to become solid starters in the league eventually. Then there are wild cards like Hairston, Exum, Saric, and Chris Walker if he declares. This is the type of draft where having multiple picks in the first will really pay off down the road.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I doubt it. '

There is always one guy who think "this tweener is the one to break the trend yo".

But yeah of all of the hyped freshmen, Randle has been the one who has never impressed me and this is with Wiggins constantly being scared of the ball.

I saw randle play the Jordan classic and dude really played well as a Pf against both Wiggins and a whoever was at center on Offense and defense. Dude was co-MVP with parker. Admittedly I havent seen him since but are ypu sure its just not the college system he's playing under fucking him up?

uh, Houston isn't getting Love because they have no way to sign him to anything near a max contract and they have nothing to trade for him and make the salaries work (no, they ain't taking Asik at $15 mil).

thekad

Banned
I made actual substantive arguments in the original post (owners are more wary of the new luxury tax than the old one (fact), there's no evidence that Leslie is willing to go over the tax (fact)) and you dismissed it with the bullshit above. Try using actual facts to argue rather than dismissing my post outright.

Owners in small markets are wary of paying the tax for role players that hardly move the dial, yeah, not for Kevin Love and not one of the most profitable teams in the league.

Smokey literally just told you Leslie says he's willing to go over the tax, so...

Every year Morey is buying picks, locking up their second round selections for extra money and stashing mediocre prospects while they play in the D League. These are the actions of a GM not constrained by a cheap owner who cares more about profit than winning.

uh, Houston isn't getting Love because they have no way to sign him to anything near a max contract and they have nothing to trade for him and make the salaries work (no, they ain't taking Asik at $15 mil).

Because of Parsons’s miniscule 2014-15 salary, his cap hold on the Rockets’ books when he hits free agency until he is signed (either by the Rockets or another team) will be a paltry $1,833,025. This figure is equal to 190% of Parsons’s 2014-15 salary, which is the method used to determine cap holds for players (other than those coming off rookie scale contracts, which Parsons is not) making below the average player salary and for whom a team holds full Bird rights.

By having such a small cap hold for Parsons, the Rockets would be able to use all of their available cap room in 2015 — except for that $1,833,025 cap hold amount — to pursue outside free agents (in a free agent class that is expected to include Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge), then later exceed the salary cap to re-sign Parsons to any amount using his Bird rights.

Mik317

I saw randle play the Jordan classic and dude really played well as a Pf against both Wiggins and a whoever was at center on Offense and defense. Dude was co-MVP with parker. Admittedly I havent seen him since but are ypu sure its just not the college system he's playing under fucking him up?

Could be but while he is a slimeball, Coach Cal has probably the most NBA ready system in college ball...as he should because of his constant one and done recruits. Randle just seems super tweenery...Beasley and Williams (and Bennett I guess) at least showed some things that could trick you into believing they could translate (Williams Jumpshot for example...)....Randle just seems like a bull in a china shop, which works in college until you begin to face bigger and stronger dudes. Adrian Payne had him locked down until he got in foul trouble and Randle was allowed to get going. There is going to be a lot of Adrian Paynes in the NBA.

Idk he just seems super tweenery to me. He gets by on just being stronger than other and that albiet awesome predictable spin move.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
NBA 2K14 on next gen isnt that bad as everyone says, i actually like the career mode and fuuuuuuu Richard Jefferson, got me in trouble :/

It's the servers. When they're down, you can't play any single player modes. I love the game, just hate the DRM. Shit was down for 4 days over Christmas.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Could be but while he is a slimeball, Coach Cal has probably the most NBA ready system in college ball...as he should because of his constant one and done recruits. Randle just seems super tweenery...Beasley and Williams (and Bennett I guess) at least showed some things that could trick you into believing they could translate (Williams Jumpshot for example...)....Randle just seems like a bull in a china shop, which works in college until you begin to face bigger and stronger dudes. Adrian Payne had him locked down until he got in foul trouble and Randle was allowed to get going. There is going to be a lot of Adrian Paynes in the NBA.

Idk he just seems super tweenery to me. He gets by on just being stronger than other and that albiet awesome predictable spin move.

Well if that's the case his draft stock should drop, after the Bennett fiasco and the Williams fiasco I can't see a team going for a tweener high in the lottery.

no fuck NBA 2k14 forever if they cannot replace my PF this game is getting sold ASAP

had an 87 overall PF who was damn near maxed out in stats and those fucking assholes made my save file disappear after I tried loading the game and it crashed.

I was fucking dominating the park even people there starting recognizing that I'm the man you want if you need boards and a rim protector

Smokey

You could have saved a lot of time by simply typing "u mad."

And I'm not sour about the Harden trade anymore. OKC looks good (including the players we got for Harden) and I we're among the 3 or 4 favorites for a chip if YNB comes back healthy.

This is also true.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/06/rockets-owner-ready-to-ante-up-for-big-playoff-run/

“I have enough money, but I don’t have enough championships,” Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. “If you’re not in it to win championships, you shouldn’t be in it.”Alexander said he could not comment about any detail of the Rockets’ free-agency plans, including the planned presentation to players. But he said he hopes to have the sort of team to dramatically increase the team’s payroll, including paying a luxury tax.Alexander said that watching the NBA Finals offered a reminder of how badly he wants to return his team to contender’s status

I'd say if an opportunity presented itself to get Kevin love, Alexander would be all in.

And sounds like a great owner to me. Could you imagine if he was your owner Gondo

Randle also got shut down against James McAdoo, which is not a good sign at all because he'll be going up against guys that are longer and better almost every game. He's a beast rebounder though, so if he's not an idiot he'll at least be able to carve out a solid niche for himself somewhere.

He probably isn't even worth a 1st

When you look back at failed tweeners like D-Will, Beas, and (probably) Bennett, you almost alway see better players that were second round or super late first rounders

2011? Parsons, Singler.

2008? Pek, Deandre, Asik

I actually have Randle rated below all of those tweeners I listed above because all of those guys showed potential to develop an NBA jumpshot. Randle isn't even shooting the three right now in college.

To be fair D-Will didn't really shoot him his freshmen year though. I think he'll be a better rebounding version of Derrick Williams in the NBA which still isn't that valuable to be honest.

... D-Will ;_;

KingGondo

Banned
I'd say if an opportunity presented itself to get Kevin love, Alexander would be all in.

And sounds like a great owner to me. Could you imagine if he was your owner Gondo
As I said--talk is cheap.

If he pulls the trigger then I'll give you credit, but billionaires didn't get that way by throwing their money around with high levels of uncertainty and risk.

thekad

Banned
To be fair that article was written before he took on Howards contract. Howard was the FA being spoken about.
That was the presentation given to Dwight, in which they specifically pointed out their chance to add another max player to the core of Harden, Parsons, and Dwight if he signed.

Top Bottom