• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

is it wrong I think they are going to coast to a championship by the time whomever is in the ECF limps away from that series....
It's possible. Ironically, most people were thinking Miami were the ones who were going to coast to the Finals well rested, while whoever came out of the West were gonna be beaten and battered by the time they got there. Nothing is guaranteed, but I just feel like there's no way Timmy won't get #5 barring injuries. They're just playing so much better than the other 3 teams left.

Ambient80

not a chance.

That's what I was thinking, but the Pacers have already shown they didn't follow concussion protocol during the game (take the player to a quiet area off the court to assess, etc. which they did not do). I just wonder if the NBA is gonna be a little more strict about it now. I want George to play, even as a Lebron fan, but the doctor side of me wants him to be healthy and take care of himself, too. Of course, some folks doubted he had a concussion anyway, so I guess we'll just see.

I told everyone the Dallas series was going to be a blood match because the in-state rivalry just brings out the best in both teams, so I wasn't surprised the series was pushed to 7. If anything, the sense of immediacy helped San Antonio to focus.

Tom Penny

Durant had 15? How?

1.JPG

Sorry this isn't just because of ibaka and I think too many are just using that as the easy explanation. This is exposing the gap in coaching. If you look at the team makeup of Dallas versus OKC without serge, it's no contest OKC is the better team. And yet the Dallas team that struggled to defend all year is the only team these playoffs that's kept the spurs in check. Except for game 7

WoodWERD

Spurs aren't very happy. They know they need to go for the throat now. The rest might help them.

And they won't be until they're on the podium. I'm sure being up on OKC 2-0 before is burned into their heads, but it's a different story this time around. I'll feel much better if Spurs take game 3. And hellz yeah @ that graphic ^

Kanguro

Neo Member
Gif of the year

God I miss the laughing smiley.

I don't think anyone is stopping the spurs this year, but I'm dead certain the Pacers won't. Whatever matchup advantages they have that might give them the series over Miami their fuckball will get swept in the finals.

So, as a fan of basketball, gotta root for Spurs-Heat... at least that will be a series.

MVP

Banned
No one will argue this.

No one that doesn't follow basketball much, no. Most people knowledgeable about the game still pick the Heat over the Spurs. The Spurs looking good against the Thunder is a given, the Heat look great against them too, and without Ibaka if the Spurs lose even one game it'll be a surprise.

Miami is not OKC. You can ask the Spurs.

No one that doesn't follow basketball much, no. Most people knowledgeable about the game still pick the Heat over the Spurs. The Spurs looking good against the Thunder is a given, the Heat look great against them too, and without Ibaka if the Spurs lose even one game it'll be a surprise.

Are we really getting into the I know more about basketball than you game? What kind of argument is that? The best team in basketball right now is the Spurs.

MVP

Banned
Are we really getting into the I know more about basketball than you game? What kind of argument is that? The best team in basketball right now is the Spurs.

And I'm disputing that. Yes, they look impressive against the Thunder, but they're supposed to. Without a presence in the middle, the Spurs shouldn't lose a single game. Would we be impressed if the Heat swept the Pacers if David West and Hibbert didn't play, and the lane was open all night long, every game? Of course not, the Spurs are doing what they're supposed to do against an Ibaka-less Thunder team, but OKC is not the Heat. The Heat match up very well with the Spurs if you go down the line.

EDIT: And I wasn't talking about your knowledge in specific, just from experience most people who don't really understand the game or sports in general put too much emphasis on the performance of a team against one opponent, and assume it will translate into a similar performance against a different team with a different playing style. Pretty much the same way the Pacers look like shit against some other teams but look like world-beaters against Miami.

Cloudy

Banned
I went back to watch clips of the last 4 games in the 2012 OKC/SA series and the Thunder's spacing and ball movement was just so much better. Harden handled the ball a lot and he hit so many big shots. Oh and Thabo actually made shots!

However, I'd forgotten the Spurs had like a 20pt lead in the 3rd qtr of gm6 and blew it. Refs did them no favors down the stretch but they should have taken that series to a gm7 at home.

And I'm disputing that. Yes, they look impressive against the Thunder, but they're supposed to. Without a presence in the middle, the Spurs shouldn't lose a single game. Would we be impressed if the Heat swept the Pacers if David West and Hibbert didn't play, and the lane was open all night long, every game? Of course not, the Spurs are doing what they're supposed to do against an Ibaka-less Thunder team, but OKC is not the Heat. The Heat match up very well with the Spurs if you go down the line.

EDIT: And I wasn't talking about your knowledge in specific, just from experience most people who don't really understand the game or sports in general put too much emphasis on the performance of a team against one opponent, and assume it will translate into a similar performance against a different team with a different playing style. Pretty much the same way the Pacers look like shit against some other teams but look like world-beaters against Miami.

What makes you think I'm basing my statements on what they're doing against the Thunder?

spurs looked unbeatable last year too. before facing off against miami.
sweeping both lakers and grizz.

heat does matchup well with spurs. and outside of the pacers. they play the best defense in the league.

this year is slightly different. though. spurs has homecourt. players are back. battle hardened. and probably hungry as ever now that they are so close to the finals. which may be the edge needed over the heat.

still not going to be a guaranteed win like some on here seem to believe.
heat-spurs going 6 games at least.

Blablurn

Spurs vs Heat would be a great final. So much story and drama behind it after last years match up. Spurs vs Indiana wouldn't entertain many I guess.

As a heat fan, I want no fucking part of the Spurs. they have timmy on the inside, they have solid 3 point threats, and they actually have a real point guard. Last year, we were a miraculous Ray Allen 3 pointer away from losing our second finals in 3 years against these guys. I'm still legit shook from that series.

I don't think anyone is stopping the spurs this year, but I'm dead certain the Pacers won't. Whatever matchup advantages they have that might give them the series over Miami their fuckball will get swept in the finals.

So, as a fan of basketball, gotta root for Spurs-Heat... at least that will be a series.

As a fan of as much aggravating 2010-esque offseason bullshit as possible, gotta root for Spurs-Pacers.

Vestal

As a heat fan, I want no fucking part of the Spurs. they have timmy on the inside, they have solid 3 point threats, and they actually have a real point guard. Last year, we were a miraculous Ray Allen 3 pointer away from losing our second finals in 3 years against these guys. I'm still legit shook from that series.

I'm opposite I want the best vs the best. Heat vs Spurs would be a lot of fun to watch and once again I believe the heats defense will make the difference.

Top Bottom