• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Jonm1010

Banned
Doc Rivers and Alvin Gentry are both better than Scott Brooks as a coach. It's not a fair fight when it comes down to coaching

Im genuinely curious, not because I think he's a great coach but because as someone who doesn't get to watch 82 thunder games a year, what is Brooks critical flaws? I have some of my own issues but am curious what Thunder fans have to say.

This is one of those games that really shows the ability (or lack thereof) of both coaching staffs. Doc got his team prepared.

Still rolling with LAC/SA WCF.

Im genuinely curious, not because I think he's a great coach but because as someone who doesn't get to watch 82 thunder games a year, what is Brooks critical flaws? I have some of my own issues but am curious what Thunder fans have to say.

I like Brooks, but where do I start?

He's a great motivator but doesn't really coach at all. The team has little offensive flow and he doesn't seem to design any plays. He has two amazing scorers who hide that flaw, but the entire offense typically involves one high screen followed by a pull up jumper or an iso.

Even worse, he doesn't seem to have a solid game plan in terms of lineups or roster management. There's just no adjustment for the happenings on the court. Where was the defensive assignment swap on Paul tonight? Sefolosha should have been on him, and more help and bumps off the high screen are an obvious mitigation.

Tonight he just randomly put new lineups out there to see what would stick. You shouldn't be doing that in the playoffs.

Jonm1010

Banned
I like Brooks, but where do I start?

He's a great motivator but doesn't really coach at all. The team has little offensive flow and he doesn't seem to design any plays. He has two amazing scorers who hide that flaw, but the entire offense typically involves one high screen followed by a pull up jumper or an iso.

Even worse, he doesn't seem to have a solid game plan in terms of lineups or roster management. There's just no adjustment for the happenings on the court. Where was the defensive assignment swap on Paul tonight? Sefolosha should have been on him, and more help and bumps off the high screen are an obvious mitigation.

Tonight he just randomly put new lineups out there to see what would stick. You shouldn't be doing that in the playoffs.

Yeah I definitely noticed he is bad at adjustments and also in love with his lineups and match ups. Doesn't seem to veer much to the teams detriment.

untitled-61vd7c.gif

Lack of focus on the defensive end.
Adjustments aren't seen within the game, but the next game.
His offensive play sets or lack of offensive plays. I mean I believe last game OKC opened up with a post play to Kendrick Perkins. Lack of execution. Often just a bunch of screens to Westbrook's fitting, and KD ISOplays.
His rotations.
How he can't influence Westbrook's decision making and just give him the keys to the car.
Personally for me, the fact that he isn't or wasn't getting Spo level criticism early on. Just amazes me.

dream

I saw the real OKC in that series against Miami, Pimpster. I saw the real Kevin Durant, and I realized he'll never be that guy.

I was actually kind of bummed out cp3 got sat early for the rest of the game... Was really curious to see him break the record for 3's in a playoff game.

He has 2 of the 10 best offensive players in the league and can't come up with a better offensive gameplan than "give Kevin the ball 20 feet from the basket".

After losing to Miami, I told you they would never make the finals again with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Perk.

You somehow knew they wouldn't have Harden when nobody else in the world expected him gone?

Riiight. Also, I'll make note of your prediction for when it's proven wrong. This might not be their year, we'll see.

AcridMeat

Banned
Damn, not the Game 1s I expected tonight.

Oh and...

Hibbert, 17:43, 0/2 0 points 0 Rebounds 1 assist 2 turnovers 2 blocks 5 fouls
Gooden, 17:47, 5/11 12 points 13 rebounds (7 off) 1 turnover 5 fouls

Damn.

How the fuck are you a starting ALL STAR 7 footer and record zero rebounds. What a bunk piece of trash.

Meanwhile Paul with 12/14 holy crap!

Pimpwerx

You somehow knew they wouldn't have Harden when nobody else in the world expected him gone?

Riiight. Also, I'll make note of your prediction for when it's proven wrong. This might not be their year, we'll see.
I think he made that prediction. Everyone knew one of Ibaka or Harden was gone. Just not which one. PEACE.

Brashnir

The all-time list of players to have three 25+ point playoff games before their 21st birthday:

1) Bradley Beal

Kind of blew me away when I saw it. Not LeBron, not Kobe, not KG, not Moses fucking Malone - only Beal.

I knew the kid was good, but I'm not sure I realized how impressive he was for his age until now.

hoos30

The all-time list of players to have three 25+ point playoff games before their 21st birthday:

1) Bradley Beal

Kind of blew me away when I saw it. Not LeBron, not Kobe, not KG, not Moses fucking Malone - only Beal.

I knew the kid was good, but I'm not sure I realized how impressive he was for his age until now.

It's just a quirky stat. Few of the greatest players got the chance do to so. They were either in college or on truly terrible teams.

PhatSaqs

Banned

1) Bradley Beal

ClosedColossalIcefish.gif

andthebeatgoeson

Missed the games but this sums up the Pacers right now:

The pacers are on a fast break both times and the Wizards are getting 4 people back to defend and it looks like no other Pacers are running the break. Da fuq? Goddamn, go home you bums. Please do not let these bums advance. WTF? Do these asshats know how to even run a fast break?

Top Bottom