• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

For starters, nobody outside of Boston is calling Rondo the best PG in the league. Nobody.

Secondly, Westbrook doesn't ignore players outside of Chewbacca and Durant. THOSE are the team's scorers. Should be be dishing more to Perkins and Sefolosha? What an idiotic argument. He's the team's number two scoring option and causes lots of mismatches and headaches for his opponents. OKC is built around Durant and Westbrook dominating the ball because they're those kind of players that can get whatever shot they want.

Rondo is a career 62% shooter from the line and 25% from behind the arc. I'm glad that he's a solid passer, since he obviously can't shoot worth a damn.

Rondo's superior assist rate, by the way, equates to 1.5 more a game, so don't act like he's some passing god here. YNB gives you better shooting, slightly more rebounds, slightly less assists, and almost double the points.

To pick Rondo over Westbrook would be pure idiocy.

Never said Rondo was the best PG in the league (though many do call him the best PG in the league after his playoff runs). Mostly it depends on the situation. Rondo would be a better fit with OKC while Westbrook would be a better fit on today's Celtics. It isn't about stats man. Rondo has better shot selection, better help defense, and is better with game management. Westbrook is a better scorer, better at slashing (drawing fouls), and better at man defense.

I guarantee you Perkins would not be averaging only 3 PPG on sub 45% FG if Rondo was the PG for the Thunder. Rondo on last year's Thunder would basically be the 2008 Celtics. Martin, Durant, and Ibaka should fit so well together. Rondo would have that offense running like a well oiled machine. I know Westbrook got injured so we will never really know whether they could have won it all, but I did watch them sometimes..I just feel their chances of winning in the playoffs would be greater with a PG like Rondo. Rondo is much more consistent with what he does well. There wouldn't be as many dips and valleys with Rondo running the show there. Most people would agree. The original point of this argument was that you called them similar players, which is just objectively false. It's just completely wrong. Their play styles and what they offer to a team are completely different.

Rondo on the '12 Thunder? That Finals would have went 7 games instead of 5 easily. Did you even see what Rondo did to the Heat in the ECF that same year with a depleted roster?

By the way, Rondo and Westbrook pretty much have the same exact shooting percentages everywhere within the arc. Their 10-23 foot jump shots are on par with each other. Westbrook is not that much better of a shooter than Rondo if at all. Rondo was actually a top 5 mid range shooter in the league last season. You should probably do more than just look at raw FT and 3P percentages. Rondo barely shoots 3's. This is the first season he shot them with any kind of volume, and he only shot about 2% worse than Westbrook.

Jonm1010

Banned
Puhlease. Rondo is YNB without a jumpshot.

He dominates the ball and kills the flow of the offense worse than Westbrook. Rondo is a total stats whore and kills any flow around him. You're the first person I've seen argue that he's a high level mental player. He's quite clearly not.

Haha I didn't feel like touching this aspect of your argument last night because so much else was so silly but geez you really must not watch rondo do you?

He dominates the ball in the sense that the offense is ran through him to which he then distributes to other playmakers. Westbrook dominates the ball in the sense that he keeps the ball and gets his while often forgetting that the main focus of his position is not as a scorer but as a facilitator for the whole team. He's labeled as a combo point guard but plays more like a straight SG.

Westbrook averages 18 shots per game over the last four seasons. Rondo averages 11. For his career rondo averages less then 10 attempts per game.

In every season Boston's big 4 was together rondo averaged the least amount of shots of all of the them but posted averages of double digit assists in the last three consecutive seasons together. Averaging almost 11 shot attempts and 11 assists per game.

Meanwhile Westbrook was on his team battling out with durant each season and even winning once in taking more shots then anyone else on the team.

One guy needs to learn to tone down his dominance and focus on facilitating while the other guy struggled at times to tone down the facilitating and be more of a scorer. One guy likes to drive or dribble to look for his shot and will pass it off occasionally and has a tendency to take bad jump shots or commit to too much Iso offense when he needs to get others involved more. The other likes to drive to draw defenses in and uses his skillset as one of the leagues best kick out passers to set up teammates in the open regularly and often shies away from jump shots which can and has led to trouble for him offensively.

Honestly I would take a rondo/durant led thunder over a Westbrook/durant led thunder in a 7 game series. Hell give the thunder a healthy rondo and a cheap clutch shooter like we had in Morrow this year and the thunder would be a finals lock IMO.

Westbrook has his things he's better at then rondo but the overall point is they are NOT the same player and the idea that rondo is like Westbrook but worse when it comes to selfishness is laughable. And I actual like Westbrook as a person and haven't heard much to like about Rondo as a person but a lot of things not to like.

lil smoke

Banned
The refs are too much involved, but from over here it looks balanced. Bad calls both ways.

The NBA will always favor the aggressive team.

see5harp

The dominoes commercial is hilarious. Innovation, daring, we think outside the box. WE CANNOT BE AFRAID TO FAIL. We proudly present....chicken with pizza toppings.

For starters, nobody outside of Boston is calling Rondo the best PG in the league. Nobody.

Secondly, Westbrook doesn't ignore players outside of Chewbacca and Durant. THOSE are the team's scorers. Should be be dishing more to Perkins and Sefolosha? What an idiotic argument. He's the team's number two scoring option and causes lots of mismatches and headaches for his opponents. OKC is built around Durant and Westbrook dominating the ball because they're those kind of players that can get whatever shot they want.

Rondo is a career 62% shooter from the line and 25% from behind the arc. I'm glad that he's a solid passer, since he obviously can't shoot worth a damn.

Rondo's superior assist rate, by the way, equates to 1.5 more a game, so don't act like he's some passing god here. YNB gives you better shooting, slightly more rebounds, slightly less assists, and almost double the points.

Stuart1.jpg

Jonm1010

Banned

Actually if you look at the last four years of play rondo is averaging 10.95 assists per game and Westbrook is averaging 7. Rondo led the league twice and his league leading assists of 11.7 in 11-12 hasn't been matched since Stockton in the 90s.

Top Bottom