• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
By3um9IIUAADWNc.png:orig

hideos

rambis

Banned
That contract was so dumb

I just don't understand who this benefits. The Lakers are basically in limbo until Kobe is gone. Kobe himself...is it really that big of a deal to retire a Laker?
Kobe is probably worth more to the lakers than what he's getting paid. Even if he can't really contend, he's their last shred of relevancy.

That contract was so dumb

I just don't understand who this benefits. The Lakers are basically in limbo until Kobe is gone. Kobe himself...is it really that big of a deal to retire a Laker?

It was a dumb contract but I think the front office saw the landscape of potential free agents and saw that they'd have nothing to do with cap space in the next 2 years anyway. These next 2 seasons are basically going to be a glorified farewell tour for Bean.

Pimpwerx

Just heard the John Wall and Kobe comments. Goddamn. They bodied them good. Kobe can't be saying that about his teammate though. LOL. PEACE.

JoeFu

Banned
That skyline ain't got nothing on NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD ( LOOOOOOL) Dallas skyline that we're getting on alt jerseys!

Obviously way too early to judge anyone or anything but cool to see Bulls players and even Thibs praising Mirotic.

When it's all said and done, I personally feel he'll be the best addition the Bulls have made even though minutes will be tough to come by at that position.

Fjordson

So hyped for basketball to return. Warriors pre-season starting next Tuesday!

Obviously way too early to judge anyone or anything but cool to see Bulls players and even Thibs praising Mirotic.

When it's all said and done, I personally feel he'll be the best addition the Bulls have made even though minutes will be tough to come by at that position.
Yeah, Mirotic looks nice from what I've seen. Another good piece for Chicago.

So hyped for basketball to return. Warriors pre-season starting next Friday!

Yeah, Mirotic looks nice from what I've seen. Another good piece for Chicago.

I think the fact that I'm sort of at peace with the idea that the Lakers are going to be mediocre at best (and top 5 lottery material at worst) has me sort of looking forward to this season. I'm not too concerned with W/L's I'm just interested in seeing how Kobe and Randle play.

Fjordson

I think the fact that I'm sort of at peace with the idea that the Lakers are going to be mediocre at best (and top 5 lottery material at worst) has me sort of looking forward to this season. I'm not too concerned with W/L's I'm just interested in seeing how Kobe and Randle play.
Yeah, I feel you.

Warriors are sort of in between for me. I have high hopes for the team overall and Steve Kerr as a coach, but I think we're one or two pieces away from being a true contender. Should be a fun season either way, though.

jptrey06

Yeah, I feel you.

Warriors are sort of in between for me. I have high hopes for the team overall and Steve Kerr as a coach, but I think we're one or two pieces away from being a true contender. Should be a fun season either way, though.
I thought they shouldve convinced JO to stay for another year. No way they can live with Ezeli backing up the always injured Bogut

You guys are winning shit. So why care?

Team consisting of Kobe Bryant coming back of injury, Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Jeremy Lin, Nash being somewhat healthy in his last season.
So unpredictable I can't imagine how good or bad the Lakers will be. Most people say they will be bad, but I think they might be good enough to compete for that that 8th seed possibly. We shall see...

Team consisting of Kobe Bryant coming back of injury, Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Jeremy Lin, Nash being somewhat healthy in his last season.
So unpredictable I can't imagine how good or bad the Lakers will be. Most people say they will be bad, but I think they might be good enough to compete for that that 8th seed possibly. We shall see...

It would require everything to go right (no major injuries, minor resurgence from Nash, Kobe playing 70+ games, Randle being a productive rookie, Boozer being Boozer) just for this team to compete for the 8th seed. The west is stacked and this team has too many question marks.

Fjordson

I thought they shouldve convinced JO to stay for another year. No way they can live with Ezeli backing up the always injured Bogut
That would have definitely been nice. But O'Neal was kinda beat up after the last few years and has been around for a long ass time. I can't blame him for being done.

And yeah, our frontcourt is pretty mediocre. Bogut can be surprisingly great when healthy, but it's hard to depend on that. And then after that it's just sort of nothing other than David Lee at the 4 (who I'm sort of lukewarm on these days also).

Bowser

@RichSandomir: NBA to announce $24 billion/9 yr deal w/ ESPN and TNT on Monday. Annual average value nearly 3x current deal.

FP8yE1F.gif

Pimpwerx

Wow, is Shabazz a dud or what? I think James Ennis might become a breakout star for the Heat.

Didn't see, but sounded like he had a good game. He's a better player than his draft spot suggests. The time in Australia did him some good too. James Ennis will be the best James the Heat ever had. :D

Also, that tv money for the NBA sounds right. The product is a lot more valuable than most realize. PEACE.

Bowser

Interesting wrinkle on the new TV deal:

The National Basketball Association reached long-term media rights deals with ESPN majority-owner Walt Disney Co. DIS +1.91% and Time Warner Inc. TWX +2.08% ’s Turner Broadcasting, people familiar with the matter said, more than doubling the fees it received under the previous contracts.

The league also laid plans in partnership with ESPN for a new online video service that would show live regular season games, the people said. In a significant move for ESPN, which derives its huge profits from the pay-TV ecosystem, that service will be open to people who aren’t cable or satellite TV customers.

The contracts with Disney and Turner will give them the rights to NBA games through the 2024-25 season, the people said. NBA telecasts will continue on Turner’s TNT, ESPN and Disney’s ABC network, which will continue to show the NBA Finals, one of the people said.

Disney has been paying the NBA about $485 million a year under its existing contract, while Turner has paid about $445 million annually. Those deals were set to expire after the 2015-16 season. The precise value of the new contracts wasn’t clear, but they will be worth at least twice as much as the earlier deals, the people familiar with the matter said. One of those people said that estimate is conservative.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is expected to announce the media deals in a news conference Monday morning with the next NBA season less than a month away.

As part of its deal, ESPN negotiated a package of games for the online video service. The NBA’s “League Pass” offering already allows users to stream live regular-season games that aren’t televised nationally and aren’t available in their home market.

But ESPN has been cautious about letting its most valuable content—live professional sports games—outside the walls of pay television. Its streaming app WatchESPN is only available to pay-TV customers, so the new online service represents a shift in approach.

For ESPN, the online service is also important because that package of games otherwise could have been sold to a third party.

It isn’t clear whether the online service will be a subscription offering or a “transactional” one in which people will pay for individual games. The parties are considering licensing the package to wireless carriers such as Verizon that are building online video services, one of the people familiar with the matter said. The number of games that will be made available for the online service is still being decided.

The expectation that the NBA’s rights fees would soar has contributed to high valuations for NBA teams. In August, the league approved a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer for $2 billion, more than three times the purchase price of any other NBA team.

The team was on the market after audio recordings surfaced of then Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racially charged comments related to the franchise. The Clippers sale was the third time an NBA team changed hands since 2013. Wall Street titans Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry bought the Milwaukee Bucks this year for $550 million. Last year, the Sacramento Kings went to Vivek Ranadive for about $535 million.

Some of the league’s marquee players, including LeBron James, have structured short-term contracts that will enable them to take advantage as the rising media rights fees lead to an increase in teams’ salary caps.

The NBA’s season tips off on Oct. 28 with three games. Two of the matchups, including one with the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, will be aired on TNT. ESPN broadcasts its first game on Oct. 29.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/nba-reaches-long-term-rights-deals-with-disney-time-warner-1412557587

Klay for $70 million over 5 years seems the likely outcome right? $14 million per...

Because Steph is going to be making 20+ million per when his contract is renegotiated.

Hey, I just started an NBA League Pass subscription. Does it not let you pick your five teams until the season has started?

rambis

Banned
Klay for $70 million over 5 years seems the likely outcome right? $14 million per...

Because Steph is going to be making 20+ million per when his contract is renegotiated.

Hey, I just started an NBA League Pass subscription. Does it not let you pick your five teams until the season has started?
I think Klay is relatively under rated but that seems a bit high. Another decent season though and he's fielding max money. Really sucks.

Top Bottom