• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

What the fuck is up with this "incidental contact" bullshit? That has zero relevance to anything on that play. It literally doesn't matter how it happens, if you are behind someone on a breakaway and physically prevent them from getting a shot off other than knocking the puck away it's a penalty. It *should* be a penalty shot, but in OT a 4 on 3 is arguably better than a penalty shot anyway so the ref bailing out on the correct call hardly matters.

If you want to complain about that "slash" though, by all means, that call was shit. Like I said, even acknowledging the refs had warned the players about hacking at the puck when the goalie had it that penalty was 10% slash, 90% even-up call.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, the breakaway thing wasn't really the bullshit call. What was bullshit was that it set Canada up for a 5-on-3 because of the EXTREMELY bullshit slashing call that came right before it.

calder

OK, time to focus on tomorrow's game against the overwhelming favourites, the United States of Kessel. Can anyone hope to defeat the tournaments undisputed top dogs?

Should be a dandy! No pressure, I'm sure it'll be a chill, mildly amusing affair.

tumblr_m8q6h7cCLd1rd2qw6o1_250.gif

Seriously, damn near anything could happen. Canada could be down 4-0 after the first period, it could be 0-0 in overtime. Crosby could get a hattrick and then skate to the bench, pull out his phone to start trolling assholes on twitter who said he sucked. *Anything*.

Socreges

Banned
What the fuck is up with this "incidental contact" bullshit? That has zero relevance to anything on that play. It literally doesn't matter how it happens, if you are behind someone on a breakaway and physically prevent them from getting a shot off other than knocking the puck away it's a penalty. It *should* be a penalty shot, but in OT a 4 on 3 is arguably better than a penalty shot anyway so the ref bailing out on the correct call hardly matters.

If you want to complain about that "slash" though, by all means, that call was shit. Like I said, even acknowledging the refs had warned the players about hacking at the puck when the goalie had it that penalty was 10% slash, 90% even-up call.
BINGO.

I understand that some people aren't going to be familiar enough with the rules and will be so bitter that truly they'd rather have their own interpretation, but seeing guys like Plinko who really should know better coming up with completely asinine complaints... that's surprising.

calder

Price with the shutout.

No, seriously

Stop laughing

That'd be nice. And if nothing else Canada's goal tending and defense have been great so far so... maybe right?

I honestly think the US has to be favourites tomorrow, but I'm also sure that Canada is happier to be playing them than anyone else. Based on how they are playing I bet they'd take a semifinal with the US over Finland or Switzerland, the familiarity factor will be high and they don't need to worry about the frustration of seeing 5 guys collapse the box at even strength.

Acid08

Banned
That'd be nice. And if nothing else Canada's goal tending and defense have been great so far so... maybe right?

I honestly think the US has to be favourites tomorrow, but I'm also sure that Canada is happier to be playing them than anyone else. Based on how they are playing I bet they'd take a semifinal with the US over Finland or Switzerland, the familiarity factor will be high and they don't need to worry about the frustration of seeing 5 guys collapse the box at even strength.
The US are never favorites over Canada. It doesn't even matter how the teams play, the fact that Canada has the team they have puts them as favorites in a lot of peoples eyes. On paper the Canadians should be the best team hands down.

Jayhawk

Hmm, one gambling site has the odds for tomorrow's Canada vs USA at -110 for both teams, so even odds! Good thing I set up hockey pools that cost me no money or else it'd be like 2010 where I was betting on things like men's curling.

Razorskin

----- ------
1-0 Canada win

game winner is a deflection off Brown's knee from a Weber slap shot, Brown's knee is shattered and never plays again.

O Canada.

pestul

Goddamn gold medal game will be ending at a very bad time for me.. gahh. These games are typically a lot less than 3hrs if no OT right?

Acid08

Banned
so then if you wish injury on Brown, you're no better than him
All I want is to see him get a tremendous ass kicking. He won't fight though so I guess he'll just keep on keeping on.

I don't wish injury on any player but would I shed a tear if someone threw a knee at Brown for once? Nah.

Kak.efes

Guys, the breakaway thing wasn't really the bullshit call. What was bullshit was that it set Canada up for a 5-on-3 because of the EXTREMELY bullshit slashing call that came right before it.

That wasn't the first time the player in question slashed the Canadian goalie. The CBC did a good job of pointing that out. She was warned by the referee after she did it the first time. Well, she did it again, and she was promptly penalized. She knew she was on a short leash, but she slashed her anyway, putting the onus on the referee to make the call.

Also, the Canadian goalie was getting roughed up by the American's all game long. I remember her getting knocked on her ass behind the net in the second period.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You're really just going to completely ignore the legs and say it wasn't a penalty?

Or if you looked at the skates, you would note the American skater kicked the skates of the Canadian, looks accidental but the contact is there.

Brushed her back or kicked her legs out, it does not matter. You can't do it and cause a player on a breakaway to fall.

Yes, it was soft. But it's also a legit penalty.

It just sucks (for the US women) the US wasn't able to capitalize on its own PP in OT. There's nothing worse than losing when you had oh so many chances to win the game.

Again, find a link to the video of the replay from behind. The American brushed her back, the Candian dropped. Their legs didn't even make contact until the Canadian fell.

Regardless, USA blew that game. I just think the call was garbage.

calder

Again, find a link to the video of the replay from behind. The American brushed her back, the Candian dropped. Their legs didn't even make contact until the Canadian fell.

How do you not see that the defender's legs BOTH hit the attacker's legs before they "brushed" backs? The skate to skate contact is WHY the American player stumbles into Wickenheiser. It's an easy, obvious tripping call.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
From the Swiss media:

"Canada's superstars Sidney Crosby and REAL CANADIAN HERO* Rick Nash still scoreless"

*emphasis added by me.

Clearly Nash is the second biggest star on the team, Swiss media knows its stuff!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
From the Swiss media:

"Canada's superstars Sidney Crosby and REAL CANADIAN HERO* Rick Nash still scoreless"

*emphasis added by me.

Clearly Nash is the second biggest star on the team, Swiss media knows its stuff!
I think he may be the only one they know. Didn't he go over there and play during the lockout?

calder

From the Swiss media:

*emphasis added by me.

Nash's goal in the first period of the QF against the Russians in 2010 is my favourite goal of all time and I consider Nash's performance in that game right up there with Gretzky and Lemieux in '87 in the pantheon of Team Canada performances. Well ok not quite up with 99 & 66 but close lol.

I wish I could see the other semi live. We need to not sleep on Sweden vs Finland because that should be fantastic too. Go Suomi!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
But she didn't "kick someone's legs out." Watch the other replay if you can find it. I have it on my DVR but can't find it online. She brushed her back and the Canadian dropped like a bag of dirt.

She doesn't drop till her skate is hit. Watch the right skate of both players.

840052948.gif

Let me get this straight: one camera angle shows a penalty and the other one doesn't, so clearly the one that doesn't is right and the one that does is an optical illusion?

Nash's goal in the first period of the QF against the Russians in 2010 is my favourite goal of all time and I consider Nash's performance in that game right up there with Gretzky and Lemieux in '87 in the pantheon of Team Canada performances. Well ok not quite up with 99 & 66 but close lol.

I wish I could see the other semi live. We need to not sleep on Sweden vs Finland because that should be fantastic too. Go Suomi!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=22Erp6ETFUU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom