• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Two Words

What?

WHAT?!?

Not happy with that comment. He needs to get out more (I know he's not a US citizen) so he doesn't just think being laid back + a jokester = black guy. Sheesh.

Go Dubs!!!

Go Wahoos!!!! (soccer)
yeah I'm surprised about the tone of that article, too. They sound like "hey isn't it neat that that Bogut is getting along with all of the black fellas!"

overcast

Lmao I jinxed the 6ers.

Howard with 26, 13 boards, and 3 blocks.
Harden with 24, 10 boards, and 10 assists.
Dmo with 25 points.
rZQ1370.png

Troy Daniels knocked the ball away from Harden with like 9 seconds left. Killed me lmao.

25 points for D-Mo. Amazing game, glad he and Dwight can work together. D-Mos my favorite rockets player. Triple double for Harden too. Great game!

AcridMeat

Banned
Forgot it was an early game today, but happy to see the the box score. Looks like Draymond and Klay put in work. 20-2 I can't believe it.
Beautiful.

Realistically I'd replace Barnes with Anthony Davis but that's it. East I have no idea...Vucevic with John Wall and Gasol and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cloudy

Banned
I am sick and tired of Steve Kerr getting credit for what GS is doing right now. I call BS on this and every intelligent fan should too

Here are the REAL reasons the Warriors are succeeding:

- Steph is somehow playing better than last year
- Green and Thompson are making "the leap"
- Barnes is improving (okay maybe Kerr deserves some credit here for starting the better player over Iggy)
- Bogut has been healthy
- Livingston signing gives them a legit backup for Steph
- Mo Speights and a deep bench

Mark Jackson would be having the same results and that's why the owner fired him after 2 straight trips to the playoffs to hire his golfing buddy. Would have been tough to push him out after this kind of start

PS: I don't think Mark Jackson was a particularly good coach. I think coaching is highly overrated in fact

zychi

Banned
I am sick and tired of Steve Kerr getting credit for what GS is doing right now. I call BS on this and every intelligent fan should too

- Barnes is improving (okay maybe Kerr deserves some credit here for starting the better player over Iggy)
- Bogut has been healthy

Mark Jackson would be having the same results and that's why the owner fired him after 2 straight trips to the playoffs to hire his golfing buddy. Would have been tough to push him out after this kind of start

PS: I don't think Mark Jackson was a particularly good coach. I think coaching is highly overrated in fact
Yep. Remember the Celtics pre big 3? Everyone said Doc was an idiot and should be fired. Cue KG and Ray, and all of a sudden hes a genius. Nba coaches are the most overrated coach in any sport

Cloudy

Banned
Yep. Remember the Celtics pre big 3? Everyone said Doc was an idiot and should be fired. Cue KG and Ray, and all of a sudden hes a genius. Nba coaches are the most overrated coach in any sport

Yeah and suddenly he was an idiot again after losing to LeBron 2 years in a row. Now he's regained genius status with CP3 and Blake lol

Soonri

- Bogut has been healthy

I dunno, they do a lot more movement on offense compared to last year. Credit to Mark Jackson for that defense though.
As far as coaching, I'd be inclined to agree had the Mavs not taken the Spurs to 7. That should have never EVER happened... except somehow Rick Carlisle pulled magic out of a hat. So yeah, coaching is overrated but not that overrated.

Yeah and suddenly he was an idiot again after losing to LeBron 2 years in a row. Now he's regained genius status with CP3 and Blake lol

Nobody called Doc an idiot for losing to LeBron those years. His team was the underdog, both years. I have no idea where you got any of that from.

TFInUHL.png

I'd have put Klay over Gasol if positions didn't matter. It was also tough to leave Harden off.

East frontcourt is a total wasteland.

I don't think you should fear the Spurs if healthy. Lakers have played both teams twice and we would be 2-0 vs. the Spurs if Kobe wasn't sick the first game. I felt we had ZERO chance vs. GS lol

I'd replace Wall with Lowry,

but it's fine otherwise.

Fjordson

- Bogut has been healthy

I don't think Kerr should get all the credit, but I think he deserves some. Every single stat and metric right now on both sides of the floor is better than what it was under Jackson. Even deeper shit like passes per game (about 100 more per game this year compared to last). Eventually some of the credit should trickle to Kerr. Though I can't argue with the points you listed.

I think you also have to account for the staff as a whole. Jackson was hungry to get credit as a great coach by himself and was hesitant to bring in quality assistants. Kerr may not be vastly better than Jackson, but Kerr + Gentry + Adams is certainly a big leap from last year's staff.

theapg

I dind't watch the game so can you please tell me who the fuck is Robert Convington and why does he have 16 shot attempts? And second how does Tony Wroten go 7-11 in 19 minutes? And if so how the fuck does he only get 19 minutes?

#Tank I know I know but still...

Wroten coming off injury, and Covington has been ballin out lately.

nq3j6Ok.png

Cloudy

Banned
I'd replace Wall with Lowry,

but it's fine otherwise.

