• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
What are people thinking is going to happen?

A ref is going to throw his entire career away by making biased one sided calls that ruin a gold medal game? It is simply not going to happen.

The only issue here is that no matter what happens now, people will blame the refs and taint this whole game.

Kazerei

Banned
A referee and a linesman were Canadian in the USA/Canada game yesterday, but you don't hear the Americans bitching about it.

Nearly all of Canada's games had at least one Canadian official, simply because so many officials are Canadian. Some of USA's games had American officials too. There haven't been questions about impartiality until now. Sigh.

Socreges

Banned
Wait... wait a second. Canadians have, allegedly, the best players. Canadians also, allegedly, have the best refs. These refs are present both in the NHL and international competitions where Canadian players excel. Maybe, perhaps, these Canadian refs are planted in power positions (
by some ominous shadow hockey government??
) in order to always give the advantage to Canadian players!

grampva.png

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not sure why Canadian refs are suddenly such a big deal. We have the best refs in the game, and Canadians have integrity.

fallout

Wait... wait a second. Canadians have, allegedly, the best players. Canadians also, allegedly, have the best refs. These refs are present both in the NHL and international competitions where Canadian players excel. Maybe, perhaps, these Canadian refs are planted in power positions (
by some ominous shadow hockey government??
) in order to always give the advantage to Canadian players!

grampva.png
.... Canadian refs and players are actually reverse vampires! It all make sense now.

jorma

is now taking requests
Unless there's evidence of bias you or anyone can actually show us, this is a completely stupid thing to talk about.

I know a really good way to solve the issue of not having to talk about the potential bias of having referees from the same country as either of the teams playing... a way so good (and obvious!) that pretty much every international sport in existance practice it already.

wighti

For us Finns. Those interviews after the game with Kimmo, Teemu and everyone. Dem feels. Didn't really care for Kunnas as a reporter but his last hug with Selanne almost made it ok. Really felt sincere when Teemu talked about it being an honor to play for the national team.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
:lol

Hopefully this guy is not out on a murder spree, he has some issues.

Congrats Finland. At least one Flame will medal tomorrow. <3 Backs. Or not.

I'm going to be watching that Canadian border control show to see if he's coming over the border to get us lol

Congrats to Finland and to one of my favourite players ever, Teemu Senate.

Nesotenso

It is kind of amusing that even with hockey being their biggest sport, the Canadians can't support an independent domestic league on par with the NHL.

Chris R

Silver and NO MEDAL? Shit needs to change for the USA's head office or something.

Oh well, give me back the NHL please, Avs are doing well this year :(

Nesotenso

It's kind of amusing that you know fuck all about the NHL

One of the fuck alls I know is that most of the franchises still seemed to be based in the US. I am more of a soccer fan and it is a comparable situation with the Canadian federation not setting a domestic league, struggling with Canadians getting minutes in the MLS, then wondering what the fuck happened when Martinique, not recognised by FIFA, beats them. Obviously finding minutes for Canadian talent is less of an issue with the NHL.

Socreges

Banned
One of the fuck alls I know is that most of the franchises still seemed to be based in the US.
Um

Nesotenso said:
I am more of a soccer fan and it is a comparable situation with the Canadian federation not setting a domestic league, struggling with Canadians getting minutes in the MLS, then wondering what the fuck wanted when Martinique not recognised by FIFA beats them.
The hell are you talking about?

One of the fuck alls I know is that most of the franchises still seemed to be based in the US. I am more of a soccer fan and it is a comparable situation with the Canadian federation not setting a domestic league, struggling with Canadians getting minutes in the MLS, then wondering what the fuck happened when Martinique, not recognised by FIFA, beats them. Obviously finding minutes for Canadian talent is less of an issue with the NHL.

Lmao wtf is this

trifelife

It is kind of amusing that even with hockey being their biggest sport, the Canadians can't support an independent domestic league on par with the NHL.

Considering Canada has 1/10th of the population of the US?

There are 60 teams in the CHL and another four in the AHL. Not sure where you'd like these "independent domestic" teams to go. Besides, even if there were such a league, the best players would still go to the NHL to face the best competition and make exponentially more money.

But yeah, amusing.

So you don't know a goddamned thing about the sport or the league, but you still feel like you're informed enough to add to the conversation. Gotcha.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

There's an NHL team in almost every major Canadian city. The US has ten times the population that we do. It only makes sense that they'd have more teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom