• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Bowser

Wrap it up, OKC

paMGluS.gif

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 59s

Espn has learned that experts had declared Donald Sterling mentally incapacitated, leaving Shelly as sole trustee & power to sell the team]
460px-Tumblr_lu5ozjSdKs1qb6wmjo1_500.gif

all according to keikaku.

defense is still suspect. but good shit spurs. now close this shit out in okc to see what you're really made of.

HiResDes

Ibaka is such a non factor in the playoffs, like his rating in 2k should dip 20 points in the playoffs. The whole Thunder bench should be damn ashamed of themselves.

Meanwhile the Pacers play at full throttle and get a bunch of calls to go their way and still barely come away with the win. I hate Miami, but let's be real we're all just waiting for the inevitable seven game series versus the most obvious two best teams in the league. I think I'm done watching until then.

J2 Cool

The only consistent thing about this round of the playoffs is that the Pacers are clowns. Otherwise every other game end in hyperbole -- "Spurs sweep" "2012 wcf repeat" "Ibaka is heart of the Thunder" "Lebron passes Jordan" "Westbrook 2nd or 3rd best player in the league" etc etc.

Still waiting for a classc game in WCF. Thought it would be tonight. I need to see SA pull out a close one before I can believe in them but they're potentially a better team than last year with Manu/Splitter in better form, Bellinelli. Thunder I just dont like their supporting cast, so wouldn't be opposed to a Spurs blowout and wrap it up but not counting on it.

If Kevin Durant doesn't make it to the Finals this year, when will people start questioning his ability to lead a team to a championship. This is all ready his seventh year and the only finals appearance was a huge loss to the Heat. Maybe its just me but it seems like the media isn't as hard on him as they were on Lebron James in the same point of their careers. When will Durant start feeling the heat from the media?

One difference between 2012 and 2014 is Splitter can make free throws now so no more hacking him to the foul line. People forget the Spurs offense was a thing of beauty against OKC in that series until they started fouling Splitter and it wrecked the flow.

One difference between 2012 and 2014 is Splitter can make free throws now so no more hacking him to the foul line. People forget the Spurs offense was a thing of beauty against OKC in that series until they started fouling Splitter and it wrecked the flow.
I haven't forgotten about Hack-A-Splitter. Started towards the end of Game 2 in that series and just continued on from there. Feel like the whole team has improved on their FT shooting.

Emwitus

If Kevin Durant doesn't make it to the Finals this year, when will people start questioning his ability to lead a team to a championship. This is all ready his seventh year and the only finals appearance was a huge loss to the Heat. Maybe its just me but it seems like the media isn't as hard on him as they were on Lebron James in the same point of their careers. When will Durant start feeling the heat from the media?
His in the west

Jonm1010

Banned

Frankly I just wish the media and people in general would stop putting unrealistic expectations on individual players.

Theres a lot of other factors that come into play when making a championship run IMO. I.E. another superstar(s), a weaker conference, good coaching, team chemistry, playoffs seeding, playoffs matchups, health, deep bench, good role players etc.

IMO a superstar will make you into a borderline contender but you need some, if not most of the above if you want to get over the hump. Lebron needed it, Kobe needed it, Jordan needed it, Nowitzki needed it, Garnett needed it, Robinson needed it, Durant needs it.

Kanguro

Neo Member
So is Joey Crawford showing up to fix things tonight? Or is he being saved for Game 7?

Joey Crawford's going to fix the Pacer's lack of a ball handler? Hibbert's complete lack of motivation? Vogel's incompetence? PG's streaky shooting? Lance's whatever the fuck is wrong with him? The entire team's mental weakness?

What exactly do you want Joey to fix?

HiResDes

Not only is Durant playing in the West, but he hasn't abandoned his team to join up with the other greats of his era and bogart his way to a title like LeBron.

J2 Cool

Does anyone know why Bill Simmons hasn't released a podcast in 20 days and comes back with a 3-parter about the Clippers purchase, in the midst of the Conference finals? Talk about rich guy interests. WHO givies a shit? You would think talking about how the Spurs and Thunder match up against the Heat and what each would have to do to win the series would be more interesting..

PBY

Banned
Not only is Durant playing in the West, but he hasn't abandoned his team to join up with the other greats of his era and bogart his way to a title like LeBron.

Well.. he already has Ibaka and Russel... so its not the same.

The better commentary is to ask why the media gets on individuals for not achieving things that are in many ways out of their control.

J2 Cool

Well.. he already has Ibaka and Russel... so its not the same.

The better commentary is to ask why the media gets on individuals for not achieving things that are in many ways out of their control.

LeBron has the Jordan expectations, so we hoped to see him lead a team to Finals or go down with the ship fighting and then it became psychoanalyzing if he's doing it. Also they were a 1 seed and he was the best player in 2010. I think everyone realizes now it was ridiculous they were a 1 seed. After that it was Miami, "5 6 7" and all the weapons so it was suddenly "whats your excuse"

Durants team isnt even favored in his series. But more than that he's had nothing but good press and is likable, humble. Nothing to bring a glaring eye to his play.

I think talk has quietly started because Wesbrook at times has been their best player or leader but Durant has always dismissed the "this is my team" talk and closely tied himself to the teams success. He's not been seen wearing a "check my $tats" t-shirt.

Still theres moments you judge a player on but blown out by a better team isnt one of them. Durants more disappointed me with bad decision making and uncreative basketball moves in crunch time these playoffs and ones before. His most "reliable" move in a final minute is still to chuck a 3 ball from feet beyond the line. Which when down 6 and given free pass impresses espn & everyone but you dont normally win games like that.

Cipherr

No, Durant could shit the bed in the next game and get sent home again, and OKC will cheer for them and prepare for next season, the media will let it go instantly and they will probably continue to for the remainder of his career. Durant isn't James and won't ever be held to the standard James is, end of story.

Very few people in the NBA have been held to a standard that high.

Everyone has a bunch of 'reasons' why. But they are all bullshit. Everyone just knows that James is more likely to have a shot at being as great as Jordan. Durants likelihood of achieving that is lower.

No, Durant could shit the bed in the next game and get sent home again, and OKC will cheer for them and prepare for next season, the media will let it go instantly and they will probably continue to for the remainder of his career. Durant isn't James and won't ever be held to the standard James is, end of story.

Very few people in the NBA have been held to a standard that high.

Everyone has a bunch of 'reasons' why. But they are all bullshit. Everyone just knows that James is more likely to have a shot at being as great as Jordan. Durants likelihood of achieving that is lower.

So where will KD be? In between lebron and Melo?

effzee

Why would he abandon a team as loaded as OKC again? And they also used to have Harden. Not the same situation at all. And let's see what he does if they get eliminated and he has a chance to hit FA. Tons of rumors that he might want to leave.

Again Lebron isn't the first player to take matters into his own hands. Players use FA largely for more money. Lebron used it for rings. Players force trades all the time too why not get on them ? Would people be as mad if Riley orchestrated trades to land Bosh and Lebron? Would that be ok?

Because the Heat would have lost 2 games in a row and game 7 is in indiana. They already alluded to how bad the situation would be when I was watching today.

ESPN would love nothing more than a game 7. It would be on their network and they can spend another 2-3 day talking about Lebron, his legacy, and comparisons to Kobe or Jordan.

Why would he abandon a team as loaded as OKC again? And they also used to have Harden. Not the same situation at all. And let's see what he does if they get eliminated and he has a chance to hit FA. Tons of rumors that he might want to leave.

Again Lebron isn't the first player to take matters into his own hands. Players use FA largely for more money. Lebron used it for rings. Players force trades all the time too why not get on them ? Would people be as mad if Riley orchestrated trades to land Bosh and Lebron? Would that be ok?

ESPN would love nothing more than a hame 7. It would be on their network and they can spend another 2-3 day lysine talking about Lebron, his legacy, and comparisons to Kobe or Jordan.

okc is not loaded at all.

effzee

okc is not loaded at all.

When they had Harden and their starting 4 was with Harden and ibaka yes they were.

Even now Durant plays with a top 10 player in the league. He has no need to leave. Plus it's not like LeBron left after his rookie season. Played 7 seasons in Cleveland. No one wants to stay in Cleveland.

lil smoke

Banned
When they had Harden and their starting 4 was with Harden and I aka yes they were.

Even now Durant plays with a top 10 player in the league. He has no need to leave. Plus it's not like LeBron left after his rookie season. Played 7 seasons in Cleveland. No one wants to stay in Cleveland.

Yeah it's kinda not fair to criticize OKC, I know I keep comparing them to the team that had Harden and a real chance to win, and for KD to rise. I don't know what they are now.

Harden is quickly becoming another guy that can just put up points.

Top Bottom