• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeless

It is kind of amusing that even with hockey being their biggest sport, the Canadians can't support an independent domestic league on par with the NHL.
lklsI5j.gif
LpsTDtC.jpg
zsKvhZy.jpg

Yawnier

Banned
There's an NHL team in almost every major Canadian city. The US has ten times the population that we do. It only makes sense that they'd have more teams.

I don't follow hockey as closely as you guys in NHL-gaf, but it actually is sort of shocking that this is something a person doesn't, or can't realize.

Nesotenso

The hell are you talking about?

that despite it being your number one sport, you have a reliance on the American market.

Similar situation in soccer except that the lack of domestic league hurts Canada more in that sport. The performance in international hockey is not affected despite the NHL being primarily an American league.

It is kind of amusing that even with hockey being their biggest sport, the Canadians can't support an independent domestic league on par with the NHL.

We could, it just doesn't make sense for two largely culturally and economically homogenous regions to not share a league? What would be the advantages of two? Or are you just salty over America losing and need to rationalize?

that despite it being your number one sport, you have a reliance on the American market.

Similar situation in soccer except that the lack of domestic league hurts Canada more in that sport. The performance in international hockey is not affected despite the NHL being primarily an American league.

You really should stop as you have no idea what you are talking about.

Dude what are you talking about.

"Primarily an American league" holy fucking shit.

One of the fuck alls I know is that most of the franchises still seemed to be based in the US. I am more of a soccer fan and it is a comparable situation with the Canadian federation not setting a domestic league, struggling with Canadians getting minutes in the MLS, then wondering what the fuck happened when Martinique, not recognised by FIFA, beats them. Obviously finding minutes for Canadian talent is less of an issue with the NHL.
That has nothing to do with Canadian players getting minutes in the MLS. If the athlete is good, they will play. More of a grass roots level problem.

dude

dude

stop

stop please stop this is getting worse

Nesotenso

not really when the list has American franchises on it.
Dude what are you talking about.

"Primarily an American league" holy fucking shit.

was comparing the situation with the sport I do follow. And an "American league" comment was made by taking a look at the geographic locations of the teams. I really would support the CSA setting up another independent league within their borders to support their program but hockey as a sport doesn't seem to do it at the highest level itself.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
The National in NHL actually refers to the Nation of Canada not America. It is a Canadian league that expanded to America and then became binational.

Anyways NA sports aren't like European sports. We have no problems putting teams in other countries. If Mexico was feasible market there would teams there in the 4 big leagues. If travel to Europe wasn't such a problem I would imagine both the NHL and NBA would want teams in some of the European countries.

I know a really good way to solve the issue of not having to talk about the potential bias of having referees from the same country as either of the teams playing... a way so good (and obvious!) that pretty much every international sport in existance practice it already.

Meh. It's not an issue. You want the best group of referees for the biggest single game in international hockey, and the IOC/IIHF think this crew is that:

“Their nationalities aren’t considered as factors nor should they be; we want the best officials working the medal games,” said Komissarov. “We are fully confident that with their experience and professionalism these officials will do their job well and preserve the integrity of the game.”

And:

The Swedish players themselves said they aren’t concerned about the nationality of the officials.

"I think most referees over [in the NHL] are Canadian, too. They probably support Montreal or Toronto but they don't make any difference there,” said defenseman Erik Karlsson.

"I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall was happy to see two North American refs in the finale. "We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL. We know their standards so I think it's easier for us, too, if the referees are from there.

Lastly, Nesotenso, surely you jest?

Define reliance, aka, what the hell are you talking about?

If the league breaks up into a Canadian league and American league, the Canadian teams would have a larger profit margin than the American teams.

To further this line of reasoning, if only Canadians could play in a Canadian league, and americans in an American league, the Canadian league would be the premier league to watch, much along the lines of the NFL being superior to the CFL.

I can't believe you are saying things this dumb. It's as if your teams devastating loss has created this insane need to rationalize something, anything, idiotic just to feel like America is still the best?

I'm gonna break this down for you because you're a fucking moron.

The league has eleven teams that have a negative operating income.

Care to guess what they all have in common? In American cities.

Money is literally being siphoned from successful Canadian franchises to prop up unsuccessful American franchises.

Spending even a minute actually looking through that list would have given you that information. Of course I'm not surprised you would go out of your way to keep yourself uninformed.

NYR

lol @ some American fans even bothering to talk about having more NHL team in the US the last few pages. So fucking salty, it is embarrassing.

Nesotenso

I'm gonna break this down for you because you're a fucking moron.

The league has eleven teams that have a negative operating income.

