• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Fjordson

Checked Grantland and saw this article.. I haven't finished reading it, but so far it been a great read. Grantland always delivers on anything basketball.
Damn, this is pretty good.

Little OT here, but Grantland has become really good the last few years. Their podcasts are good also. I actually am not a huge fan of Bill Simmons on ESPN, but he's great everywhere else (as are the other Grantland writers).

Like Bill's recent interview with Michael Rapaport about the Knicks is hilarious. He just seems more comfortable in that setting to me than on ESPN.

DJwest

Not me breh. I feel spurs will get the Heat this time around if that happens lol. I still remember how shitty I felt when heat was down 5 with 30 seconds to go in game 6. Fuckin tmac was laughing at the bench thinking he got his ring.
Lmao ! I love T-Mac but come on brah !

Fjordson

Kinda crazy how massive the NFL is. The draft yesterday absolutely crushed both playoff games in ratings, despite one of them having the NBA's biggest star.

Kinda crazy how massive the NFL is. The draft yesterday absolutely crushed both playoff games in ratings, despite one of them having the NBA's biggest star.

But Silver promised he'd grow the NBA to be bigger than the NFL!

Honestly, the NBA's long term advantage is that it's a global sport. American football is not.

zychi

Banned

Everyone knows the Heat will beat BK
No one besides die-hard fans watch Spurs games.

The NFL draft had Manizel dropping, Jerruh possibly fucking up, and ESPN putting all stops to overblow the entire thing, instead of overblowing LBJ.

Real simple.

lil smoke

Banned
Everyone knows the Heat will beat BK
No one besides die-hard fans watch Spurs games.

The NFL draft had Manizel dropping, Jerruh possibly fucking up, and ESPN putting all stops to overblow the entire thing, instead of overblowing LBJ.

Real simple.
The NBA was a lot better when they had blue collar stars they everyone could relate to.

Watching Lebron go down the lane and everyone part the red sea just aint that interesting.

Oakley would have blocked him once and early, and made a game much more interesting to watch Lebron become more and more scared to go inside. Not that he wouldn't just light up the outside...

edit: when I say block, I mean BLOCK.

Go Pacers!
mWovpmT.png

zychi

Banned
The NBA was a lot better when they had blue collar stars they everyone could relate to.

Watching Lebron go down the lane and everyone part the red sea just aint that interesting.

Oakley would have blocked him once and early, and made a game much more interesting to watch Lebron become more and more scared to go inside. Not that he wouldn't just light up the outside...

now you get fined and a week suspension if you touch lebron or any of the stars.

Just means the sport needs someone that isn't Lebron. Nobody but Miami "fans" like him.

I don't know if that's it. I mean, I find LeBron as annoyingly fake as the next guy, but we all loved Jordan and he was every bit the dickhead that BronBron is. Moreover, the size of the NFL alone means there are way more idiots running rampant in that league than the NBA.

I'd argue one key differentiation is the length of the respective seasons in terms of number of games. NFL teams play 16 games and then the playoffs roll around. In the NBA, you're looking at 82 games pre-playoffs which makes each game less meaningful. Don't get me started on baseball.

I realize that no league will ever reduce the number of games played (in fact, the opposite is always the owner's preference), so that's always going to be an issue.

Pimpwerx

No, the NBA was not bett err then. That's such bullshit.

You liked physical basketball with no layups or dunks? You must watch exclusively Pacers, Grizzlies and Bulls games, right? I mean, they play ugly fuckball, which is exactly what you're describing. Huh! I wonder why those games are stuck on NBATV all the time. Oh yeah...because its shitty basketball. I can watch talentless goons at the local park. I love him, but Oakley wouldn't even be a rotation player in today's league. Dude wasn't exactly talented with the ball. PEACE.

No, the NBA was not bett err then. That's such bullshit.

You liked physical basketball with no layups or dunks? You must watch exclusively Pacers, Grizzlies and Bulls games, right? I mean, they play ugly fuckball, which is exactly what you're describing. Huh! I wonder why those games are stuck on NBATV all the time. Oh yeah...because its shitty basketball. I can watch talentless goons at the local park. I love him, but Oakley wouldn't even be a rotation player in today's league. Dude wasn't exactly talented with the ball. PEACE.

You'd rather watch Lebron and Wade get babied by the refs while flopping. PEACE.

Fjordson

I don't really blame today's style of basketball or its stars for playing second fiddle to the NFL, even though I dislike the Lebrons and the Blake Griffins as much as anyone, I just think the NFL has become such a monstrous juggernaut.

I still enjoy the NBA (and college bball) slightly more than the NFL, just interesting that a draft could kill it in the ratings over actual playoff games from another sport.

Even I wouldn't wish for syphon/bam/tragicomedy/zychi/lil smoke/BadAss to have to sit through another wiz pacers game. That was some horrid ass game..

Jonm1010

Banned
But Silver promised he'd grow the NBA to be bigger than the NFL!

Honestly, the NBA's long term advantage is that it's a global sport. American football is not.
I agree and it doesn't have an epidemic of brain injuries that can occur as early as youth league.

Give it 20 years and the NFL following and the league itself is going to look a lot different as more players become examples of the dangers of the sport, parents more and more refuse to let their children play, schools stop allowing tackle football and the societal backlash grows.

I love football but the reality is its a life shortening sport and the most dangerous major sport in the world for your long term physical health.

Top Bottom