• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Anyone good supposed to be in the next draft? I never trust draft picks.

I didn't see anyone that stood out. Maybe we should just let PHX have the pick this year. Then again guys tend to pop up out of nowhere sometimes over the course of the college season.

Might not matter. This team is going to be BAD. I said it last year too. People seem to have this strange idea that Kobe can somehow turn shit into gold. He's 36 years old. He can't do it. Even in his prime he struggled to carry shit rosters to the playoffs. This is a 30 win team. Fellow Laker fans, just enjoy watching Kobe's last couple of seasons and don't stress about the lack of W's.

jptrey06

As a 20 year follower of the Lakers franchise..

1) McHale
2) Harden (respect his talent, hate his game)
3) Dwight ...even though I would have left LA too.
4) Your home announcers. GodDAMN I hate listening to those guys. I thought the two Clippers announcers were annoying.

Love the twin towers though. Sampson ya know.

This and Morey's cockiness. He's a really good GM but he's also cocky af. Mchale is a horrible coach. He's just being carried by his players.

MPW

I didn't see anyone that stood out. Maybe we should just let PHX have the pick this year. Then again guys tend to pop up out of nowhere sometimes over the course of the college season.

Might not matter. This team is going to be BAD. I said it last year too. People seem to have this strange idea that Kobe can somehow turn shit into gold. He's 36 years old. He can't do it. Even in his prime he struggled to carry shit rosters to the playoffs. This is a 30 win team. Fellow Laker fans, just enjoy watching Kobe's last couple of seasons and don't stress about the lack of W's.

this and look forward to 2016 free agency

I do have to say, even though the Lakers suck and Kobe is currently down 6 rounds to 3 to Father Time, just to see how he looks physically, considering the mileage on his legs, the fact that he tore his achilles a year ago, is pretty damn remarkable. Especially considering where his contemporaries are. Steve Nash is broken in half. Allen Iverson is passed out somewhere in an Atlantic City card room. Tracy McGrady was washed up 5 years ago. Ray Allen is waiting for LeBron to call him to he can play half a season and Vince Carter is a bit player in Memphis. Just the fact that he looks the way he does out there, and is moving around how he is...Pretty amazing.

Lakers getting destroyed in the low post. Who knew?

I do have to say, even though the Lakers suck and Kobe is currently down 6 rounds to 3 to Father Time, just to see how he looks physically, considering the mileage on his legs, the fact that he tore his achilles a year ago, is pretty damn remarkable. Especially considering where his contemporaries are. Steve Nash is broken in half. Allen Iverson is passed out somewhere in an Atlantic City card room. Tracy McGrady was washed up 5 years ago. Ray Allen is waiting for LeBron to call him to he can play half a season and Vince Carter is a bit player in Memphis. Just the fact that he looks the way he does out there, and is moving around how he is...Pretty amazing.

Absolutely agree. It's unfortunate my favorite player in the modern era has to go out like this though.

Fjordson

Lmao @ Iverson.

You're right though. Kobe as an athlete is sort of remarkable.

bionic77

I was thinking the same thing.

He is not the best player in the league or even in the conversation anymore but I am surprised how good he actually looks.

lol go easy on iverson yo 😭

kobe has aged pretty gracefully

Father Time is undefeated but some people put up better fights..deep talk

So Lal are gonna try and outbid Dal for Rondo in Feb right?

We have literally SHIT to trade. SHIT. No young pieces (other than Randle, and they aren't moving him for 3 months of Rondo in a tank season), no draft picks. Lakers won't be involved in many trade talks this season.

TNT team clowning the Lakers.

This isn't on Kobe. He's doing what he can.

This is on the Bus children and Mitch. Someone cut off the head of the snake and this is what Laker fans are left with.

Sad.

TNT team clowning the Lakers.

This isn't on Kobe. He's doing what he can.

This is on the Bus children and Mitch. Someone cut off the head of the snake and this is what Laker fans are left with.

Sad.

It's not on anyone. When dynasties end the next few years suck. This is just how things are. It was inevitably going to happen. It's happening to Boston right now too and nobody is talking about how their owners are incompetent.

jptrey06

examples of Morey being cocky?

hes more honest than cocky

TBH I'm just tired of reading about his "genius mind." Plus dissing parsons and the Mavs (tho it was really a horrible signing by the Mavs) in a "I'm-so-genius-and-you're-not" way really ticked me off and I'm not even a Mavs fan.

It's not on anyone. When dynasties end the next few years suck. This is just how things are. It was inevitably going to happen. It's happening to Boston right now too and nobody is talking about how their owners are incompetent.

nobody wants to come to Boston for some reason, LA can't use that excuse so its worse for LA since that place has everything and cali life.

Ainge is an idiot though.

no more Lakers vs Celtics finals, i saw two at least in my lifetime :p

zychi

Banned
Because Boston traded away the old men.

Lakers signed him to a ridiculous contract and begged Dwight to stay. Now they have swaggyp(who I like) and an old boozer,

True. I know its inevitable but still its damn ugly to watch. Ugly to listen to, as well. I HATE when announcers just ramble and gossip...oh look theres a basketball game being played too.

I miss Chick so much.

Because Boston traded away the old men.

Lakers signed him to a ridiculous contract and begged Dwight to stay. Now they have swaggyp(who I like) and an old boozer,

They signed him to a contract that will run one more season. People act like they gave Kobe a 10 year deal. They would have been terrible these next 2 seasons with him or without him (just like Boston will). Kobe's deal and existence isn't holding up any rebuild.

Jonm1010

Banned

Boston is actually doing things smart though. Stockpiling draft picks, not giving out big contracts, tanking. I have little hope the Lakers are gonna be relevant for a long, long time.
They signed him to a contract that will run one more season. People act like they gave Kobe a 10 year deal. They would have been terrible these next 2 seasons with him or without him (just like Boston will). Kobe's deal and existence isn't holding up any rebuild.

It is when you are fighting for ping pongs. Kobe is gonna pull off enough wins that will make you all at best a 3-6 drafting team for the next two years.

The Lakers have made a lot of moves since they got run out of the playoffs by the Mavericks.

None of the moves they've made to stay relevant have stuck (CP3, Dwight, Carmelo) and their coaching carousel has had no real direction whatsoever (Brown, Dantoni, Scott)...and they let the one person that could probably stave off insignificance (Phil) go to the other coast.

Over the past five years the ownership looks pretty damn incompetent to me. Where is the organization going over the next 5 years? Durant?...a top 5 draft pick? (those high draft picks have worked so well in Philly).

Boston is actually doing things smart though. Stockpiling draft picks, not giving out big contracts, tanking. I have little hope the Lakers are gonna be relevant for a long, long time.

I don't know. People said the same thing after Magic retired and Shaq was traded and it didn't take long for the Lakers to reload. Meanwhile Boston (and all those draft picks like Tione, Chauncey, Walter, Pierce) went about 20 years after Bird's peak years before fielding a relevant team again. It's the NBA. All you need is one big trade or signing and you are back in business.

Just getting back from the Spurs game and I did my best to appear neutral and left the old Gary Payton jerseys at home, but only because they were celebrating the ring giveways and unveiling the championship banner. Anyway, game was good albeit sloppy (especially on Spurs side) and Boris Diaw, damn. Dude is like a runway train out there. Control yourself, fool.

Watched David Aldridge drop his phone on the hardwood and curse and shake his head at himself for doing so. :lol. Who hasn't done that? Anyway, here's some pics. We have seasons tickets, but I don't know if I can make all 41 games, shit is time consuming!

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Over the past five years the ownership looks pretty damn incompetent to me. Where is the organization going over the next 5 years? Durant?...a top 5 draft pick? (those high draft picks have worked so well in Philly).

It's hard to say. The league can be unpredicable. Nobody would have thought Chris Paul would wind up with the Clippers. Nobody would have pegged Kevin Love for Cleveland. You just have to keep your options open for those types of moves sometimes.

iamblades

AD's rise to becoming a beast has happened so fast. like 5 years to go from a so so point guard being recruited by lower tier Div 1 teams to the likely future best player in the game.

If he keeps growing and learning, it's hard to even imagine where he will end up.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't know. People said the same thing after Magic retired and Shaq was traded and it didn't take long for the Lakers to reload. Meanwhile Boston (and all those draft picks like Tione, Chauncey, Walter, Pierce) went about 20 years after Bird's peak years before fielding a relevant team again. It's the NBA. All you need is one big trade or signing and you are back in business.

But that was when you had competent people running things and Kobe was in his prime. KD isn't walking through that door.

DMczaf

Kobe having his Wizards seasons with the Lakers is sad. Trade him now, let him continue the legacy of stars finishing up washed up on another franchise.

Send him to Detroit.

But that was when you had competent people running things and Kobe was in his prime. KD isn't walking through that door.

Please. Mitch and Jerry Buss were raked over the coals when Shaq was traded and the Lakers proceeded to turn into a lottery team. Not to mention the subsequent drafting of some unknown chubby high school player. They all of a sudden became geniuses when Pau Gasol miraculously became available. That's the way this shit works. People seem to have short memories.

Jonm1010

Banned
AD's rise to becoming a beast has happened so fast. like 5 years to go from a so so point guard being recruited by lower tier Div 1 teams to the likely future best player in the game.

If he keeps growing and learning, it's hard to even imagine where he will end up.

Whats crazy is he possibly could of had a 30/20/10 game tonight if Monty didn't pull him with 4 minutes left. And frankly he didn't even really start doing much until the middle of the second quarter.

Jonm1010

Banned
Please. Mitch and Jerry Buss were raked over the coals when Shaq was traded and the Lakers proceeded to turn into a lottery team. Not to mention the subsequent drafting of some unknown chubby high school player. They all of a sudden became geniuses when Pau Gasol miraculously became available. That's the way this shit works. People seem to have short memories.

That doesn't change the fact that you all had competent ownership running things and kobe in his prime. Compare that to now. Who in your organization gives you confidence that they will rebuild your roster into something worth a damn and get a coach that will steer it? Mitch seems to have lost it, Byron Scott isn't gonna develop shit and the Buss kids are a joke.

That doesn't change the fact that you all had competent people running things. Compare that to now. Who in your organization gives you confidence that they will rebuild your roster into something worth a damn and get a coach that will steer it?

The same damn GM that put together the last championship team. The same damn owner who was blamed at the time for the Bynum signing. What are you talking about?

Jonm1010

Banned
The same damn GM that put together the last championship team. The same damn owner who was blamed at the time for the Bynum signing. What are you talking about?

People lose it over time. Mitch hasn't made competent decisions in a while. The Buss kids are running the franchise into the ground.

When I look around the league and think of competent front offices and ownership the Lakers are quickly moving down that list.

EDIT: I mean seriously, give me some recent decisions that your team has made that give you confidence in the future prospects of your team?

Ok.

You're right. Laker fans should expect periods of Sedale Threat, Nick the Quick, Eldon Campbell and Vlade Divac as the stars of the team. I get that.

I guess watching so many years of winning basketball has made me forget that it doesn't last.

I'm just a lot less optimistic now than I've ever been as a follower of the franchise.

Top Bottom