• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.
ijl6g7maBApHW.gif

Two posts.

RangersFan

Dear USA,
Why you gotta wish for the Swedes to win now? I thought we were bros.
Canada

Because the sexy beast in my avatar.

<---------

Also lets be real, while Americans often do cheer for Canada in events they're not in the reverse is almost never the case...

Kak.efes

We'll see you motherfuckers in four years. Good ass game Canada, you deserve every bit of that victory.

I don't think you will. This might be the last time NHL players participate. In a way, this game was for eternal braggin' rights, and we won.

Would Finland have had a chance with Rask in net?

Canada vs. Sweden will be low scoring. Canada has the better depth though.

And Toews totally neutralized Kessel.

RangersFan

I don't think you will. This might be the last time NHL players participate. In a way, this game was for eternal braggin' rights, and we won.

I guarantee you will see NHL players in 2018. The ratings for USA Russia game shattered records for hockey. And it was on NBCSN and at 7:30 AM 4:30AM pacific. That shit never happens for Hockey in this country. And I'm sure today's game drew a lot as well.

MutFox

Banned
Because the sexy beast in my avatar.

<---------

Also lets be real, while Americans often do cheer for Canada in events they're not in the reverse is almost never the case...

Of course not, we're a nation of 30 million, we're an underdog when it comes to per capita.
And a reason why other countries will cheer for us too...

Seeing Norway at the top of the Medals with a pop of 5 million,
they're true underdogs and why people are happy seeing them there.

US has 300 million people... They got enough people to cheer for themselves... :p

Holiday

Banned
Canada is better :(

On the bright side, Bouwmeester mushroom-bruised the haters, and now Steen's nose has a shot at Olympic glory.

Would Finland have had a chance with Rask in net?

Canada vs. Sweden will be low scoring. Canada has the better depth though.

And Toews totally neutralized Kessel.

Bronze game is always about who wants it more.

Edit. Oh. it seems you meant the semifinal. Lehtonen was fine. Could have had that second goal mut he also made some great saves.

Blader

you guys sure are obsessed with that Mr. Awesome post. :lol

also, NHL will definitely show up for 2018. I think those threats of the league pulling out of the Olympics actually become less and less likely as time goes on.

That's not really true in my experience. Particularly in southwestern ON there are a lot of Canadians who love the shit out of the States. Particularly Detroit for reasons I'll never quite understand.

I guarantee you will see NHL players in 2018. The ratings for USA Russia game shattered records for hockey. And it was on NBCSN and at 7:30 AM 4:30AM pacific. That shit never happens for Hockey in this country. And I'm sure today's game drew a lot as well.

At least what I have read from finnish papers it seems that if NHL and IIHF can negotiate the deal about world cup (which would bring money to NHL and would be played in NA) then NHL would sent players also to olympics. Every two years high quality international hockey in both big ice and NHL sized rinks. Everyone would be happy. Fuck yes.

fallout

Not seeing a lot of salt from USA fans, but I'm surprised we haven't seen more from the Canadian fans who have been shitting all over this team for the past couple months.

jacket320

Those ratings make nothing for the NHL and only keep owners/GMs on the edge of their seats hoping that there aren't any injuries of consequence-which there have been during these Olympics. Personally, I love international hockey but totally understand why it might not make sense for the owners and businessman-side of things. I won't be surprised if the NHL declines to send players in 2018 but Im hoping for the best.

GG Canada; you guys dominated.

calder

Not seeing a lot of salt from USA fans, but I'm surprised we haven't seen more from the Canadian fans who have been shitting all over this team for the past couple months.

I'm sure if dem wasn't in his HR meeting he'd be here to tell us all how awful Canada looked and how much of a joke this squad is.

RC

Banned
Great game. Both Price and Quick were stellar. Productivity in Canadian workplaces must have been low as hell.

We had a quiz in the computer lab during the last 5 minutes of the game. Not a single person even attempted the quiz till the game was over.

RangersFan

Do they? lol, never knew this.

I do cheer for America a lot, but just not in the Olympics.

They do, most of middle America see Canada as bros. Keep in mind that the Hockey loving contingent and those invested in the US Canada rivalry is such a microscopic % of our 350 + million population, we're talking about thousands of people on the internet compare to millions. Where as you have a whole 30 million + people who would love nothing more than beating their neighbors to the south.

It's just the way the American fans came off over round robin games and equating a nation's result over another nation an indicator of how good they are. Like when Canada "only" won 2-1 over Latvia and the Americans put 5 goals behind a stronger Czech team. That means Canada sucks, easy semi-final matchup.

Plus the whole T.J. Oshie is God thing after he had 6 penalty shots. I saw him once in todays game making a nice block, aside from that the forwards finally had to face a tough D-corps and didn't do anything.

Those ratings make nothing for the NHL and only keep owners/GMs on the edge of their seats hoping that there aren't any injuries of consequence-which there have been during these Olympics. Personally, I love international hockey but totally understand why it might not make sense for the owners and businessman-side of things. I won't be surprised if the NHL declines to send players in 2018 but Im hoping for the best.

GG Canada; you guys dominated.
But it makes sense, maybe less for 2018 because of the timezone(I will probably be bad for you again.) but 2010 did so much for Hockey in the US. If the owners can subsidize a bunch of loosing teams in southern states, they can sure as hell survive a couple of injuries.

RangersFan

It's just the way the American fans came off over round robin games and equating a nation's result over another nation an indicator of how good they are. Like when Canada "only" won 2-1 over Latvia and the Americans put 5 goals behind a stronger Czech team. That means Canada sucks, easy semi-final matchup.

Plus the whole T.J. Oshie is God thing after he had 6 penalty shots. I saw him once in todays game making a nice block, aside from that the forwards finally had to face a tough D-corps and didn't do anything.
lol you can't take those "fans" seriously. those were obvious non NHL fans who only care about hockey every 4 years. you didn't notice any nhl-gaf americans posting shit like that did you?

3N16MA

Banned
We had a quiz in the computer lab during the last 5 minutes of the game. Not a single person even attempted the quiz till the game was over.

I was watching with a few people that took the day off well in advance. Prof should know better than to try to get a quiz in during the game.

Acid08

Banned

#thisisourgame #birthright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom