• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs: A thread full of jerk 'yoffs

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BmM3HWoCcAAa9BV.png

Sanjuro

Reviews for what kind of stuff? Penalties or shit like offside plays?

I don't know, but after seeing what it's done to baseball, football, lesser degree basketball, I have very little interest and faith at them implementing anything that works. Maybe have it active during the pre-season? Still, the sample size there is going to be small.

The one thing I will say out of all the major sports is that hockey refs do the least dick measuring.

Velcro Fly

They definitely missed at least a call and probably two. My gut feeling live was that should have been a penalty and he was offsides.

I don't know, but after seeing what it's done to baseball, football, lesser degree basketball, I have very little interest and faith at them implementing anything that works. Maybe have it active during the pre-season? Still, the sample size there is going to be small.

The one thing I will say out of all the major sports is that hockey refs do the least dick measuring.

Slowing down an already slow sport is different than delaying a sport like hockey for a minute or two to make sure a team isn't fucked over by a bad call.

Dunno how it's affected basketball, but it doesn't bother me in football and baseball is slowing down slow like I said.

Socreges

Banned
I'm all for expanded replays
I don't see how it would slow the game down that much
It literally stops the game until the play is resolved. How do you figure it wouldn't slow the game down? Consider video review after disputed goal calls and how long those take. Now extrapolate that to other elements of the game that can be reviewed (whatever they decide is in scope).

Roflobear

Needs to be a tradeoff of some kind though if more plays become reviewable. Just so there's no abuse, and so every play isn't being reviewed all game long.

It could be done the same way the NFL does it. A limited number of challenges the coaches could use

It was offside though. If Stastny's skate was on the ice in the same spot it wouldn't have been. Need to have the skate on the ice.

Oh I thought it was just the position that determined it.

Sanjuro

See, shit like this is so close it's understandable that a ref would miss it. Coaches should be able to challenge that.

How? When?

The next stoppage in play may be minutes or a goal away.

Slowing down an already slow sport is different than delaying a sport like hockey for a minute or two to make sure a team isn't fucked over by a bad call.

Dunno how it's affected basketball, but it doesn't bother me in football and baseball is slowing down slow like I said.

Baseball is the primary one right now for me. They literally destroyed much of this season already, but again the refs/umps are a different breed.

Red_Man

Offside call I can understand going either way, but I don't know how they let that blatant holding go in the offensive zone.

I bet the NHL doesn't want further review on goals, scoring is down in the league, they probably don't want to make it any worse.
Not sure if serious. "Scoring's low, so lets just let guys do whatever to get that goal quota up." It needs to be implemented, and soon. Too many botched calls during important games. Some sort of coaches challenge needs to be implemented as well.

Samyy

It literally stops the game until the play is resolved. How do you figure it wouldn't slow the game down? Consider video review after disputed goal calls and how long those take. Now extrapolate that to other elements of the game that can be reviewed (whatever they decide is in scope).

Sorry, I should have stated it was talking about it in the context of the TSN discussion, with a challenge available - maybe one a game. At that point I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Offside call I can understand going either way, but I don't know how they let that blatant holding go in the offensive zone.

Not sure if serious. "Scoring's low, so lets just let guys do whatever to get that goal quota up." It needs to be implemented, and soon. Too many botched calls during important games.

I am serious, though I wouldn't agree with the reason, but the NHL can do silly things.

Not sure if serious. "Scoring's low, so lets just let guys do whatever to get that goal quota up." It needs to be implemented, and soon. Too many botched calls during important games.

Given how intentional injuries are changing entire series and everyone seems to get off with a slap on the wrist who fucking knows what the league cares about. Integrity of the game? I don't find that easy to believe.

Red_Man

Given how intentional injuries are changing entire series and everyone seems to get off with a slap on the wrist who fucking knows what the league cares about. Integrity of the game? I don't find that easy to believe.
This isn't new, this has been going on forever, and it's on the NHLPA to change things. They don't want their guys getting long suspensions.

Socreges

Banned
Sorry, I should have stated it was talking about it in the context of the TSN discussion, with a challenge available - maybe one a game. At that point I don't think it would make much of a difference.
Agreed. If there are penalties for being wrong, it wouldn't be abused. Ideally you've got teams watching replays instantly and informing their coaches down at the bench to call for a challenge. That would the vast majority of the time the challenge would be correct and the time wasted would be worthwhile.

Mii

Banned
Please take me to this world where bad calls by refs are fun.

You get to remember that moment that it burned you for years, and you also get to revel in those moments where your team gets a break for it. Over time it all evens out fine.

Its better than getting into a mess with challenges and long reviews of tape.

You get to remember that moment that it burned you for years, and you also get to revel in those moments where your team gets a break for it. Over time it all plays out fine.

Its better than getting into a mess with challenges and long reviews of tape.

It really isn't.

I don't want to wait years for a fucked up call in the playoffs to even out.

This isn't new, this has been going on forever, and it's on the NHLPA to change things. They don't want their guys getting long suspensions.

I didn't say it was new, I'm saying you need to weigh what the league is doing about other aspects of the game in regards to something else that affects the same thing. The league has absolute authority over how players are disciplined because of dirty shit.

Sanjuro

Fuck all the dinosaurs that don't want extended replays.

Fuck the new age hipsters who think their virtual boys and epads can get the job done.

Again, it's all about implementation. I would rather see a lengthy trial period and test run at the other levels before throwing that into the game.

Velcro Fly

It would have taken 30 seconds for them to determine offside though. This isn't the NFL with complex rules and bullshit explanations. He's either offside or he isn't.

Fuck the new age hipsters who think their virtual boys and epads can get the job done.

Again, it's all about implementation. I would rather see a lengthy trial period and test run at the other levels before throwing that into the game.

Other levels don't really match the speed of the NHL though.

I wonder if the refs get calls from their bosses berating them for shitty calls between periods?

"Hey fuckhead, you messed this up last period. I'm sending you the video now"?

Sanjuro

Other levels don't really match the speed of the NHL though.

No, but it's still a sample size. Better than just throwing it in and see what happens. Less people are upset, more players/coaches will have a better understanding.

I don't believe they will just insert replay without situations involving over analysis for things beyond the intended purpose.

Mii

Banned
Stalock definitely needs to start game 6.

Acid come enjoy the Avs-Wild game now, its actual hockey.

EDIT: Its your own fault Acid you missed everything

Top Bottom