• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

ztxm0Vw.gif

Jake.

i've never watched ice hockey before (australia) but this is awesome. i know of hockey fights but i've never really understood it - in the nhl do they just let dudes duke it out? why? any other sport they would break it up or at least attempt to.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Slovenia is 17th in the world rankings, less then 2 million people, 7 rinks and 1 professional team. Pretty great stuff from them today.

And that only professional team should be written as "professional" because it is on life support and players got maybe 1 salary since September.

Madness

i've never watched ice hockey before (australia) but this is awesome. i know of hockey fights but i've never really understood it - in the nhl do they just let dudes duke it out? why? any other sport they would break it up or at least attempt to.

If you can try and stop it before the refs do, but most likely they let it go while the fists are flying, if someone falls they break it up, if it's more grappling they'll step in and go, okay.

It's a good way to get the "bad blood/frustration" out, and it let's people know there are repercussions for poor play. Fighting is almost always consensual and no one really holds a grudge after. You go and sit in the penalty box, or go in the dressing room. It's less accepted in international play, than in the NHL/Juniors/college level.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Every time I see Nichushkin play, I get more depressed that Bergevin didn't trade to move up and draft him. He's exactly what we need.

In the NHL (North American League) they let them go most of the time, people usually fight when a guy on the opposing team makes a dirty hit, or if you're getting blown out to try and get your guys in the game. Players say it's used as a sort of self policing system, which can be argued.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm new to hockey and this entire sentence doesn't make sense to me, well except PP.
PP = Powerplay, usually teams have two different groups of 5 players that make up two power play units. Russia's top power play unit had Ovechkin and Kovalchuk who have two of the best shots in the entire world, Datsyuk who is arguably the best stick handler and play maker in the world, and Markov on the point who is one of the best power play quarterbacks in the tournament. When I said it was disgusting, I was just referring to how much talent is on it.

Arjen

Didnt realize there was a separate hockey thread. My allegiance is for sale. Watching Olympic hockey made me realize I need to start following NHL again.

Power Play.

When a team commits a penalty that team loses a player and the other team has a two minute man advantage.

PP = Powerplay, usually teams have two different groups of 5 players that make up two power play units. Russia's top power play unit had Ovechkin and Kovalchuk who have two of the best shots in the entire world, Datsyuk who is arguably the best stick handler and play maker in the world, and Markov on the point who is one of the best power play quarterbacks in the tournament. When I said it was disgusting, I was just referring to how much talent is on it.

Thank you both!

RangersFan

watching carlson and martin let radulov just walk into the crease like that makes me glad for the first time orpik is there. mcd suter and orpik shifts are the only ones where i'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom