• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
That's not really true in my experience. Particularly in southwestern ON there are a lot of Canadians who love the shit out of the States. Particularly Detroit for reasons I'll never quite understand.

yeap. I cheer for Canada first, big brother US second.

oh and I love Detroit :). But I do have family there. With that said, when one says "hockey town" in the states, they are talking about Detroit.

This picture blew my mind. I had no idea Michigan was that far up.

Is it common that people from Detroit try to swim across the river and become Canadians? Windsor looks quite nice.

Detroit is a wasteland, so I imagine everyone and their grandmother is on a makeshift tire raft right now paddling towards the land of bagged milk and maple syrup.

That's not really true in my experience. Particularly in southwestern ON there are a lot of Canadians who love the shit out of the States. Particularly Detroit for reasons I'll never quite understand.

I'm in Cali and I like Canada. Only been to Toronto. It was nice and the people were cool. I want Canada to win the Gold. You dudes are our bros.

LevelNth

Banned
Problem is he might be talking about Molson Canadian, and that would be truly awful
The worst part is would he even drink it anyways? Guy is the biggest square in the world.

At least Justin Trudeau would do a keg stand or something. ELECTION MATERIAL!

Detroit is a wasteland, so I imagine everyone and their grandmother is on a makeshift tire raft right now paddling towards the land of bagged milk and maple syrup.

I visited my friend in Canton, Michigan in October and the neighborhoods there were beautiful. So there are nice places just outside the city. I had a good time in Downtown Detroit too.

RangersFan

In my experience it is. I'm half Canadian. Pops and the majority of my rather large family are all from Mississauga. I've spent every single childhood Summer in Canada from ages 1-20 something, in total around 4 years of my life there. And there was a poster earlier in this thread, an American living in Toronto now who summed it up pretty similarly to what I felt. There is a underlying resentment, anti-americanism, and 2nd city mentality of one upmanship that many Canadians have towards America that doesn't exist in the reverse.

The shit became really apparent every time I would watch the Summer Olympics there with all my Canadian family.

Kazerei

Banned
Bg7rWeJCAAAjdRt.jpg

There is a underlying resentment, anti-americanism, and 2nd city mentality of one upmanship that many Canadians have towards America that doesn't exist in the reverse.

The shit became really apparent every time I would watch the Summer Olympics there with all my Canadian family.

Oh fucking bullshit.

LNBL

In my experience it is. I'm half Canadian. Pops and the majority of my rather large family are all from Mississauga. I've spent every single childhood Summer in Canada from ages 1-20 something, in total around 4 years of my life there. And there was a poster earlier in this thread, an American living in Toronto now who summed it up pretty similarly to what I felt. There is a underlying resentment, anti-americanism, and 2nd city mentality of one upmanship that many Canadians have towards America that doesn't exist in the reverse.

In my experience it is the other way around.

Yawnier

Banned
Managed to catch the last 10 minutes of the game after my Friday afternoon class. Nice win Canada! Looking forward to the game with Sweden Sunday.

RangersFan

Oh fucking bullshit.

I remember even CBC would have to have segments to break down Michael Johnson's and Donovan Bailey's runs, bringing in scientists to prove how much better Bailey was after Johnson shattered the 200m or 400m record. Even though Bailey was in an entirely different 100m event.

Mr.Mike

This picture blew my mind. I had no idea Michigan was that far up.

Is it common that people from Detroit try to swim across the river and become Canadians? Windsor looks quite nice.

Naw, the people in Detroit ran away to the suburbs leaving behind a Detroit filled with whoever couldn't afford to leave and no tax base to fund one of America's major cities. Hence the bankruptcy.

But people in Windsor usually root for Detroit teams, which makes a lot of sense given how close Windsor is to Detroit and the fact that you can take a Windsor city bus across the border to the stadiums and convention centre. (And of course, grab a coney dog from Coney Island while you're over there.)

I remember even CBC would have to have segments to break down Michael Johnson's and Donovan Bailey's runs, bringing in scientists to prove how much better Bailey was after Johnson shattered the 200m or 400m record. Even though Bailey was in an entirely different 100m event.

And Bailey was better

Socreges

Banned
Wow, that was impressive. Canada made the US look like their playthings. Price didn't have to do much, but he was great when he needed to be. And Quick was maybe the best player on the ice. That Benn goal was beautiful, though.

Awesome 1-0 win.

Sounds like you've got a pretty shitty family who loves making generalisations. And you've got their genes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I feel like we rarely even acknowledge Canada as a distinct and separate country. They're more like just another state you'll never go visit, like Montana or North Dakota.

I'm sorry your family sucks.

America is kind of like the jerk team in kids sports movies.

You guys are big, rich, confident, and usually come out on top. Even when the individuals who do win happen to be gracious and decent, there's still the fact that your nation, as a whole, is a powerhouse machine that seems like the asshole to almost everyone competing against them. It's almost impossible to be on top and not have haters.

This is where I realized you were trolling. Everyone knows Canada doesn't participate in the summer Olympics.

It was the Americans claiming that Johnson was the World's Fastest Man that had us questioning why. It was after decades of calling the 100 m champion the World's Fastest Man and now that automatically changes once it's no longer an American.

I'm glad it was settled though in that race at the Skydome.

RangersFan

In my experience it is the other way around.

How is it the other way around? You think the average American in middle America in bumbfuck Iowa spends his day obsessing over Canada? Where as you have Canada consuming American media culture and consumerism, it's easy to understand the mentality one way not the other way around.

How is it the other way around? You think the average American in middle America in bumbfuck Iowa spends his day obsessing over Canada? Where as you have Canada consuming American media culture and consumerism, it's easy to understand the mentality one way not the other way around.

I prefer my Olympic coverage to involve more than just my own country.

railGUN

Banned

I don't obsess over America. In fact, quite the opposite.

And I've lived 5 minutes from the US border for most of my life.

Mission

I think they mean the "we're better than everybody in the ENTIRE WORLD" because we have "FREEDOM" bs.

Socreges

Banned
We consume American consumerism, eh?

It's this kind of global insight that sets the average American apart.

Even if he was it was in irrelevant argument because they competed in different events.

Uh no. The Americans were claiming that Michael Johnson was the fastest man Alive. A title which always goes to the 100m champion. Bailey and Canada took offense. A match was set up for 150m and Bailey destroyed Johnson. He knew he was gonna get schooled and pulled up lame.

Uh no. The Americans were claiming that Michael Johnson was the fastest man Alive. A title which always goes to the 100m champion. Bailey and Canada took offense. A match was set up for 150m and Bailey destroyed Johnson. He knew he was gonna get schooled and pulled up lame.

I remember that. Makes me wonder if Bailey wasn't also faster at the 200m. If I recall, they ran in a straight line, which clearly favors the faster sprinter (Bailey).

It doesn't really matter anymore. The Jamaicans have crapped all over both our nations in recent competitions and will continue to do so.

at least the average Canadian knows the capital of the US, unlike the inverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom