• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well of course I'm not being serious. But Dwight is bitchmade.

...Also that is rough, I hope he has a good recovery.

EDIT: shit, broken leg or achilles? Thats so shitty.

Hope it's a broken leg if you're a lakeer fan. Achilles almost certainly means his season's over - those take at least 4-6 months to heal and that's for a normal person.

You seem to just think that because things have fallen into your franchises lap that it will continue for eternity. But what you don't seem to understand is that a lot of the reasons so many good things went your way are gone, past their prime or on their way out of the league. It took Sterling most his life to luck into CP3 and that was only because the league stepped in and nullified the original trade to you. Look at New York. After their last heyday they have spent decades trying to luck into what you seem to think is commonplace.

You're the Lakers, you will always have an allure unless you go full Sterling with the franchise, but even then.

But I am still waiting for you to tell me what recent actions by the team gives you so much confidence that you will bounce back quickly in the next few years?

What I am telling you is that ownership doesn't have as much to do with it as you are making it seem. You act like Jimmy Buss can single handedly destroy this franchise when he doesn't have (or even want to have) complete control. You are buying into media bullshit. I'm saying a lot of what makes the successful teams successful in the NBA is luck and things just bouncing their way and opportunities arising out of the blue. I think the "plan" for this team is to keep their options open because you don't know what is going to happen. You don't know who is going to become available, what star player might demand a trade, those things can't be predicted.

As for recent decisions, go back to the last two major ones: Getting Nash and Getting Dwight. Those didn't work out but are you going to tell me they were bad decisions? Everybody and their mother was praising those moves when they happened and crowning the Lakers. And they were able to make those moves because they kept their options open, which is what they seem to be doing now.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hope it's a broken leg if you're a lakeer fan. Achilles almost certainly means his season's over - those take at least 4-6 months to heal and that's for a normal person.

Yeah I guess so. It would be a shame if his entire season is lost without even one game played.

Strider

I must have turned it off right before the injury. Man that sucks :( I hate to see any player get injured but your first game? Rough.

Jonm1010

Banned
What I am telling you is that ownership doesn't have as much to do with it as you are making it seem. You act like Jimmy Buss can single handedly destroy this franchise when he doesn't have (or even want to have) complete control. You are buying into media bullshit. I'm saying a lot of what makes the successful teams successful in the NBA is luck and things just bouncing their way and opportunities arising out of the blue. I think the "plan" for this team is to keep their options open because you don't know what is going to happen. You don't know who is going to become available, what star player might demand a trade, those things can't be predicted.

As for recent decisions, go back to the last two major ones: Getting Nash and Getting Dwight. Those didn't work out but are you going to tell me they were bad decisions? Everybody and their mother was praising those moves when they happened and crowning the Lakers. And they were able to make those moves because they kept their options open, which is what they seem to be doing now.

Luck is a factor but without the right foundation in place any "luck" you get is lost if you don't have that foundation. And I don't think you all have any longterm foundation right now.

Dwight and Nash both were in LA in part because of Kobe and the desire to win(Dwight moreso for the market but still). Kobe will be gone in two years or so. So what is enticing the next Nash, Dwight or CP3 to want to come to the Lakers? Draft picks are a crapshoot but you certainly might hit the jackpot, but realistically thats not likely. You don't have many valuable trade assets to help acquire youth or make a blockbuster trade and you aren't gonna be the top of the list for any disgruntled stars. Even if you do get a top 5 type that wants to come there who is going to coach him? Who makes up his supporting cast? I don't see any new Big 3 coming up that will want to make LA their home but maybe I'm wrong.

I just think you are very much underestimating how long of a road you will have to climb back to where you are used to as a Lakers fan and have taken for granted just how blessed you have been. It's going to be a humbling experience for your fanbase as I think you all are at least 3-4 years away from any real relevance again. Again though IMO.

Mxrz

Don't think Nash or D'Antoni were ever good ideas.

This was a pretty terrible pick for an opening night game.

Luck is a factor but without the right foundation in place any "luck" you get is lost if you don't have that foundation. And I don't think you all have any longterm foundation right now.

Dwight and Nash both were in LA in part because of Kobe and the desire to win(Dwight moreso for the market but still). Kobe will be gone in two years or so. So what is enticing the next Nash, Dwight or CP3 to want to come to the Lakers? Draft picks are a crapshoot but you certainly might hit the jackpot, but realistically thats not likely. You don't have many valuable trade assets to help acquire youth or make a blockbuster trade and you aren't gonna be the top of the list for any disgruntled stars.

I just think you are very much underestimating how long of a road you will have to climb back to where you are used to as a Lakers fan.

I'm not underestimating anything I'm not expecting the Lakers to be contenders again in a year or two. Hell i've said the rebuild will really begin AFTER next season when Kobe is gone.

I think the best attribute of Mitch and this front office is that they don't make panic moves. They didn't trade the 7th pick thinking they'd be able to compete this year. They were able to trade for Dwight because they didn't trade Bynum sooner in a panic move to bring in some aging veteran that might help the team win immediately. I think the front office is a lot more patient than they are given credit for. I think Mitch and co. know they are in for a few years of rebuilding, which is why they have only signed guys to one and two year deals rather than blowing their wad on some middling player in free agency.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
After the draft, didn't Randle decline surgery to repair his foot that he broke in high school?

Wonder if it's related. What a start to the season.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm not underestimating anything I'm not expecting the Lakers to be contenders again in a year or two. Hell i've said the rebuild will really begin AFTER next season when Kobe is gone.

I think the best attribute of Mitch and this front office is that they don't make panic moves. They didn't trade the 7th pick thinking they'd be able to compete this year. They were able to trade for Dwight because they didn't trade Bynum sooner in a panic move to bring in some aging veteran that might help the team win immediately. I think the front office is a lot more patient than they are given credit for. I think Mitch and co. know they are in for a few years of rebuilding, which is why they have only signed guys to one and two year deals rather than blowing their wad on some middling player in free agency.

Ok. I was getting the impression you were inferring the Lakers would be back to form in a couple years or something.

Long term I think you all have a better chance then most of having a successful rebuild just because its LA. Still I question Mitch with his coaching hires and seeming lack of assets to really go all in with a rebuild. You all will have cap space, I give you that.

Soonri

Damn, Randle's from my hometown. Hope he's okay, I really wanted to see more of him.
Lakers seem pretty snakebit from the injuries.

tm24

Dang, Randle's mom was crying in the tunnel. I can't imagine coming down from that high of seeing your pride and joy doing what loves in front of so many people to this

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Welp, season over. Its never good when two of your remaining 3 big men are Boozer and Sacre.

Kobe should just so knock out dwight and get suspended this year to ensure the tank.

Ok. I was getting the impression you were inferring the Lakers would be back to form in a couple years or something.

Long term I think you all have a better chance then most of having a successful rebuild just because its LA.

no way man. I've been on record since last season that we are going to be terrible until Kobe is gone. I'm not delusional. Who knows what happens beyond that. Does KD become available? Westbrook? Cousins? Does some great player come out of college in a year when we get a high draft pick? Just have to keep your options open. And the one thing I don't think this front office will do is try and maintain mediocrity. They go for HRs, and yeah sometimes they strikeout, but more often than not you need HRs to win in the NBA. The league is littered with teams that were lauded for doing things "the smart way" and stockpiled draft picks, or cap space, for years and ended up with nothing to show for it.

I hope Randle is good. The Lakers are always beat up and more injuries are once again putting the nail in the coffin before it even starts. Ugh...

Kobe should of knocked the fuck out of Dwight. That was so intentional imo.

Smokey

I hope Randle is good. The Lakers are always beat up and more injuries are once again putting the nail in the coffin before it even starts. Ugh...

