• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs: A thread full of jerk 'yoffs

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Sportsnet certainly does not struggle to fill its multiple networks with content, so I'm interested to see what TSN does moving forward especially without a big hockey package in the fall/winter. Big news in any case. I've been spoiled with my condo providing me a full HD tv package.

More poker and darts maybe?

They'll probably have a bigger MLS/International soccer presence, maybe I'll start watching, but I have a hard time watching sports without a team to root for.

Here's a GIF of Beleskey trying to channel Brown

OrderlyAmazingHackee.gif

sigh.

Marvie_3

Banned
Does anyone have recommendations on good starting gear to play hockey? Not sure how much I should spend on stuff to start out.

Start off with wood sticks. You should be able to find them for $20-30. That way you won't be out as much money if you break them while you're still learning.

With skates, don't get the cheapest thing you can find but you don't need a $3-400 pair of skates when you're learning. I'm a big fan of reebok's recent skates. I've been using a pair for awhile now. You should be able to find a good starting pair of skates for $125-150.

Lol Ottawa journos.

The only thing certain is that Giggles is getting his ass shipped out this summer.

Even worse for Chicago. The Hawks have a bad habit of pulling the press passes of journalists that ask questions they don't like or ones that are too "hard" on a regular basis.

To above regarding equipment: buy a composite stick so you can practice on ice and the street without the blade getting messed up. Marvie's skate advice is solid. Padding... Just get middle of the line stuff that fits properly for now.

LOL DUCKS LOL

Oh look, he's done crying about the refs long enough to make fun of the team that embarrassed his shit team.

kingslunk

Even worse for Chicago. The Hawks have a bad habit of pulling the press passes of journalists that ask questions they don't like or ones that are too "hard" on a regular basis.

To above regarding equipment: buy a composite stick so you can practice on ice and the street without the blade getting messed up. Marvie's skate advice is solid. Padding... Just get middle of the line stuff that fits properly for now.

Oh look, he's done crying about the refs long enough to make fun of the team that embarrassed his shit team.

nah refs will always be shit

Start off with wood sticks. You should be able to find them for $20-30. That way you won't be out as much money if you break them while you're still learning.

With skates, don't get the cheapest thing you can find but you don't need a $3-400 pair of skates when you're learning. I'm a big fan of reebok's recent skates. I've been using a pair for awhile now. You should be able to find a good starting pair of skates for $125-150.

Skate sizes are smaller than shoe sizes, and you'll probably want one with a snug/tight fit. I bought a pair of Bauer skates for about $60 since it was offseason.

Yeah I'm not sure why the need three more channels considering they just lost the NHL. I guess now they can show 5 curling matches at a time
and I"ll watch.

I could watch women's curling all day.

Re: Padding:

One thing you'll want to spend money on are gloves. Get a pair a gloves that a)fit b) good wrist/ thumb protection c) have good grip.

Sanjuro

I didn't have a chance to watch the Ducks/Kings game, but how dead were the Ducks in the 2nd/3rd periods of the game?

From the box score, it just looks like Quick played standing on his head.

I predicted Habs' loss on Saturday and I predict that Habs win tonight.

Price was reunited with his two lost labradors Sunday/Monday, so he will be playing happy

Giggzy

I didn't have a chance to watch the Ducks/Kings game, but how dead were the Ducks in the 2nd/3rd periods of the game?

From the box score, it just looks like Quick played standing on his head.

Ducks got a lot of shots, but they were just perimeter shots. We were getting boxed out of getting rebounds as nobody was trying hard enough to get in the dirty areas. We really didn't have many great scoring chances.

Sanjuro

Ducks got a lot of shots, but they were just perimeter shots. We were getting boxed out of getting rebounds as nobody was trying hard enough to get in the dirty areas. We really didn't have many great scoring chances.

Gotcha. Sounds like a Bruins game!

Cool, I have a wooden stick at home from just playing in the street and some sites said Bauer vapor 40 or vapor 60 were good skates for beginners. I'll check Reebok too. Do I need full padding or can I skimp on some while still learning?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, I have a wooden stick at home from just playing in the street and some sites said Bauer vapor 40 or vapor 60 were good skates for beginners. I'll check Reebok too. Do I need full padding or can I skimp on some while still learning?

Do you have family or friends with old hockey equipment you can borrow/buy?

You won't need anything brand new except maybe gloves.

Playing in a league? Or just pick up play? How physical are you looking at? Personally in terms of padding:
1) Helmet (go with a cage IMO a lot less maintainace and cheaper while getting you great protection)

2) Gloves

3) Shin/ Knee pads

4) Padded pants

5 Shoulder/Chest/elbow padding

I'm not much help in the padding department, sorry. I've only played goalie, so I really have no idea how to choose padding for regular use apart from gloves/shin pads. Definitely spend more on gloves, like said above. Especially if you're going to be in front of the net practicing redirects.

Helmet with a cage and knee pads are good too. The rare occasions I just screw around and play forward in casual games, I never really wear elbow pads.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I can't get enough of that snarling, mouth-breathing sound that Therrien made during his press conference yesterday. It's barely human. I've probably heard it on the radio 50 times by now.

In other news, tonight's refs should be a concern for Bruins fans.

" Rooney called the most penalties of any referee in the 2013-14 season while averaging the most PIM per game as well (13). Meanwhile, Tim Peel is the second-most home-biased ref in the league, with the road team receiving 20.7 percent more minors in the games he officiates. Perhaps most frightening of all, in 4 of 6 games, the Rooney and Peel tandem has called a penalty in the last 10 minutes. That's something you would expect on Joey Crawford's resume. "

TrueGrime

I'm not much help in the padding department, sorry. I've only played goalie, so I really have no idea how to choose padding for regular use apart from gloves/shin pads. Definitely spend more on gloves, like said above. Especially if you're going to be in front of the net practicing redirects.

Helmet with a cage and knee pads are good too. The rare occasions I just screw around and play forward in casual games, I never really wear elbow pads.

I play with everything except a cage or visor. I need to get one though because I'm sure the first time I get hit in the face will be the last time I ever get hit in the face. What I have noticed in my league is that a lot of the skilled players don't worry shoulder/chest pads. I think not wearing a full set of pads is ludicrous.

Do you have family or friends with old hockey equipment you can borrow/buy?

You won't need anything brand new except maybe gloves.

Unfortunately no. :(
Playing in a league? Or just pick up play? How physical are you looking at? Personally in terms of padding:
1) Helmet (go with a cage IMO a lot less maintainace and cheaper while getting you great protection)

2) Gloves

3) Shin/ Knee pads

4) Padded pants

5 Shoulder/Chest/elbow padding

Are there places that sell used pads? Or should I check Craigslist or similar?

Heretic

Yeah, walks are the worst.

Onto tomorrow and beyond.

Dstrdl, Heretic, Giggzy, Calamari

We're surprisingly not salty at all.
iJCEyYI.gif

I don't know what it is. We're the better team. Playing better, not good, but better than them. I just can't seem to get into this series. I get nervous before game time then when the game starts I don't really care for it. I just hope Teemu's last game isn't at Staples :(

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't know what it is. We're the better team. Playing better, not good, but better than them. I just can't seem to get into this series. I get nervous before game time then when the game starts I don't really care for it. I just hope Teemu's last game isn't at Staples :(

The difference is the pipes that we hit in the first game and the couple of crazy saves Quick made in the second, plus that stupid breakaway to start the game.

Quick is carrying the team on his back, and has been since San Jose.

And that's not an excuse or an insult to the Kings, either. Quick is on fire.

As I said before, it's one thing to lose looking bad. That sucks, but all you can do is throw your hands up. To lose looking better than the team that's beating you is just the worst.

ShaneB

So far all the parity talk
(fake parity)
we're on a collision course for identical conference final matchups from last year.

Bah.

Heretic

The difference is the pipes that we hit in the first game and the couple of crazy saves Quick made in the second, plus that stupid breakaway to start the game.

Quick is carrying the team on his back, and has been since San Jose.

And that's not an excuse or an insult to the Kings, either. Quick is on fire.

As I said before, it's one thing to lose looking bad. That sucks, but all you can do is throw your hands up. To lose looking better than the team that's beating you is just the worst.

Right on the money, for me. Despite it all, I still feel confident in this team.

Marvie_3

Banned
wsox never mentioned his illustrious rapping career did he? I'ma need some tour tickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x1MbmlCpyB4
That kid would beat the shit out of wsox.

Unfortunately no. :(

Are there places that sell used pads? Or should I check Craigslist or similar?

Check some 2nd hand sporting good stores, but be careful, hockey equipment can get fucking gross if it wasn't taken care of.

When you're looking at gloves, look for some with longer wrists. I'm still using some worn out gloves I've had for a long time because I don't like how a lot of newer gloves seem to have less padding around the wrists. Shorter ones allow for a bit more flexibility but getting a whack on the wrists isn't any fun either.

If you aren't going to step into any type of league right away, then don't worry so much about equipment other than gloves/helmet. And play with a cage. Replacing teeth/getting stitches isn't worth it. I used to play without a cage until I took a puck to the jaw. Thankfully it wasn't that hard of an impact and there was no serious damage but it was enough to get me to wear one going forward.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Right on the money, for me. Despite it all, I still feel confident in this team.

I still say they can take this series. Can take it. If they can just get the bounces going their way, we'll be looking at a whole new game.

Either way, we have a great team that will be fun to watch next season no matter what happens right now.

That kid would beat the shit out of wsox.

Check some 2nd hand sporting good stores, but be careful, hockey equipment can get fucking gross if it wasn't taken care of.

When you're looking at gloves, look for some with longer wrists. I'm still using some worn out gloves I've had for a long time because I don't like how a lot of newer gloves seem to have less padding around the wrists. Shorter ones allow for a bit more flexibility but getting a whack on the wrists isn't any fun either.

If you aren't going to step into any type of league right away, then don't worry so much about equipment other than gloves/helmet. And play with a cage. Replacing teeth/getting stitches isn't worth it. I used to play without a cage until I took a puck to the jaw. Thankfully it wasn't that hard of an impact and there was no serious damage but it was enough to get me to wear one going forward.
Cool, I'll probably just do pick up games and hopefully work up to a league. And yeah, I have desire to not wear a cage. Nothing cool about getting hurt when you're not making millions of dollars.

Is there a certain price range for gloves? I remember people telling me not to skimp on gloves, they make a huge difference if you use shitty gloves.

I'm not happy with being down 0-2 but not terribly worried.

Even the Kings gaffers have been good.

In real life though... Dear lord. I don't think anyone who is a fan of the San Diego Chargers should rub it in.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Have any of my Ducks-GAF brethren been to the new Grand Terrace after a game? My wife and I went there last night to wait for traffic to die down, and it was legit as fuck. Obviously it wasn't too crowded and people weren't for too excited, but the food was amazing, especially the desserts.

I'm not sure if they're open after every game, but if they are, check that shit out. Good place to wait for traffic to die down and watch any other games that are going on at the time. It's pricey, but not too much worse than the concessions in the arena proper and the food is a couple notches above.

And as an added bonus, they were turning people in Kings gear away at the door. As if they could afford it anyway.

Giggzy

Playing against the Kings is like playing against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea. All they do is sit 11 men behind the ball, close up shop so you can't score, and beat you on the counter or by your own mistake. It's boring and frustrating as fuck to play against, but it works and is effective.

Fuck.

Heretic

Have any of my Ducks-GAF brethren been to the new Grand Terrace after a game? My wife and I went there last night to wait for traffic to die down, and it was legit as fuck. Obviously it wasn't too crowded and people weren't for too excited, but the food was amazing, especially the desserts.

I'm not sure if they're open after every game, but if they are, check that shit out. Good place to wait for traffic to die down and watch any other games that are going on at the time. It's pricey, but not too much worse than the concessions in the arena proper and the food is a couple notches above.

And as an added bonus, they were turning people in Kings gear away at the door. As if they could afford it anyway.

I went after Game 1 on Saturday and was seriously impressed. Kind of regret not getting a pass for it. Paying $800 for my girlfriend and I though was a little too steep. Beautiful though.

Marvie_3

Banned
Cool, I'll probably just do pick up games and hopefully work up to a league. And yeah, I have desire to not wear a cage. Nothing cool about getting hurt when you're not making millions of dollars.

Is there a certain price range for gloves? I remember people telling me not to skimp on gloves, they make a huge difference if you use shitty gloves.

I've seen gloves run anywhere from $30 up to $250. As mentioned above, the fit/padding is more important. The gloves I use were only about $55 but they fit great and have more than enough padding for me. You're going to get what you pay for if you go with the cheapest gloves you can find, but you can definitely find a good pair of gloves if you look around, especially with hockey equipment going out of season right now in a lot of places.

Same goes for helmets. You don't need anything crazy expensive. Just get something that fits well and has enough padding for you to feel safe. When you're looking at cages, make sure you can see out of it. Some cages are really distracting because of the cage/color of the cage. I spray painted mine because I couldn't stand using any black/white/silver ones. Now it's a nice seafoam green because I can ignore that color pretty well. :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Playing against the Kings is like playing against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea. All they do is sit 11 men behind the ball, close up shop so you can't score, and beat you on the counter or by your own mistake. It's boring and frustrating as fuck to play against, but it works and is effective.

Fuck.

Who gets to be Sunderland, then?

Meanwhile, no supplemental discipline for Staal's crosscheck on Crosby. To which I say, "no shit."

Top Bottom