• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

That Heat defense last year was far from elite.

think elite might be a bit too strong of a word there

@AD beasting: Very very impressive

FK CJ is injured..broken finger. Hopefully he makes a quick turnaround (I have no clue what kind of time period is needed for such a thing to heal)
The last year it was a step slow and lazy, but the three years before it was consistently one of the top defenses in the league

My point was that these cavs aren't that and aren't going to be that, and I'd like to see them win a ring without a decent defense.

hitme

Today, we remember...
jermaine-o-neal-punch-o.gif

Fjordson

It's shocking how nuts some of those Detroit fans were. Not in a million years would I try to square up an NBA player. Wouldn't even go near them for fear of an NBA player mistakenly assuming I was trying to fight. Dude is so lucky O'Neal slipped on that punch. Or the guy that actually tried to hit Artest from behind at one point. Not smart.

Cloudy

Banned
ESPN doubling down. They can't bring themselves to admit they were wrong about Kobe being the 40th best player so every week they write something to diminish him :roll:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...t-shooting-ultimate-mixed-blessing-lakers-nba

This follows a fascinating trend for Bryant. This isn't normal. Other high-volume scorers like Monta Ellis and LeBron actually see the reverse effect; they shoot less when down. But the further the game is out of the Lakers' reach, the thirstier Bryant is for jump shots.

This follows a fascinating trend for Bryant. This isn't normal. Other high-volume scorers like Monta Ellis and LeBron actually see the reverse effect; they shoot less when down. But the further the game is out of the Lakers' reach, the thirstier Bryant is for jump shots. We saw a similar effect back in the disastrous 2012-13 season.

With Bryant on the floor, the Lakers are scoring a below-average 103.5 points per 100 possessions. One would think that without Bryant, the Lakers would fall apart once he hit the bench. After all, who else can hit shots other than him?

Instead, with Bryant out of the picture, the Lakers have run good stuff and have gotten healthy, open looks from the supporting cast. The result? They're scoring 109.5 points per 100 possessions with the future Hall of Famer on the bench. The team's assist rate climbs from 51.7 percent with Bryant up to 56.5 percent without him.

This is the dumbest thing ever. No one who plays big minutes for LA will have a good +/- when they are 2-9 and uncompetitive for most games. And shame on Kobe for trying to win games even when things look bleak!

The last year it was a step slow and lazy, but the three years before it was consistently one of the top defenses in the league

My point was that these cavs aren't that and aren't going to be that, and I'd like to see them win a ring without a decent defense.

They can get better with team defense, which will require an increasing amount of zone.

iamblades

Ultimately while I don't think Kobe is helping his team win games by shooting as much as he is, I think he is helping his team long term. They need to get top 5 in the lottery so they can keep their pick if they want any hope of rebuilding any time soon.

The team isn't going to make the playoffs in the west no matter what they do(not that they'd make it in the east either), so what is the purpose of them winning just enough games so they lose their pick to Phoenix?

If they keep their pick, and pair it with the late first rounder they are getting from Houston, they will at least have pieces to build something out of.

If they draft well and are lucky and Randle comes back healthy and develops as a player, they could set themselves up in a decent position for the next decade.

Let Kobe chase the scoring title, lose enough games to keep your pick, see what you can do in the draft and free agency during the offseason and build for the future.

Soonri

HE'S BACK HE'S BACK

He's gonna be a decoy that keeps defenders on him cuz they don't wanna give up a 3

E: Also proof that we REALLY don't want Jameer Nelson closing... we put in JJ Barea instead of him

Two Words

Mavs finally beat a playoff team!

Man, I'll never understand why players don't IMMEDIATELY foul in those circumstances. The clock is ticking. The guy isn't just going to cough up the ball.

Top Bottom