Kobe should of knocked the fuck out of Dwight. That was so intentional imo.

Yeah lets ignore Kobe repeatedly slapping at Dwight/ball. Instead he ended up catching a bow and tries to show out when losing by 20+. TNT crew agreed that was Kobe's fault but nah lets act otherwise cuz Dwight reasons

aznpxdd

Yeah lets ignore Kobe repeatedly slapping at Dwight/ball. Instead he ended up catching a bow and tries to show out when losing by 20+. TNT crew agreed that was Kobe's fault but nah lets act otherwise cuz Dwight reasons

Smokey, why is Dwight so soft?

Fjordson

What the hell, just saw the video of Randle's injury. So weird. Can't even tell what caused it. Didn't seem he came down on it badly or anything.

What the hell, just saw the video of Randle's injury. So weird. Can't even tell what caused it. Didn't seem he came down on it badly or anything.

After watching him for a year at UK, I can say he always lands awkwardly. Not sure if that contributed to this or his broken ankle in HS, but I always did kinda wonder about it every time he landed.

Just woke up after falling asleep during the game, and the first thing I see on Twitter is Randle being loaded into an ambulance and my stomach dropped. I hope he doesn't rush it like I honestly think he did with his ankle injury in HS and comes back better.

Fjordson

After watching him for a year at UK, I can say he always lands awkwardly. Not sure if that contributed to this or his broken ankle in HS, but I always did kinda wonder about it every time he landed.

Just woke up after falling asleep during the game, and the first thing I see on Twitter is Randle being loaded into an ambulance and my stomach dropped. I hope he doesn't rush it like I honestly think he did with his ankle injury in HS and comes back better.
You're right about some awkward landings when he goes up, but I truly couldn't see anything in this. One of those weird freak injuries seems like.

But wasn't his high school injury a broken bone in his foot? I remember some NBA personnel were worried about it before the draft. He has a screw in there that helped fix a bone I think.

AcridMeat

Banned
Got off work around 11pm, sad to hear about Randle, how was the Dallas/SA game? That was the one I was really interested in.

Fjordson

Got off work around 11pm, sad to hear about Randle, how was the Dallas/SA game? That was the one I was really interested in.
Much better game. Both teams looked good, SA won by one. Parsons was rough, shot horribly, but Dallas looks pretty mean overall.

AcridMeat

Banned
That's good to hear. I'm rooting for Dallas, well, any success to Dirk anyway. I guess Monta too just for enduring our shitty teams and getting some success before leaving. Also did the Pelicans crush Orlando? They may be an early sleeper of the west.

AcridMeat

Banned
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn Anthony Davis 26 points 17 rebounds 9 blocks what a fucking dirty mofo. Granted its Orlando but Pelicans looked strong.

By the way when is the deadline to update fantasy during the week? Or is it 24 hours so you can swap if you want to?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Achilles isn't 4-6 months. It took Billups almost 15 to be back on the floor and he wound up taking another two off after playing a bit. IIRC.

And it's unlikely that Kobe's knee injury wasn't effected/caused by his Achilles still healing.
Once that heal cord gets shorter and less flexible that stress has to be transferred somewhere. His knee lost out.

* I had Achilles surgery in Feb 2013 and it took me almost 6 months to be able to walk without a considerable limp and almost 9 months to be able to run again.

It's good news that Randle broke his leg.

One question: what brand of shoes was Randle wearing? Is he an Adidas guy?
* nope just checked. He was wearing Nike's and they weren't even ultra light crap shoes. Freak injury maybe. Horrible bone density possibly. Doesn't look good for his career when his leg snaps from just pushing up to jump.

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn Anthony Davis 26 points 17 rebounds 9 blocks what a fucking dirty mofo. Granted its Orlando but Pelicans looked strong.

By the way when is the deadline to update fantasy during the week? Or is it 24 hours so you can swap if you want to?

If the Pelicans can win 45-50 games and make the playoffs, he's gonna be the MVP.

Top Bottom