• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs |OT2| 'Yoff Harder

Roflobear

Wonder if Carcillo's misconduct in the first period had a profoundly negative impact on the Rangers' energy/performance as the game went on

Mentok

Banned
I'd say Therrien still needs to figure out his lines, especially if Prust gets a suspension for game #4 (which is highly likely). I still don't get how Briere sits on the 4th line.

That was like the only goal that went in in the last bunch of games that wasnt a freak goal or bvreakaway. Im serious for the most part.

But he still gave it up. He's been on his head but Tokarski was making the saves tonight and he didn't. No resting on laurels. That's not to get on the rest of the team. They threw the kitchen sink at him tonight and couldn't get more than 2 by him.

I'd say I'm surprised, but you know, #rangers

Roflobear

If anything, I would expect something like that to fire them up

Maybe for a short while, but everyone else had to compensate for his absence by playing longer shifts, which would tire them out by the game's end. And they were definitely losing their edge as the game went on. Wonder if there's any correlation there

We need to start scoring, hell even shooting on our PP's. Way too many turnovers\icings and we still squeaked out the win tonight. Hoping for a huge game Sunday and coming back home tied 2-2.

Animal

Banned
Mods don't touch this thread much. Bish is here even less thanks to the Canucks lovely season.

I look at it like fighting in hockey. It usually is good clean fun till someone gets really hurt.

Bish is omnipresent. Never doubt him. Fear him always.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
We need brass back. Zucc has played well but Poliout is useless without him. Need him back for game 4.
I'm 99% sure Pouliot is hurt. Maintenance day yesterday and looked like garbage today. Playing with 11 (and sometimes 10) forwards also killed us.

Still not too worried. We were the better team again.

Mentok

Banned
This is not the first time Gorges makes a huge glove save in the playoffs.

As much as it was a great glove save, he took Tokarski out of the play, which led to the goal. It was a good defensive effort, but most players on a 2 on 1 slide towards the shooter,not backwards. I really hope we can ride this momentum to a better game #4 and bring to back 2-2 to the Bell Centre!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How I managed to get banned for a month for something not-banworthy IN HERE will forever remain a mystery.

Don't remember seeing it in this thread but here's the tiny habs flag outside Boston City Hall.
habs-flag.jpg

Animal

Banned
As much as it was a great glove save, he took Tokarski out of the play, which led to the goal. It was a good defensive effort, but most players on a 2 on 1 slide towards the shooter,not backwards. I really hope we can ride this momentum to a better game #4 and bring to back 2-2 to the Bell Centre!

Here is how I saw the play:
In a 2-1, the textbook (I played 9 years of hockey up till Midget BB) actually says the defenseman takes out the passing lane/non-puck-carrier and only leaves a narrow shooting lane which the goalie (its his job) is supposed to cover. Every coach I've ever had would drill this into our heads.

Gorges was too far\slow from either player to take one out (this was his true mistake\failure) but didn't want to give more room to the shooter to try a deke. Tokarski position relative to the shooter and the net behind him was completely wrong before gorges knocked him over.

I'm not excusing Gorges. I just don't think the outcome would of changed if gorges hadn't backed into Tokarski.

Mentok

Banned
Here is how I saw the play:
In a 2-1, the textbook (I played 9 years of hockey up till Midget BB) actually says the defenseman takes out the passing lane/non-puck-carrier and only leaves a narrow shooting lane which the goalie (its his job) is supposed to cover. Every coach I've ever had would drill this into our heads.

Gorges was too far\slow from either player to take one out (this was his true mistake\failure) but didn't want to give more room to the shooter to try a deke. Tokarski position relative to the shooter and the net behind him was completely wrong before gorges knocked him over.

I'm not excusing Gorges. I just don't think the outcome would of changed if gorges hadn't backed into Tokarski.

True, it could've still been a goal. Just saying as brilliant as that glove play was, he shouldn't have been on top of Tokarski....but as you pointed out it was desperation from being slow to the play.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just going to quote this from before the game:
I can't imagine sweeping the Habs, and I can't imagine winning 3 times in a row at Bell Centre, so to me the most realistic best case scenario right now is losing tonight and winning the series in 6.

It sure would be swell to just get this series over with this weekend, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So depending on how the league chooses to define Carcillo's misconduct, he could be facing a suspension of anywhere from 3 to 20+ games.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thought it was 10 game automatic, he has no case he's gonna get it. Repeat offender that he is...

It depends on what part of Section 40 they decide it violates.

Here are the options:

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II – Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III – Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

From what I saw (and I haven't seen a replay), the "deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation" from 40.4 sounds like the most accurate description, so that would be 3 games. 40.3 might or might not be applicable as well, and that would be the 10 games. The league could decide otherwise, though.

zroid

Banned
I would think 40.3 is most applicable, although the fact it was an elbow would lead me to increase the suspension a bit above 10 games. More like 15.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I would think 40.3 is most applicable, although the fact it was an elbow would lead me to increase the suspension a bit above 10 games. More like 15.

Probably gonna be 7 + 4 = 11, that way he'll for sure miss the rest of the playoffs, even if both series go to game 7's.

Calamari41

41 > 38
i4ed6x2bhIRnT.gif

To me that's a clear Cat III, in that he is struggling to break free from the official. For it to be a Cat II offense, he would have to be deemed to not be trying to break free. A case can be made for that, I suppose, and it will probably come down to the "during or immediately after an altercation" caveat in Cat III. He wasn't actually involved in the fight, so I could see them using that as a flimsy reason to stick him with a >3 game suspension.

It would be the most chapped-ass decision in official review history to deem that he is actively trying to injure here, so Cat I is right out.

Edit: ehhhh... after watching this a ton more times, those two elbows at the end are pretty apparently not related to any kind of struggle. I can see this getting the 10+ game suspension.

Carcillo throwing elbows is something I missed. Dude was pissed at the terrible call and handled it like an idiot. Legitimate case for a suspension going after a ref like that. Especially after Landeskog's vicious attack on a ref earlier in the yoffs, he got a million game suspension for that.

Top Bottom