Care to guess what they all have in common? In American cities.

Money is literally being siphoned from successful Canadian franchises to prop up unsuccessful American franchises.

Spending even a minute actually looking through that list would have given you that information. Of course I'm not surprised you would go out of your way to keep yourself uninformed.

no need for name calling and being a douche.
If money is being siphoned off from Canadian franchises and the non-profitable ones are dragging the league they could always cut them and move them north where it seems the market would support them. My view is that a cross border league does Canada no good in a sport like soccer and in a sport like hockey it is still a cross border league, albeit that doesn't hurt the national program because of the talent pool invested in Hockey.

It would be prudent to move the discussion elsewhere because I don't derail a thread on olympic hockey when most people would like to talk about tomorrow's gold medal match.

If money is being siphoned off from Canadian franchises and the non-profitable ones are dragging the league they could always cut them and move them north where it seems the market would support them. My view is that a cross border league does Canada in good in a sport like soccer and in a sport like hockey it is still a cross border league, albeit that doesn't hurt the national program because of the talent pool invested in Hockey.

It would be prudent to move the discussion elsewhere because I don't derail a thread on olympic hockey when most people would like to talk about tomorrow's gold medal match.

I'm not name calling. Walking into a thread and spouting off about a topic you clearly don't understand is pretty much a textbook case of being a moron.

If money is being siphoned off from Canadian franchises and the non-profitable ones are dragging the league they could always cut them and move them north where it seems the market would support them. My view is that a cross border league does Canada no good in a sport like soccer and in a sport like hockey it is still a cross border league, albeit that doesn't hurt the national program because of the talent pool invested in Hockey.

Is the first quoted post, an indirect admission, that the second quoted post, was an idiotic statement on your part?

MutFox

Banned
I've seen Nesotenso in other threads...

He has no idea what he's talking about,
but he seems to need to win arguments.
Even though he is wrong.

Don't bother arguing with him.
In his mind he is right,
and has no problem staying ignorant.

I'm wearing my Ducks Selanne jersey :)

Uh oh Latvia

The Associated Press ‏@AP 7m

BREAKING: IOC says Latvian hockey player Vitalijs Pavlovs fails doping test at Sochi Olympics. #Sochi2014

Socreges

Banned
You are all over the place. I honestly have no idea what you're saying now or how it is supposed to relate to your previous arguments.

Nesotenso said:
Indeed. Prudent.

Kazerei

Banned

The NHL started as a Canada-only league and then expanded in to the U.S. Sort of like how the NBA and MLB were U.S.-only and then expanded in to Canada.

The fact that there are now more U.S.-based NHL teams is due to the massive population difference.

Where in Canada would you put these teams? The population is very concentrated in a handful of cities, almost all of which already have a team

Quebec City? Regina? London? Halifax? Hamilton? Meh

Maybe another team in the Toronto area

Even though he is wrong.

In his mind he is right,
Fanaticism is one hell of a drug.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forbes: The NHL's Most Valuable Teams said:
For the first time since Forbes began tracking NHL team values in 1998, three of the league’s five most valuable teams–Toronto Maple Leafs($1.15 billion), Montreal Canadiens ($775 million), Vancouver Canucks ($700 million)–are Canadian.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/11/25/the-nhls-most-valuable-teams/

Canada is perfectly capable of having a league on its own. I can't wait for the Olympics to be over so we can go back to the NHL thread and not deal with these know nothing casuals.

Even though he is wrong.

In his mind he is right,
So like a certain Vancouver Canucks poster. Got it.

Even though he is wrong.

In his mind he is right,

As an American I support this post. Just ignore him.

I got too drunk last night and missed the game but man Finland fucking murder US. :(

Where in Canada would you put these teams? The population is very concentrated in a handful of cities, almost all of which already have a team

Quebec City? Regina? London? Halifax? Hamilton? Meh

Maybe another team in the Toronto area

Total aside, but I'd love London or K/W to get a team.

Nesotenso

Is the first quoted post, an indirect admission, that the second quoted post, was an idiotic statement on your part?

I was ignorant about the financial situation about the NHL. But second post you quote was more based on the geographic location of the teams in the NHL. Seems to me that there should more than 7 teams if small markets in Canada are that healthy.

Nesotenso

Even though he is wrong.

In his mind he is right,

pray tell what those threads are.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Or they can take the time to learn about the sport/league and join NHL-Gaf because hockey is awesome

I'm all for people learning about hockey and the NHL, but there's a 'I don't know much, what can you guys tell me about', or 'I thought it was...because...', and then there's that shit post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom