• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

I've seen Nesotenso in other threads...

He has no idea what he's talking about,
but he seems to need to win arguments.
Even though he is wrong.

Don't bother arguing with him.
In his mind he is right,
and has no problem staying ignorant.

pray tell what those threads are.

As an American I support this post. Just ignore him.

I got too drunk last night and missed the game but man Finland fucking murder US. :(

you just have an issue with everything in the MCU dude.

So dumb. Do you even pay attention to what I post? Have been in the comic book thread or the GotG thread?
yeah, but I do know we disagree more often than not.

Or they can take the time to learn about the sport/league and join NHL-Gaf because hockey is awesome

I would post a lot more but I never get to see the games being on campus 9 hours a day on non-lab days. Anyways, I should be going to a Kings game next month though.

you just have an issue with everything in the MCU dude.

So dumb. Do you even pay attention to what I post? Have been in the comic book thread or the GotG thread?

Socreges

Banned
I was ignorant about the financial situation about the NHL. But second post you quote was more based on the geographic location of the teams in the NHL. Seems to me that there should more than 7 teams if small markets in Canada are that healthy.
Maybe.* Teams aren't moved easily, though, and there are multiple arguments against expansion.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

All 6 Canadian cities on that list already have healthy NHL teams.

Nesotenso

Maybe.* Teams aren't moved easily, though, and there are multiple arguments against expansion.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

All 6 Canadian cities on that list already have healthy NHL teams.

have two in the bigger population centers. but yes, there is going to be an emotional component to it as well

Nesotenso, you shouldn't take about Canadian soccer since you dont know shit about the country.

now that I know more about.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I was ignorant about the financial situation about the NHL. But second post you quote was more based on the geographic location of the teams in the NHL. Seems to me that there should more than 7 teams if small markets in Canada are that healthy.

Obviously in retrospect there can easily be more NHL teams in Canada. I mean Toronto and its outlying suburbs could easily support 2 maybe even 3 more teams. But why would the Leafs ever want or let happen? Montreal could easily support another team but why would the Canadiens ever want that to happen?

Quebec City will probably get there team back in a couple of years but other then that there really isn't a place you can put a team in the future unless you go into the Leafs or Canadiens territory.

Nesotenso

....what?

NM, don't care

fans of the existing teams might not be happy with relocation.

and I said two teams in the larger population centers because it sets up the possibility of intra-city rivalries /derbies and being in Canadian cities would probably leave them better off financially.

_DrMario_

HFEdNzr.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to interrupt the series of terrible posts to post TEEEEEMMMMUUUUUH ok thanks bye

Does anybody even hate this guy? He has always been one of my favorites in the past and it was nuts during that span where he was scoring on a breakaway at the end of the game. I was live for one of those and ho lee shit!

The only sore point for me is that Teemu got the Cup while Kariya never did.

Obviously in retrospect there can easily be more NHL teams in Canada. I mean Toronto and its outlying suburbs could easily support 2 maybe even 3 more teams. But why would the Leafs ever want or let happen? Montreal could easily support another team but why would the Canadiens ever want that to happen?

Quebec City will probably get there team back in a couple of years but other then that there really isn't a place you can put a team in the future unless you go into the Leafs or Canadiens territory.

Montreal cannot support a 2nd team, it's a one franchise town.
Despite having an CFL and MLS team, Montreal is just about the Habs. They let the Expos go and lost a MLB team.

2ndly, the city is not growing, Toronto has been gobbling up big company head offices since the 80s. The GTA is continusouy expanding area, the greater Montreal area has stunted.

eyeless

fans of the existing teams might not be happy with relocation.

and I said two teams in the larger population centers because it sets up the possibility of intra-city rivalries /derbies and being in Canadian cities would probably leave them better off financially.
thanks for all these business ideas for expanding the nhl that you suddenly and coincidentally have in the olympic hockey thread the day after the us loses to canada and on the day they lose the bronze medal game 5-0

you should send bettman an e-mail

Spl1nter

I wonder if Newfoundland, PEI or NS could support an NHL team.

St.John's is really far away and population is to small. Brantford has a bigger population than PEI. Halifax would be the closest. Im sure they could fill 15,000 person arena but ticket prices probably couldn't generate enough revenue. Plus it would kill a top CHL franchise.

zroid

Banned
St.John's is really far away and population is to small. Brantford has a bigger population than PEI. Halifax would be the closest. Im sure they could fill 15,000 person arena but ticket prices probably couldn't generate enough revenue. Plus it would kill a top CHL franchise.

I wonder if a team to collectively represent the Maritime provinces would be feasible (or desired). I think it could work if situated and marketed well. Moncton, perhaps?

Teemu (Canada Cup 1991)
teemu640x384_zps2fa8b625.jpg

First year that Teemu played in international men's tournament (also played in World Championships 1991). Finland was third. Teemu made two points.

Teemu (Sochi 2014)
Teemu+Sel%C3%A4nne.jpg

His sixth olympics (not to mention he missed 1994 olympics because NHL players didn't yet participate in olympics), all time points leader in olympics (43 points) and two of those in last game. Oldest ice hockey player to win a olympic medal (previous record was Igor Larionov in salt lake city). Finland was again third.

What an athlete.

Spl1nter

I wonder if a team to collectively represent the Maritime provinces would be feasible (or desired). I think it could work if situated well. Moncton, perhaps?

Move the team around lol, 15 games in St John's, 15 is Halifax, 15 in Moncton/Saint Johns. (obviously +- since only 41 home games).

I think realistically for any centralized location the distances would still be too far. I know it was proposed for a Saskatchewan team saying that people would drive 2-3 hours to see a game, therefore it would work population wise.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So uh....

TTEEEEEEEMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUU

and wtf is this guy who doesn't understand the NHL even talking about, jesus

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It seems as if Nesotenso doesn't really grasp the whole population thing. Look at it this way, the entire New York metro area has a population just 10 million less than all of Canada. The metro areas of NY and LA have a combined population greater than all of Canada. Just think about that for a second.

I don't even understand where you were going with the independent domestic league thing. It's really a poor troll attempt. What reason do Canadians have to support an independent professional domestic league when we already have the NHL?

Does the US support a second independent domestic professional football league? I mean there's the AFL... but they had to declare bankruptcy at the start of this decade. That's some great support right there.

Teemu (Canada Cup 1991)
teemu640x384_zps2fa8b625.jpg

First year that Teemu played in international men's tournament (also played in World Championships 1991). Finland was third. Teemu made two points.

Teemu (Sochi 2014)
Teemu+Sel%C3%A4nne.jpg

His sixth olympics (not to mention he missed 1994 olympics because NHL player didn't yet participate in olympics), all time points leader in olympics (43 points) and two of those in last game. Oldest ice hockey player to win a olympic medal (previous record was Igor Larionov in salt lake city). Finland was again third.

What an athlete.

The man seriously doesn't age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom