• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattilaus

Neo Member
even the swedish players say they don't care, Kronwall welcomed Canadian refs and Canada has had the least powerplays on the tournament aside from Slovakia. that is all in the article posted so why the fuss?

Merguson

Banned
He's a lost cause without Davey Boy.

And this is about Kessel, who had no trouble scoring in other games until it mattered.

He was one of the few USA guys who could generate chances against Canada.

He did look disinterested in in today's game, hell nearly everyone did. Gold or bust, it seemed.

Razorskin

----- ------
largeconstanthuemulk6ue0.gif

"We Won! Throw the napkins!"

calder

Just imagine if it was the other way around.
If all the NHL refs were from Sweden? We wouldn't give a shit.

Make no mistake, NHL players wanted NHL refs and the NHL itself insisted. The nationality of the refs is mostly immaterial except to conspiracy prone fans but the competency of the officials matters a lot. And NHL officials are simply more experienced and consistent than IIHF ones chosen from all around the world to fill out quotas.

But hey Peter Forsberg returns from the grave to whine about officiating before it even happens. What a shock!

Damn it's was emotional to watch interviews of Salo, Timonen and Teemu. All shedding tears. Those guys have given so much in hockey to this small country. No one ever give any chances for the team and yet they battle their way to the medals time after time. It was so close in 2006....Hats off.

zedge

If all the NHL refs were from Sweden? We wouldn't give a shit.

Make no mistake, NHL players wanted NHL refs and the NHL itself insisted. The nationality of the refs is mostly immaterial except to conspiracy prone fans but the competency of the officials matters a lot. And NHL officials are simply more experienced and consistent than IIHF ones chosen from all around the world to fill out quotas.

But hey Peter Forsberg returns from the grave to whine about officiating before it even happens. What a shock!

Good counterpoint. :)

You are
older
and wiser than me. ;)

eyeless

He's a lost cause without Davey Boy.

And this is about Kessel, who had no trouble scoring in other games until it mattered.
let's not talk about how kessel is better than patches we're all canadian this is a happy occasion

edit: remember that time pacioretty pushed chara like a total dick that was pretty cool

Sendou

any iffy calls that go in Canada's favour tomorrow and well never hear the end of it

That's part of the reason why they shouldn't have Canadian referees tomorrow. I remember that there was two Canadian referees in Finland-Canada game too. I think it's a bit of a joke honestly.

Teemu is an amazing athlete, the US isn't as bad as FInland made them look, I feel bad for how this tournament ended for them.

I don't. It seems like some teams aren't interested in bronze no matter what the year or event is. We have seen this over and over again. They just stopped playing.

zroid

Banned
any iffy calls that go in Canada's favour tomorrow and well never hear the end of it

I wouldn't be surprised if the refs double down on avoiding controversial calls going in Canada's favour just to avoid getting blasted. More calls could go in Sweden's favour.*

*not saying this will happen, but it's an equally likely scenario imo

He did look disinterested in in today's game, hell nearly everyone did. Gold or bust, it seemed.

They hadn't played that kind of game yet and it showed. A couple defensive lapses, some bad luck on the 2 penalty shots, and the game was far away from them.

I think it comes down to preparation and team selection. I don't know if the offensive dmen, or Ryan or Okposo, would have made the difference, but I think we all agree that there are some serious questions to be asked of Bylsma, Burke, Poile etc.

That's part of the reason why they shouldn't have Canadian referees tomorrow. I remember that there was two Canadian referees in Finland-Canada game too. I think it's a bit of a joke honestly.

Unless there's evidence of bias you or anyone can actually show us, this is a completely stupid thing to talk about.

wighti

Glad we got the bronze. Fitting to end the career of so many of our greatest on a high note!

Kiitos!

EDIT:

Now go win it like you should Canada!

Socreges

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the refs double down on avoiding controversial calls going in Canada's favour just to avoid getting blasted. More calls could go in Sweden's favour.*

*not saying this will happen, but it's an equally likely scenario imo
True, though I don't think either scenario would happen. They've been here before and because they are among the best at being objective, professional and accurate. If there was a problem in the past, the NHL and IIHF would have prevented this.

Silly Swedes. They are so silly.

_DrMario_

Why wasn't the issue of hometown referees brought up before in 2010 and 2002?

Sweden is so fucking scared, you guys should probably give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom