• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs: A thread full of jerk 'yoffs

Quick

Banned
So what is the rule about dropped sticks? You can't pick them up until the next play stoppage?

Five things can happen: the player picks it back up, skates to the bench to get a new stick, a teammate gives the player a stick (usually when the defenceman loses it in the defensive zone), switches with another player on the bench (coinciding with a line change), or plays without a stick.

Tsundere

Banned
lightning-banquise.jpg

Victor Hedman, Ryan Callahan, and Tom Pyatt go for a post-party snack at "La Banquise" in Montreal...

http://25stanley.com/after-party-du-lightning-de-tampa-bay-a-la-banquise-de-montreal.html

Rough translation:
What do you do when you're a Lightning player and you want to digest four straight losses? You buy a big poutine from La Banquise at 3:15 in the morning!

After the game on Tuesday night, Douglas Murray, Brandon Prust, and David Desharnais went to celebrate at "L'Ecurie" bar on Rachel street in Montreal. Our Habs chilled there for the majority of the night. Around 2:30am, defenceman PK Subban came to meet up with his team mates.

When the bar closed, our guys headed towards La Banquise to savour the victory. Surprise! Ryan Callahan, Victor Hedman, and Tom Pyatt of the Tampa Bay Lightning were in line to order themselves a midnight snack to accompany their coffee. It was pretty funny to see both players from the Lightning and the Habs at the same place. David Desharnais was a good guy and went to them and said "What's up" to the Lightning players.

A client there called out (in French): "If you've ever asked yourselves, what does the face of a loser look like? Just look here" while pointing towards the Tampa Bay players. People in the restaurant started to laugh. Always more funny to poke fun at the defeated than to riot.

Alright guys, don't know what to think of tonight

Teemu Selanne is a HEALTHY SCRATCH tonight. (hasn't happened since 2004)

Emerson Etem is IN.

Frederik Andersen will be the starter again.

I hope Selanne uses the time to rest up and comes back better for the next game.

Dallas to go with Kari Lehtonen instead of the patriot, Tim Thomas.

Anaheim probably wants someone a bit more physical. Tonight's game is going to be good.

Likewise, Erik Cole is scratched again (healthy)

The coaches must have hated that terrible turnover in game 2. Haha

Giggzy

Teemu is too old to play these many games in this short amount of time. We also need more speed on the transition and forecheck so Etem coming in is a good move.

I hope we absolutely bury these fuckheads tonight. Someone needs to lay garbutt the fuck out.

Boo.

Boo on no Thomas.

Respeck your elders kids.

We have Whitney and Gonchar filling that role for now.

Teemu is too old to play these many games in this short amount of time. We also need more speed on the transition and forecheck so Etem coming in is a good move.

I hope we absolutely bury these fuckheads tonight. Someone needs to lay garbutt the fuck out.

You sound as stupid as the HFBoards Duck community.

Agreed! Hoping Etem comes out like gangbusters, such speed. Much wow. Probably get some penalty killing time, fight Dallas' speed with our speed.

Kinda wish we still had Penner around to be a physical presence. Of course, Garbutt will warm up his elbow again to dish out another concussion to Penner.
http://youtu.be/WnVHnfYSCbs

What the fuck am I reading..

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/256278151.html
If hockey were real estate, you could say that last summer the Wild went searching for a house, something more sturdy than flashy, built more for day-to-day living than curb appeal.

If hockey were real estate, you could say that Matt Cooke was that house, a modest stone building featuring a freshly sodded lawn and a new, whitewashed, picket fence.

Here’s the problem: If Matt Cooke were a house, his basement would be filled with mold. Not hidden in the walls. Creeping up the stairs.

I guess Minnesota legalized weed when no one was looking.

Neither Keith nor Backes took the morning skate today, but Q confirmed Keith will play. Nothing yet from Hitch on Backes (doubt he says anything and we won't know until pre-game warmups).

Pivotal game of the series no doubt.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No supplemental discipline for Matt Read's drive-by shoulder to the head on Carcillo, predictably, because it's not an illegal headshot in this league unless someone is horribly horribly injured first. Because that's how you prevent injuries.

I'd be mad if I expected anything different.

zroid

Banned
I've regressed into eating piles of Greek yogurt and staring into a blank workbook for most of the morning.

This is what it feels like....when doves cry

Think of it this way. The odds of you guys coming back and winning the series are the same as SJ winning the last three and the next one. If they can do it, so can you, right???

No supplemental discipline for Matt Read's drive-by shoulder to the head on Carcillo, predictably, because it's not an illegal headshot in this league unless someone is horribly horribly injured first. Because that's how you prevent injuries.

I'd be mad if I expected anything different.

Eh... I'm sure it being Carcillo has a lot to do with it. I really doubt they care.

Heretic

Hype me up, man!!! We got this!!!

DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!

Really wondering why Selänne has been so much worse this year than last year or year before it. Otherwise I would just say that it's age finally taking its toll (it's still of course factor with each passing year) but he had fantastic Olympics. Boudreau not suitable coach for him? No suitable linemates?

Giggzy

Hype me up, man!!! We got this!!!

DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!

TONIGHT WE JUST DON'T FLY TOGETHER. TONIGHT WE FLY FOR ROBIDOUCHE.

TONIGHT COREY PERRY TEACHES GARBUTT, ROUSELL, AND DALEY WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A GOOD GUY, BECAUSE YOU KNOW, HE'S A REALLY GOOD GUY.

VIVA COREY PERRY
VIVA COREY PERRY
FLAPPING DOWN THE WING
HEAR THE DUCKS FANS SING
VIVA COREY PERRY
VIVA COREY PERRY

Really wondering why Selänne has been so much worse this year than last year or year before it. Otherwise I would just say that it's age finally taking its toll but he had fantastic Olympics. Boudreau not suitable coach for him? No suitable linemates?

He was only good the beginning of last year. He got most of his scoring in a handful of games and the rest of the time he comes 'close' or gets some assists. His hands aren't as good as they used to be.

This year he had MP22 and Silfverberg as line area and both of them have been in and out of the lineup with injuries. They tried Getzlaf and Perry with Selanne but they don't work well together most of the time except on power plays. Not really sure what Boudreau could really do with the lineup as configured

Selanne did well in the Olympics because the defense isn't as tough and he's got more space to work with. I'm hoping he can summon his Olympic mojo in these playoffs.

He was only good the beginning of last year. He got most of his scoring in a handful of games and the rest of the time he comes 'close' or gets some assists. His hands aren't as good as they used to be.

This year he had MP22 and Silfverberg as line area and both of them have been in and out of the lineup with injuries. They tried Getzlaf and Perry with Selanne but they don't work well together most of the time except on power plays. Not really sure what Boudreau could really do with the lineup as configured

Selanne did well in the Olympics because the defense isn't as tough and he's got more space to work with. I'm hoping he can summon his Olympic mojo in these playoffs.

Thanks for explanation. Let's hope he summons last bits of strenght from that old body of his for remaining time of playoffs. But yeah this year is starting to look like good year to retire. Not completely useless but age is really starting to show. Of course still sad to see legend go.

Sanjuro

No it didn't...you'll believe anything Cyrano de Marchand will tell you!

Like expected, that is all Felger is talking about today on the radio. Comparing him to the "greasy Hab players".

Fact of the matter is he didn't have to sell it either way! He still didn't look good going down.

Asked if Backes would play tonight, Hitchcock reiterated: "He wasn't available for the pre-game skate."
But Hitchcock did say not to take the lineup that was on the ice this morning to the bank.
"On this one, I could probably be a liar," Hitchcock said. "I wouldn't evaluate our roster right now, until you see it tonight. Just be careful. Put it in pencil today, not pen. I might be fooling with y'all today."
Hitchcock even joked that Backes could be practicing elsewhere, not at the United Center.
"You never know, he could be skating at another rink," Hitchcock said. "You don't know that stuff. There's a lot of rinks here in Chicago. So he could be doing other things. But he's not going in the lineup unless he's a player.
"If he's a player, the way he plays is going to have a huge impact in the series. So if he skated somewhere else and is in fine-tune conditioning, you'll see him tonight."

Fuckin' Hitch.

I think Backes is in.

kingslunk

YEAH LETS HURT EACH OTHER IN PLAYOFF HOCKEY YEAH REAL COOL YEAH GOOD GUYS.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks 10m

Playoff Hits Entering Wed.
SJS/LAK: 312
CBJ/PIT: 251
MTL/TBL (4 games): 236
PHI/NYR: 210
COL/MIN: 189
ANA/DAL: 187
STL/CHI: 181
BOS/DET: 179

San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks 10m

Playoff Hits Entering Wed.
SJS/LAK: 312
CBJ/PIT: 251
MTL/TBL (4 games): 236
PHI/NYR: 210
COL/MIN: 189
ANA/DAL: 187
STL/CHI: 181
BOS/DET: 179

We clearly don't hate the Red Wings enough. We need to make Brendan Smith angry more.

Top Bottom