You do realize I have Lowry right there, right? lol

As far as coaching, I'd be inclined to agree had the Mavs not taken the Spurs to 7. That should have never EVER happened... except somehow Rick Carlisle pulled magic out of a hat. So yeah, coaching is overrated but not that overrated.

I think Carlisle is the 2nd best coach after Pop but he's been fired from 2 jobs after he couldn't coach-up mediocre talent. My point is that when you have the best talent, ANY coach can have success.

I mean, Spoelstra was on track to be a HOF coach till LeBron left. Shit, he might still make it in with his 2 rings lol

Fjordson

I agree with the overall sentiment that coaches can receive too much credit. And I don't think Kerr is some tactical genius, but I just feel like he's a better fit for the organization. Now of course the season could take a nose dive and I'll look like an idiot for saying this, but that's just my gut feel reading and listening to coverage on the team here in the bay.

Like there's something to be said for simply getting along with people at the end of the day. And not just with the front office (which Jackson didn't do) but I remember hearing how Jackson's overt religiosity alienated some guys. Bogut being the main example of that.

Cloudy

Banned
I am having this same discussion on another forum and a Warriors fan replied with great points;

I've lurked long enough.

Everyone seems to want to attribute the team's success to Kerr. Not enough credit goes to Jackson, and not enough BLAME goes to management.

Yes, the team is passing more this year than last. But Jackson was there for more than just last year. When we made it to the Western Conference Semis in 2012, we were running Horns a lot, and had much more passing. The thing is, in 2012, we had Jarrett Jack and Nate Robinson, along with Carl Landry. We did NOT have Iguodala, and Barnes was playing with the starters.

Management decides to go after Iguodala, an expensive small forward, and they require Jackson to start him, since they cannot justify spending that much money on a bench player. The reasoning was that he would be an extra ball handler, so we could get Steph to play off the ball.

Several problems arose from that signing. The most obvious was hindering Barnes' growth. He showed great success playing with the starters. Steph, Klay, and Lee got so much attention, Barnes was not the focus of the defense's attention. He got open looks because of the people he was playing with. By getting and starting Iguodala, Barnes had to play with less threatening offensive options. This was because the Iguodala signing made it impossible to keep any of the key bench players from the year before. Steph's backups were Kent Bazemore and Toney Douglas, and eventually Jordan Crawford and Steve Blake. None of them were as good as Jack and Nate.

Iguodala also got injured. He was out for a long stretch, and when he came back, he was playing back into game shape. This made the plan of having Steph off the ball impossible. The starters were generally great. The bench was horrible. No one on the perimeter until Crawford came could get their own shot. Basketball IQ was definitely not as high as the year before. Isos were done in hopes that a double-team would come. JO was a capable post player, but at his age, a motion-intensive offense and finishing on a fast break would be asking too much. It was a necessary evil to play slow-down basketball.

So, compared to the year before, we had fewer passes per possession. What changed? The personnel. Who changed the personnel? MANAGEMENT. Jackson was dealt a horrible hand. He bluffed his way to seven games in the first round. That is quite an accomplishment.

So what does management do? They fire Jackson. Some people say that Jackson had a thing against gays. Most of those people quote half an interview where Jackson says he will "pray for (Jason Collins) and his family" after Collins came out. Any Christian knows that praying for someone is a good thing. Collins and his family were going to be the center of a lot of attention. Jackson explicitly said in his interview that he loves Collins, in spite of what the Bible may say, because he knows him as a man. People conveniently overlook that part of the interview. Jackson did not hate gays.

Jackson was also the most successful coach in years. He was the first coach to bring the team to back to back playoffs. And unlike the We Believe team, the Jackson teams were known for their defense. Some people attribute that to Malone. Malone is on record saying that Jackson hired him (for some reason, some people think that management hired him directly). Jackson is on record saying that he wanted Malone as his assistant since before he was hired. They share defensive philosophies. The team won more regular seasons without Malone last year than they did with him the year before. Some say that Mark Jackson was not an Xs and Os guy. You don't have to be in order to be a good head coach. Assistant coaches can do that. You just have to make sure everyone is doing their job well, and get the team focused. Phil Jackson did not create the triangle. His assistant coach, Tex Winter was the Xs and Os guy for most of those titles, with both the Bulls and the Lakers. Even when he wasn't an assistant coach, he was a "consultant" in the last two Lakers titles.

At any rate, Jackson was fired. Shaun Livingston and Leandro Barbosa were acquired. DLee got injured and Draymond was forced into a starting position. Management allowed Kerr to bring Iguodala off the bench. Barnes can play with the starters. Speights is on record saying he started the year too slow last year for liking, and made a conscious effort to be more aggressive this year. The aging JO is gone. Ezeli came back from injury.

So now you have Barnes playing with people that can create open shots for him. He is better than last year, but he was also good the year before, under Jackson. That's not Jackson's fault. Management forced Jackson to start Iguodala.

