• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Spurs are scary good. How are they doing this without Parker?

gregg-popovich-approved-o.gif

Jonm1010

Banned
Steve Kerr might regret his choice to coach the warriors after he realizes how hard it is to just make the playoffs in the west.

The Knicks were hands down the easier place to go.

The West is brutal and it isn't going to give any time soon.

I mean next season there are really only 2 or 3 teams you can realistically count out of the playoff hunt: Kings, Jazz, and maybe the Lakers. Everyone else has the potential to challenge for a playoff spot if healthy.

Branduil

The NBA needs to do the right thing and go to a top-16-overall format. The western conference owners run their teams 100x better and their reward is a playoff gauntlet, they have to be getting fed up. And the leastern losers aren't helped by getting into the playoffs unfairly because it just gives them a worse pick.

AcridMeat

Banned
The NBA needs to do the right thing and go to a top-16-overall format. The western conference owners run their teams 100x better and their reward is a playoff gauntlet, they have to be getting fed up. And the leastern losers aren't helped by getting into the playoffs unfairly because it just gives them a worse pick.
I like this idea. #fucktheleast

Seeing Deron out there in the 2nd round was such a joke.

BadAss2961

Doesn't matter where Steve Kerr ended up, he's destined to be a bust. His reign in Phoenix flopped, and no one wanted him until Phil Jackson did. Suddenly he becomes the hottest coach available.

Golden State is dumb as hell.

AcridMeat

Banned
Doesn't matter where Steve Kerr ended up, he's destined to be a bust. His reign in Phoenix flopped, and no one wanted him until Phil Jackson did. Suddenly he becomes the hottest coach available.

Golden State is dumb as hell
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

god damn I can't believe they bought this hype thinking about it more and the coaches available out there. :(

Hey, maybe he'll perform like Hornacek, hahahahahahahahahaha, but another year of Jackson would have been better than this.

Jonm1010

Banned

I agree 100%. The current format really does make little sense and the only real reason it exists is out of history and tradition.

Fjordson

I'm holding out hope that Kerr will be okay.

Why he's been so sought after confuses me as well, though. Still say Stan Van would have been a nice get, but I guess the president role with Detroit was more attractive.

Doesn't work for time zone scheduling.

WoodWERD

I'm guessing (hoping) two more seasons until this becomes a reality. NBA would love another 3-peat and to keep the narrative going the next year. Hopefully whoever comes out of the west crushes the Heat but that ain't happening..it will go 6-7. And Kerr is going to do just fine.

/need to put Spurs avatar back on

Into

I doubt the ratings for Eastern conference games are all that great, the biggest story and drama is what is the wrong with Pacers, which is hardly a ratings pull "COME SEE IF THE PACERS CAN STOP SUCKING, JOIN US LIVEEE!!". Last year it was whether Rose would be back to help the Bulls and the whole playoff tree featured one significant series in Pacers - Heat. Years prior to that it was whether the Celtics still "got it". The time before that it was whether LeBron could drag the carcass of Cavs to the finals. The conference has sucked for a long time.

There is a feeling that every western conference playoff team would beat every eastern conference playoff team bar the Heat in a 7 game series. And maybe even the Suns could beat the likes of Nets and Pacers.

Its just not good TV, even if you are a Heat fan, there is not pull to see them shit on Bobcats, there is something slightly sweet seeing LeBron dominate Pierce and Garnett, but he has done that before, its like John Cena overcoming the odds again. So even if you support the top teams in the East, there is not much there to enjoy right now.

I am pretty salty about this, but its still been a great playoff season so far, but that is 99% due to the western conference, the 1% is reserved for East and those who enjoy watching Pacers flounder around

Fatalah

I doubt the ratings for Eastern conference games are all that great, the biggest story and drama is what is the wrong with Pacers, which is hardly a ratings pull "COME SEE IF THE PACERS CAN STOP SUCKING, JOIN US LIVEEE!!". Last year it was whether Rose would be back to help the Bulls and the whole playoff tree featured one significant series in Pacers - Heat. Years prior to that it was whether the Celtics still "got it". The time before that it was whether LeBron could drag the carcass of Cavs to the finals. The conference has sucked for a long time.

There is a feeling that every western conference playoff team would beat every eastern conference playoff team bar the Heat in a 7 game series. And maybe even the Suns could beat the likes of Nets and Pacers.

Its just not good TV, even if you are a Heat fan, there is not pull to see them shit on Bobcats, there is something slightly sweet seeing LeBron dominate Pierce and Garnett, but he has done that before, its like John Cena overcoming the odds again. So even if you support the top teams in the East, there is not much there to enjoy right now.

I am pretty salty about this, but its still been a great playoff season so far, but that is 99% due to the western conference, the 1% is reserved for East and those who enjoy watching Pacers flounder around

I watch for Wall (TM)

Tom Penny

You just don't appreciate and understand good Eastern Conference basketball.

I don't get the idea of giving 5 years to a guy with no coaching experience, especially after you just fired a guy who was hired with no coaching experience.

Steve Kerr has gotten too much praise from too many legends of the game to be a complete bust. Warriors have freaking Jerry West doing consulting for the them , some of you dudes think you know more crap than the logo? Heck someone just said nobody wanted him until Phil Jackson did... Think about that, Phil Jackson has more knowledge in his left nut than you do. Not to mention they are gonna get a stud assistant coach and staff around him, Kerr has legit connections.

Look at Mark Jackson, never particularly prepared, not so much a bright mind, and just overall bland besides his relationship with the players and he was able to get 50 wins out of them. On all accounts Kerr seems like a way more knowledgeable individual that can incorporate some type of strategy unlike Jackson.

Bowser

Steve Kerr has gotten too much praise from too many legends of the game to be a complete bust. Warriors have freaking Jerry West doing consulting for the them , some of you dudes think you know more crap than the logo? Heck someone just said nobody wanted him until Phil Jackson did... Think about that, Phil Jackson has more knowledge in his left nut than you do. Not to mention they are gonna get a stud assistant coach and staff around him, Kerr has legit connections.

Look at Mark Jackson, never particularly prepared, not so much a bright mind, and just overall bland besides his relationship with the players and he was able to get 50 wins out of them. On all accounts Kerr seems like a way more knowledgeable individual that can incorporate some type of strategy unlike Jackson.

I agree with this. Mark Jackson had no coaching experience when he was hired and I definitely think Kerr has a more sound knowledge base of the game considering he learned from two of the all time greats. And the Warriors have already said they'll pay top dollar to surround him with top notch assistants. Kerr will be fine.

Fjordson

Yeah, all of that is why I'm holding out hope that he'll be okay. I just was a little surprised that he seemed to be so in-demand without any experience.

And really, as long as Steph is on board with it and resigns in a few years then I dun give a phuck.

Mark Jackson would have been fine if he wasn't such a prick. Him and Mike Malone wouldn't even communicate at times and look at the crazy on goings this year. Dude wouldn't listen to anyone about actual coaching implementations. You undermine him or aren't on the same page then you're out his circle.

He called coaching his part time job, the dude was able to hold sermons after games, lol... It's ridiculous. I can almost guarantee he doesn't get a head coaching job this season, unless it's out of complete desperation.

Fjordson

Mark Jackson would have been fine if he wasn't such a prick. Him and Mike Malone wouldn't even communicate at times and look at the crazy on goings this year. Dude wouldn't listen to anyone about actual coaching implementations.

He called coaching his part time job, the dude was able to hold sermons after games, lol... It's ridiculous.
Agreed. Listening to local radio the last month or so there's been a lot of crazy shit about Jackson's time here and his relationship with the front office and other coaches.

That's what I laugh when I see comments on ESPN or twitter like "do the Warriors think they're going to go undefeated now or something?!??". It wasn't even about wins I think with Jackson, shit was just a total mess behind the scenes. And I have no clue who was truly at fault, management or Jackson, but obviously the owner isn't going to suddenly sell the team because of a coach, so it's not hard to see why fired Jackson.

Now if things break down with Kerr and he gets fired after a winning season or two then we probably have a more serious problem :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
I didn't know that they're going to pay for a solid bench as well, that puts me at ease a bit. I still think 5 years is ridiculous.

Heysoos

Do you guys see the Clipper pushing the series to a game 7? That comeback in game 5 must have been extremely demoralizing for the Clips

RELAYER

Banned
It happens so much I couldn't have told the difference.
What determines what is a foul and what isn't?

I'm not really bitching about it, I just want information that will help me follow the game better.

Jag

It happens so much I couldn't have told the difference.
What determines what is a foul and what isn't?

I'm not really bitching about it, I just want information that will help me follow the game better.

Don't worry about fouls then and just enjoy the superhuman feats of athleticism.

Thunder may be 4-0 against the Spurs this season but I think we just learned that doesn't mean shit.

Because of how they played against Portland? Ummmm, okay.

What we learned from those four straight OKC wins against the Spurs is that we match up very well with them. Leonard is the only player on the Spurs roster that can hang with the Thunder athleticism. OKC outpaces the Spurs up and down the court. Our numerous defensive options inside (Perk, Ibaka, Collison, and Adams) pose a challenge for the Spurs in the paint.

The Spurs rely almost exclusively on Tony Parker when playing the Thunder, and a combination of YNB and Sefolosha have been able to reduce his effectiveness this past season.

It's the playoffs, and we still need to close out the series against the Clippers before anything else. Having said that, I find the Spurs a far easier match up for OKC than either Memphis or the Clippers. I don't give much thought to history, but we swept them this season and the last time we met in the playoffs we beat them and their home court advantage. I think OKC is a very tough match up for the ageing Spurs.

RELAYER

Banned
Don't worry about fouls then and just enjoy the superhuman feats of athleticism.

But I explained why.

I want to know why a foul is called when it's called.

Like, what is the general principle of the game that is being violated when a foul is called?

Brashnir

But I explained why.

I want to know why a foul is called when it's called.

Like, what is the general principle of the game that is being violated when a foul is called?

There are lots of different kinds of fouls.

Here's a basic beginner's guide to basketball. Some of these concepts don't specifically apply to the NBA, but it's a pretty good general guide:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/basics/basics.html

Of course, a lot of what is and isn't appropriate is up to interpretation, and NBA referees have a long history of shitty interpretation.

RELAYER

Banned
There are lots of different kinds of fouls.

Here's a basic beginner's guide to basketball. Some of these concepts don't specifically apply to the NBA, but it's a pretty good general guide:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/basics/basics.html

Of course, a lot of what is and isn't appropriate is up to interpretation, and NBA referees have a long history of shitty interpretation.

The biggest time I see it called, (and the reason I'm bringing it up now is because a few pages back in this thread I saw it being discussed as a viable strategy for getting free throws), is when an offensive player will drive towards the basket.

From the games I've seen, this results in a foul A LOT.

I asked my friend about it, who likes basketball, and he said something about positioning.

Like, if a player is running in a straight line towards the basket. you can step in front of him, and he has to either stop or knock you over, but you can't grab him from the side or run into him.

Is that how it works?

Brashnir

The biggest time I see it called, (and the reason I'm bringing it up now is because a few pages back in this thread I saw it being discussed as a viable strategy for getting free throws), is when an offensive player will drive towards the basket.

From the games I've seen, this results in a foul A LOT.

I asked my friend about it, who likes basketball, and he said something about positioning.

Like, if a player is running in a straight line towards the basket. you can step in front of him, and he has to either stop or knock you over, but you can't grab him from the side or run into him.

Is that how it works?

More or less, yes. Grabbing any player at any time is a foul (though you'll see it go un-called off the ball a lot).

The issue of Blocking (defensive foul) and Charging (offensive foul) on a drive to the basket is one of the situations that leads to the most controversy in the sport.

By the letter of the law, if the defensive player maintains position between the offensive player and the basket, and doesn't lean, twist, stick out an arm leg or do something other than stay in position to impede the offensive player, it's a charge. Otherwise, it's a block.

Given the speed of NBA players and the sophistication of defensive rotations, it can be very difficult to call in real time. There's also the added complication of the restricted area under the basket (marked with the small half circle) inside which NO charges can happen.

In addition, there are situations where an offensive player uses his shoulder or arm to push off, turning what would otherwise be a block into an offensive foul.

It's very difficult to explain, and the only way you'll begin to get a good feel of the difference is to watch a lot of basketball.

Top Bottom