• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

People lose it over time. Mitch hasn't made competent decisions in a while. The Buss kids are running the franchise into the ground.

When I look around the league and think of competent front offices and ownership the Lakers are quickly moving down that list.

Mitch Kupchak made the trades for Steve Nash and Dwight, which at the time every GM in the league would have made. They were seen as no-brainers. That was the last big, significant move you can pin on Mitch and the "Buss Kids" and it didn't work out but it was hardly something that everyone would have called an "incompetent decision". Right now they are in the aftermath of those moves not working out and having to deal with the repercussions but it's hardly enough to make me lose faith in the front office. I'm not Jim Buss' biggest fan but I hardly think he's a detriment to the Lakers being successful again. If anything he's shown to be more hands off than people seemed to expect. You sound like Skip Bayless right now, just buying into narrative because its out there.

Jimrpg

I do have to say, even though the Lakers suck and Kobe is currently down 6 rounds to 3 to Father Time, just to see how he looks physically, considering the mileage on his legs, the fact that he tore his achilles a year ago, is pretty damn remarkable. Especially considering where his contemporaries are. Steve Nash is broken in half. Allen Iverson is passed out somewhere in an Atlantic City card room. Tracy McGrady was washed up 5 years ago. Ray Allen is waiting for LeBron to call him to he can play half a season and Vince Carter is a bit player in Memphis. Just the fact that he looks the way he does out there, and is moving around how he is...Pretty amazing.

I know tearing a Achilles is a big deal but I think resting his body for a year will have been really beneficial for him. Not many athletes would come back at that age. Speaking of which is Nash coming back?

iamblades

Whats crazy is he possibly could of had a 30/20/10 game tonight if Monty didn't pull him with 4 minutes left. And frankly he didn't even really start doing much until the middle of the second quarter.

This is what has always stuck out about him to me, ever since i first saw him play for Kentucky. He doesn't force things and he doesn't start playing outside of his comfort zone if he starts out slow, he just keeps playing his game.

He is one of the most mentally steady players I have ever seen play the game. Right up there with Duncan on that metric.

Jonm1010

Banned
Mitch Kupchak made the trades for Steve Nash and Dwight, which at the time every GM in the league would have made. They were seen as no-brainers. That was the last big, significant move you can pin on Mitch and the "Buss Kids" and it didn't work out but it was hardly something that everyone would have called an "incompetent decision". Right now they are in the aftermath of those moves not working out and having to deal with the repercussions but it's hardly enough to make me lose faith in the front office. I'm not Jim Buss' biggest fan but I hardly think he's a detriment to the Lakers being successful again. If anything he's shown to be more hands off than people seemed to expect. You sound like Skip Bayless right now, just buying into narrative because its out there.

No I just call it like I see it. I admit I don't follow you all day to day but you seem to have no plan, no direction, no light at the end of the tunnel. You keep cycling through bad coaches, can no longer keep big name stars, don't have anyone developing that will make a longterm difference. I guess you all still have money and the allure of LA but I'm just not that optimistic for you all.

No I just call it like I see it. I admit I don't follow you all day to day but you seem to have no plan, no direction, no light at the end of the tunnel. You keep cycling through bad coaches, can no longer keep big name stars, don't have anyone developing that will make a longterm difference. I guess you all still have money and the allure of LA but I'm just not that optimistic for you all.

You don't seem to follow the league at all or are just purposely ignorant to how things have worked the last few years. Don Sterling was one of the worst owners in sports but somehow lucked his way into CP3 and Blake. Dan Gilbert is a moron and he's now got Bron and Love. It's not as dire as you think. The league is unpredictable and on top of that, it takes one or two moves to turn an entire franchises fortunes around, whether you think an owner is bad, or a GM has "lost it" or not. Sorry for not thinking the sky is falling.

500x1000px-LL-9edd75ba_kobe-bryant-dwight-howard-fight.jpeg

Rewatching the Pelicans game right now. I love their regular announcers. I can catch Lakers games on other free sites so I guess I'll move the Pelicans into their spot.

Anthony Davis is simply amazing. He runs like a point guard...yet can defend the post, and hit the mid range jumper. He's a more athletic prime KD.

Awesome.

Dewayne Dedmond...wish he was still on the Warriors D-league.

Dwight Howard has to be one of the least intimidating big men in the history of the league. He makes David Robinson look like Charles Oakley.

Watching thru tnt stream. I got the player cam on kobe and trying to lip read and he seems he said to howard "youre so full of shit..... Bitchass" lmao

Jonm1010

Banned
You don't seem to follow the league at all or are just purposely ignorant to how things have worked the last few years. Don Sterling was one of the worst owners in sports but somehow lucked his way into CP3 and Blake. Dan Gilbert is a moron and he's now got Bron and Love. It's not as dire as you think. The league is unpredictable and on top of that, it takes one or two moves to turn an entire franchises fortunes around, whether you think an owner is bad, or a GM has "lost it" or not. Sorry for not thinking the sky is falling.

You seem to just think that because things have fallen into your franchises lap that it will continue for eternity. But what you don't seem to understand is that a lot of the reasons so many good things went your way are gone, past their prime or on their way out of the league. It took Sterling most his life to luck into CP3 and that was only because the league stepped in and nullified the original trade to you. Look at New York. After their last heyday they have spent decades trying to luck into what you seem to think is commonplace.

You're the Lakers, you will always have an allure unless you go full Sterling with the franchise, but even then.

But I am still waiting for you to tell me what recent actions by the team gives you so much confidence that you will bounce back quickly in the next few years?

Top Bottom