DLee getting injured and Draymond starting has been a godsend. Draymond gets more hustle plays. He is a better defender. He also stretches the floor more than DLee, allowing the lane to be open up for slashers like the aforementioned Barnes. DLee's injury was not thanks to Kerr.

Klay is coming off a stint with Team USA. That built so much confidence in him, being able to hang with the best in the world. Not thanks to Kerr, and not something Jackson had.

Barbosa can create his own shot. Livingston gets people shots, especially Speights. Speights did not have nearly as many open looks last year, playing with Bazemore/Douglas/Crawford/Blake. Jackson didn't have Barbosa or Livingston. Can't blame him for that.

So the team is doing better, but is that due to Kerr, or is that due to:

Management allowing Iguodala to come off the bench.
Livingston and Barbosa >>>>>> Bazemore and Douglas.
JO, who thrives better in an iso offense, is no longer with the team.
Ezeli is back.
DLee injured/Draymond starting.
Speights making a conscious decision to do better than last year.

???

To me, I think Kerr's offense is better than what we ran last year. But this year's team is also better than what we had last year. When management actually provided Jackson with good players, the team got to the second round. Even with a beat up team, they made it to seven games against the Clippers (without Bogut, without JO for a bit thanks to Big Baby, and with Steph not getting a call at the end of one game, even though he said he was fouled "100 percent". Kerr is not a bad coach. I just don't know what he can do without talented players on the team.

NBAF Gaf need advice so I got the number 1 pick when it comes to the waiver order. Taj Gibson and Montejunas are on waivers who do I choose?

I haven't been following the bulls so much so idk how is Gibson ankle holding up and believe he's a starter so that helps.

Montejunas having a spectacular season so far, however with dwight returning I wonder if that's gonna affect his production/mins.

So nba Gaf what you guys think?

Cloudy

Banned
NBAF Gaf need advice so I got the number 1 pick when it comes to the waiver order. Taj Gibson and Montejunas are on waivers who do I choose?

I haven't been following the bulls so much so idk how is Gibson ankle holding up and believe he's a starter so that helps.

Montejunas having a spectacular season so far, however with dwight returning I wonder if that's gonna affect his production/mins.

I'd probably go Gibson for long-term. D-Mo is the short term play (regardless of Dwight) but will have his role reduced when Terrence Jones returns

Gibson is not a starter. Noah and Gasol are starters.

Cloudy

Banned
The caveat is that Terrence Jones has a nerve issue and who knows when he'll return. If you have a good record now, go Gibson. If you're struggling and need immediate help, go D-Mo

Jonm1010

Banned
I am having this same discussion on another forum and a Warriors fan replied with great points;

I think the thing with the Jackson/Kerr debate is both sides seem to want to mischaracterize the person opposite the side they have taken.

Jackson was a good coach, Kerr is a good coach.

I like Kerr better because he runs a more fluid offense, Jackson had an old school 90s mentality of isolation plays and not staggering minutes. From what I have seen Kerr seems to have a more modern approach that has increased efficiency by emphasizing pace, staggering minutes, players playing in space, making the extra pass and better rotations.

I think the ultimate test for Kerr will be the playoffs. That to me is where coaching becomes a bigger factor. Guys like Pop and Doc are going to find ways to frustrate you and take things away. Expose flaws in your team. Can Kerr make the right adjustments over 7 games?

Fjordson

No Davis for New Orleans today. Tough blow / lucky break for GS.

Also a fun fact about Golden State's defense: not a single one of their opponents this year has managed to shoot 50%.

Bowser

Stein tweeted that the Hornets are looking to trade Lance. He becomes eligible for a trade on Monday.

Just not a good fit with the way this roster is constructed. Took a chance, didn't work out. Need to try to get some shooting back. Wonder if the Clippers would be willing to part with Crawford. They could use a defensive bulldog like Lance.

edit: Ew, the Pacers literally have nothing worth trading for. Send him to the West please.

Just not a good fit with the way this roster is constructed. Took a chance, didn't work out. Need to try to get some shooting back. Wonder if the Clippers would be willing to part with Crawford. They could use a defensive bulldog like Lance.

edit: Ew, the Pacers literally have nothing worth trading for. Send him to the West please.

Lakers for the lulz

Bowser

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
After brief contact w/ Hornets, Nets and Clippers researching Stephenson's time in Charlotte, but yet to show serious interest, sources say.

If Joe Johnson didn't have such a horrendous contract...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
No Bosh tonight.

Congrats on the win Bulls fans. As if New England mutilating the corpse formerly known as the Miami Dolphins wasn't bad enough. I hate when both my local teams lose on the same day.

Fjordson

Another Warrior bleeding out the nose. What the fuck man.

And seeing that replay of Barnes' injury lmao, good god that Cunningham dude is a moron.

Fjordson

Can't believe we're getting owned by Tyreke Evans. My post about our 50% field goal percentage defense jinxed us.

Wasn't that the guy who was just signed after being cleared of an assault charge or something?
Google says the charges were dropped, but I'll just say that his elbow was one of the dumbest plays I've seen in a while during a basketball game.

Top Bottom