• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Miami is going to steamroll through Indiana. Pacers are inconsistent as hell and I look forward to them getting crushed.

Spurs are the only hope for making the finals competitive against Miami.
pacers play miami well and miami role players have been shit in the nets series.lets wait and see.

You get a better, and more physical game.

Seeing LeBron high-five Paul George after he made a three point shot in a PLAYOFF game is one of the sissiest things I've ever seen. How you can be in favor for that is beyond me. Aggressive series are always better series.

No. The players play extremely physical, even against friends. They just done behave like cavemen when the game is over.

Durant's MVP speech is the manliest thing to have come out of basketball in years.

Exactly. Nothing written down, straight from the heart, without Nike editing evening ahead of time for mass marketability.

Kawhi Leonard on KD. The matchup that decides the series for both teams. Kawhi needs limit KD to tough shots, I don't know if he can, from what I have seen during their regular season match ups. Not only that Kawhi gotta make KD work on D, and contribute on the offense side for the Spurs. KD has to play defense and not take positions off.

Poor Westbrook/Reggie Jackson trying to guard Tony Parker and try to get past multiple screens. YNB better not get lost like he did guarding him 2 years ago in those screens.

Should be a fun series, I think OKC can win if their supporting cast can give them some quality minutes, not asking as much as Spurs supporting cast. But still something. No James Harden this time. But Spurs still got their Sixth Man of the Year, Manu Ginobili. He will get to the heart of the OKC defense and shred it by making quality passes and tough shots like he has been doing. Going to be fun series!

It's about Stockton's dirty ways as a player. I don't know anyone that doubts his greatness, but CP3 is not nearly as dirty as he is. He couldn't match it if he tried every game from here on out for his career.

Sorry, wasn't following the conversation clearly.

Clippers need a starting SG they can afford to keep on the floor vs. star swingmen. Reddick is nice but he is not a starting SG in the West. Barnes isn't a starter either but at least he can play D

Reddick is fine as a starting 2. Gives you solid D and elite shooting. Westbrook and Durant are arguably the two most talented players in the league, they're going to give fits no matter what.

What Clips need to do is just keep the core together. Experience is the reason why they lost this series. This is a championship caliber roster that needs time to grow. Blake and DJ's improvement was a big reason why they got better this year. With more time under Doc I would be shocked if they didn't win a title in the next 4 years, everything else is there.

But Sterling will drag out the sale in court, Doc and the players will leave and clip fans will wonder what if while being back in the lottery

Cloudy

Banned
Reddick is fine as a starting 2. Gives you solid D and elite shooting

No he isn't. The reason a bum like Barnes is given a green light is because you can't play JJ 40 mins vs. a team with 2 elite perimeter scorers

Shun

Durant's MVP speech is the manliest thing to have come out of basketball in years.

Truth. I respect KD and that speech was beautiful. Too bad he ain't gonna win a ring. MVP doesn't mean Title. Durant will get one, just not this year and maybe with Scott Brooks gone.

Kawhi Leonard's been getting better and better each season and if anything he can effectively shut down or at least slow down offensive threats. He contains Lebron and with how inconsistent Durant's been with FG's, Durant's also effectively slowed down and will miss shots. He does all this without being in foul trouble either.

Parker suffered a similar injury that was more severe last post season and still played through with it pushing Miami to 7 games and almost winning the series.

I can't speak for Ibaka but Parker can definitely play through it, especially if the bench and supporting cast remain productive and continue their defensive play.

You'd think a calf injury would bother one much more than a hamstring one.

Athleticism isn't gonna guarantee the Thunder anything and it's not gonna mean shit if they continue to miss shots in the paint and turn the ball over. Alongside the heavy minutes, the explosive play, and the back to back 6+ game series they've played, the Thunder are more likely to gas out or become susceptible to injury.

another Spurs/Heat Finals?

the-room-tv-throw-o.gif

We got the goat gif out of it last time though.

iboOF4ZnvccOk8.gif

Jonm1010

Banned
To Glorified G

IMO you can't run a team with a pass first PG and give him no consistent shooters come playoff time. The Clippers need their Peja Stojakovic and JJ and Barnes isn't that.

JJ is a big contract that didn't deliver when it mattered the most. Hes the 4th highest paid player and he played like filler most of the payoffs.

This is an entirely different series if the Clippers had a player who could hit the open looks that CP3 was getting people.

KD scored 24, 17, 36, and 28 against the Spurs. He shot well in every one of those games.

I don't think Leonard will be a tougher matchup than Tony Allen was.

Kogepan

To Glorified G

IMO you can't run a team with a pass first PG and give him no consistent shooters come playoff time. The Clippers need their Peja Stojakovic and JJ and Barnes isn't that.

JJ is a big contract that didn't deliver when it mattered the most. Hes the 4th highest paid player and he played like filler most of the payoffs.

This is an entirely different series if the Clippers had a player who could hit the open looks that CP3 was getting people.

Doc River's fault for trading Bledsoe for JJ/Dudley. Basically gave him away for nothing.

Jonm1010

Banned
Clipps need Melo.

Not sure if your serious or not but CP3 may be the only player in the league that could make Melo a net positive for a team.

EDIT: Never looked at it but the numbers actually work if Melo opts in and then wants to go to the Clippers in 2015 when he hits FA.

To Glorified G

I just see that they got beaten by a more battled tested and experienced team that has stayed together longer. You saw flashes of brilliance by JJ and Collison (game 1 and game 5) but also inconsistencies. I'm not saying it is imperative that JJ needs to stay in order for the Clippers to be competitive just that it isn't vital to move him right now. At best they need some incremental improvements right now, particularly from the bench (Jared Dudley has played poorly for example) and just watch and see if there is growth.

Jonm1010

Banned
I just see that they got beaten by a more battled tested and experienced team that has stayed together longer. You saw flashes of brilliance by JJ and Collison (game 1 and game 5) but also inconsistencies. I'm not saying it is imperative that JJ needs to stay in order for the Clippers to be competitive just that it isn't vital to move him right now. At best they need some incremental improvements right now, particularly from the bench (Jared Dudley has played poorly for example) and just watch and see if there is growth.

Well now that I looked at the salaries more in depth I kind of agree.

The clippers aren't going anywhere next year but if they play it smart and don't panic and overpay this offseason they can make a big play in 2015 if they're smart and a little lucky.

Theoretically they could grab Melo on a nice contract offer(if he doesn't bail) and create a lineup of CP3, Reddick, Melo, and Griffin. Then they can fill the center position with a discount rate Jordan or grab a guy like Asik, Chandler or Robin Lopez. A lineup like that could be ridiculous.

Fjordson

KD scored 24, 17, 36, and 28 against the Spurs. He shot well in every one of those games.

I think it could be. Leonard is taller and has way more reach than Allen (his wingspan is like 7-3). And Allen isn't really all that smart of a player. Hustles like crazy, but it's misplaced at times. And Kawhi is playing better lately than he did in the regular season.

That being said, I still expect Durant to average 26-30 ppg.

Into

Its true that Miami's roleplayers and bench players have not done much so far, but then again they havent had to do anything. You know Ray will have one monster game against Indy, you know Cole and Chalmers will perform better at least in a game or two, you know Andersen will do his. Bosh is also bound to have a good game or two

If anything works in Indy's favor other than the home court advantage, is that the months old pressure is finally off them. They won their conference regular season and got to the finals, losing to the Heat is not a shock. What looked like a disastrous season just 2-3 weeks ago, where Vogel might get fired, Hibbert being shit on, George showing his body to some "girl", Stevenson being crazier than usual, Turner fighting with Stevenson (allegedly) was all put behind when a far bigger controversy with Sterling came out.

Pressure is off Indy, the Heat are expected to not just advance but probably win the whole thing. So who knows, Heat are still favorites, but the situation is different now for Indiana

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so Spurs vs Okc and Pacers vs Heat in the conference finals..... no real surprise there.

What we're the official vegas odds for these 4 teams making it to the finals at the beginning of the season?

KD will get his scores, but he will have to work for it. The Spurs will do what they did to Aldridge, rotating defenders on the biggest threat. In this case it will be combination of Kawhi, Danny Green and Diaw. I think Pop can live with KD scores 30-40 every night from well-contested shots. It's better than allowing the Thunders to move the ball and get open looks.

andthebeatgoeson

Its true that Miami's roleplayers and bench players have not done much so far, but then again they havent had to do anything. You know Ray will have one monster game against Indy, you know Cole and Chalmers will perform better at least in a game or two, you know Andersen will do his. Bosh is also bound to have a good game or two

If anything works in Indy's favor other than the home court advantage, is that the months old pressure is finally off them. They won their conference regular season and got to the finals, losing to the Heat is not a shock. What looked like a disastrous season just 2-3 weeks ago, where Vogel might get fired, Hibbert being shit on, George showing his body to some "girl", Stevenson being crazier than usual, Turner fighting with Stevenson (allegedly) was all put behind when a far bigger controversy with Sterling came out.

Pressure is off Indy, the Heat are expected to not just advance but probably win the whole thing. So who knows, Heat are still favorites, but the situation is different now for Indiana
And it probably still cones down to lebron taking over 1-2 games and doing super human feats.

WoodWERD

Oy I fear OKC but knew it was inevitable. Durant will light Spurs up like usual, but I think they'll do a better job of containing the rest of the supporting cast. I couldn't watch much regular season this year so I don't know how much the sweep really says. OKC has had their number for a while but I think Splitter and Diaw have done pretty well frustrating shots in the paint in the playoffs. Parker will be key of course and Duncan will get his. Mills has been playing well so I expect him to get more minutes if Parker is lagging. I think for the Spurs to win the bench is going to have to come up big and transition D will have to be air tight. Pulling for Spurs in 6.

As for MIA/IND, who knows. IND seems to have pulled their heads out of their asses but we'll see which team shows up the first 2 games. I'd love to see MIA lose although I think they'll take it in 7. Hoping for an exhausting battle either way.

Zach

I love how when I checked this thread last night there were comments like "this game is already over!", etc. I'm sure these are the same folks that say with conviction that this team or that team will win in five because reasons. And then when it doesn't happen they either disappear or complain about refereeing or tell us how so-and-so doesn't play basketball the "right" way and imply that he and his team aren't deserving and will be crushed in the next series, once again with unwavering conviction.

Hey, that guy, shut up and enjoy you some basketball. You don't need to continually attempt to have "I told you so" moments. No one will ever be impressed.

effzee

I love how when I checked this thread last night there were comments like "this game is already over!", etc. I'm sure these are the same folks that say with conviction that this team or that team will win in five because reasons. And then when it doesn't happen they either disappear or complain about refereeing or tell us how so-and-so doesn't play basketball the "right" way and imply that he and his team aren't deserving and will be crushed in the next series, once again with unwavering conviction.

Hey, that guy, shut up and enjoy you some basketball. You don't need to continually attempt to have "I told you so" moments. No one will ever be impressed.

These NBA threads are 90% bitching about the refs. All superstars get calls, players flop, and refs miss call. But you will get people to get over it or let go of their conspiracy theories.

Anyone remember this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_R1B_k140

What an amazing finish. Man, I miss Kobe so much. So refreshing to see a star closing the game with actual shots not FT fuckery lol

PS: Poor Deron. That series was a sweep but Jazz could easily have won it

Yeah Kobe never got a parade to the FT line in the 4th quarter to close out games.

effzee

Looking ahead this is going to be an amazing round of conference finals. The 4 best teams record wise (1v2) and both very fun matchups.

As bad as the Pacers have looked they seem to only care about beating Miami. They play lights out against them. Miami is going to have to bring their A game plus more to beat them.

I think OKC is going to win against SA but with the Spurs you just never know.

Would love Miami V OKC finals.

Looking ahead this is going to be an amazing round of conference finals. The 4 best teams record wise (1v2) and both very fun matchups.

As bad as the Pacers have looked they seem to only care about beating Miami. They play lights out against them. Miami is going to have to bring their A game plus more to beat them.

I think OKC is going to win against SA but with the Spurs you just never know.

Would love Miami V OKC finals.

The sequel Tm.

Indiana is going to be a difficult test for Miami.

Top Bottom