• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
In one of several replays I saw it was quite obvious that Hilary Knight (accidentally) tripped her up by skating into her leg. It sure wasn't cross-checking, but there was a penalty of some sort there. Basically they both lost their balance, but it was the American's fault.

edit: watch the legs
840052948.gif
A clearer trip there. Bubububut phantom call!

What's next?

Mattilaus

Neo Member
would like to see it from the other side, but either way, as stated, any contact resulting in a trip is a penalty on a breakaway. Think of it like speed skating. The american player would have been DQ'ed for causing the crash.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Swiss Goalie Schelling won best goalie of the tournament and tournament MVP.

Schelling&Hiller wooooooo.

Too bad the offense of our Men's team sucks, because our goaltending&defense is alright.

Stet

Banned
There would have been no reason for her to dive there. She had a breakaway and with Knight out of the way there was nobody to stop her. Even a penalty shot would've been the same scenario.

Mattilaus

Neo Member
Incidental contact is still a penalty. Even if you accidentally trip someone, you tripped them. The only way to stop a breakaway is to try and catch up enough that you can play the puck with your stick and even that results in a trip a lot of the time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
She did accidentally kick Wickenheiser's skate. Unfortunate for the Americans, but it counts as tripping. And it looks like her stick got caught in Wickenheiser's jersey as well(thought she pulled her down with her hand at first).

calder

I thought incidental contact made it a no call.

No, the only way that's not a penalty is if she knocks the puck away before she knocks Wickenheiser down, but she obviously didn't get close to hitting the puck.

The replay looks odd at first, I think because you're expecting to see a hook or a hold but it was the legs that got tripped up.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone know when the gold medal game will be on Sunday? I fly out then, hopefully I don't miss it...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So Garth Snow doesn't want NHLers to go to the Olympics.... but he was furious when Okposo wasn't selected for team USA.

....Right

Silkworm

The shit factor of that collapse is 10.

By comparison, the shit factor of the Leafs collapse against Boston last year was only a 6.

Ah! Thank-you for reminding me of that collapse by the Leafs in Game 7.... I'm starting to feel better :) They eventually lost to Chicago but at least it wasn't the Leafs. Go Bruins! Go USA!

You can tell shes aged. She was skating like 2 mph on a breakaway.

Ill give that call to the ref though. But that slash call was BS

The ref called out slashing on the Canadian goalie earlier in the game and issued a warning that another slash would result in a penalty, if that's what you're referring to

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In one of several replays I saw it was quite obvious that Hilary Knight (accidentally) tripped her up by skating into her leg. It sure wasn't cross-checking, but there was a penalty of some sort there. Basically they both lost their balance, but it was the American's fault.

edit: watch the legs
840052948.gif

A clearer trip there. Bubububut phantom call!

What's next?

The other camera angle (from behind/above) was MUCH clearer. The American woman brushed against her. It was clearly incidental contact.

USA blew it by allowing 2 goals that late in the game, plain and simple. But that was a terrible call.

Silkworm

They were up in the last game and let in two late goals...collapse.

Still not as epic as the Leafs losing in Game 7 with a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period ;-)

Admittedly it hurt not to push it to a game 7, but time heals wounds. Hopefully the Bruins will do well come this year's playoffs.

yyzjohn

Banned
Still not as epic as the Leafs losing in Game 7 with a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period ;-)

Admittedly it hurt not to push it to a game 7, but time heals wounds. Hopefully the Bruins will do well come this year's playoffs.

There's no comparison. The Leafs collapsed but it was round 1, the Bruins were playing for the Stanley Cup and about 1 minute away from forcing game 7.

Silkworm

There's no comparison. The Leafs collapsed but it was round 1, the Bruins were playing for the Stanley Cup and about 1 minute away from forcing game 7.

Damn you, quit digging at that wound ;-) The 2013 Stanely Cup finals never happened! *sigh* (okay it sucked big time, are you happy? *salty tears*)

The other camera angle (from behind/above) was MUCH clearer. The American woman brushed against her. It was clearly incidental contact.

USA blew it by allowing 2 goals that late in the game, plain and simple. But that was a terrible call.

Again, doesn't matter how incidental the contact was, that is a penalty. You can't kick someones legs out and say it was an accident.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Again, doesn't matter how incidental the contact was, that is a penalty. You can't kick someones legs out and say it was an accident.

But she didn't "kick someone's legs out." Watch the other replay if you can find it. I have it on my DVR but can't find it online. She brushed her back and the Canadian dropped like a bag of dirt.

But she didn't "kick someone's legs out." Watch the other replay if you can find it. I have it on my DVR but can't find it online. She brushed her back and the Canadian dropped like a bag of dirt.

You're really just going to completely ignore the legs and say it wasn't a penalty?

Samyy

Or if you looked at the skates, you would note the American skater kicked the skates of the Canadian, looks accidental but the contact is there.

3N16MA

Banned

Brushed her back or kicked her legs out, it does not matter. You can't do it and cause a player on a breakaway to fall.

Yes, it was soft. But it's also a legit penalty.

It just sucks (for the US women) the US wasn't able to capitalize on its own PP in OT. There's nothing worse than losing when you had oh so many chances to win the game.

Man watching those American women cry was tough. They probably deserved to win the game, outside of the Leafs-Bruins-like choke in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom