• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Smellies win!

The results are great but the Swiss do kinda exemplify the most defensive, neutral zone lock, big ice sort of European hockey. Have all three of their games been 1-0?

Edit - and yeah the Czech coaching is mind boggling. So was the roster selection.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
buncha smellys beat the czechs?!

HOW DOES IT FEEL NOW, JAGR?! HUH?! HOW DOES IT FUCKING FEEL TO LOSE TO A BUNCH OF SMELLYS! THAT'S REVENGE FOR NAGANO, BI-YACH!

zroid

Banned
Idgaf about "Putin's gold" but a gold at home would be amazing for Russians. Obviously I'm supporting Canada foremost, but after the euphoria in 2010 I can really relate to how great it would be for them to take the win. So if we can't, I hope they manage it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
HILLER SHUTOUT PENISES ALL OVER MY FACE AGAIN

WOOOOOOOOOOO

1 goal against in three prelim games.

WOOOOOOOOOOO

calder

right now it's looking likely that they will meet earlier than that.

it'll likely be

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. U.S.A
4. Russia

after the round robin.

Way too early to be predicting the top 4 teams after the group stage. Finland could easily beat Canada tomorrow etc.

But finishing first would be a huge benefit, playing the winner of the 8th vs 9th matchup in the quarterfinal would be nice.

calder

buncha smellys beat the czechs?!

HOW DOES IT FEEL NOW, JAGR?! HUH?! HOW DOES IT FUCKING FEEL TO LOSE TO A BUNCH OF SMELLYS! THAT'S REVENGE FOR NAGANO, BI-YACH!
Haha good to see I'm not the only one still salty about the Czechs. Even more annoying was their collective smug douchbaggery after they won a couple of Worlds post Nagano. Seeing them suck ass the last few years at all levels has been pleasing.

Smiley90

hehe

If we score a bit more we could even reach the medal games.

Eh, I kind of doubt that this kind of defense is gonna be possible against the likes of Canada/USA/Russia, and we'll have an even harder time scoring against those teams too. Reaching the quarter final is usually as much as we're capable of. Our offense scares me. :/ But still. With a bit of luck.... who knows.

HILLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

2 starts, 2 shutouts.

Way too early to be predicting the top 4 teams after the group stage. Finland could easily beat Canada tomorrow etc.

But finishing first would be a huge benefit, playing the winner of the 8th vs 9th matchup in the quarterfinal would be nice.

finland are without their top 4 centres.

m. koivu
filppula
barkov
s. koivu

all out.

rask could steal the game though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I kind of doubt that this kind of defense is gonna be possible against the likes of Canada/USA/Russia, and we'll have an even harder time scoring against those teams too. Reaching the quarter final is usually as much as we're capable of. Our offense scares me. :/ But still. With a bit of luck.... who knows.

HILLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

2 starts, 2 shutouts.
Turin, Italy.
Always possible.

patapuf

HILLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

2 starts, 2 shutouts.

We've done it the last olympics and 2006 too so i'm hopeful.

One goal will probably not be enough though. We'll have to score at least two :p

Smiley90

Turin, Italy.
Always possible.

I will never forget that game, trust me. But yeah we still lost in the quarter finals that tournament. :p

We've done it the last olympics and 2006 too so i'm hopeful.

One goal will probably not be enough though. We'll have to score at least two :p

That's what worries me. Defense AND offense will be better on those teams, so us just winning 1-0 will require a LOT of luck. We'll see!

finland are without their top 4 centres.

m. koivu
filppula
barkov
s. koivu

all out.

rask could steal the game though.

Granlund is better than Saku and it could be argued he's better than both Barkov and Filppula, but even with the injuries Finland's center depth was better than their wingers, forcing Granlund to wing.

I imagine that he's going to play top center now and will probably be even better than he was already playing at wing.

Oh, and Smelly don't worry Nino will lead your team to victory.

Granlund is better than Saku and it could be argued he's better than both Barkov and Filppula, but even with the injuries Finland's center depth was better than their wingers, forcing Granlund to wing.

I imagine that he's going to play top center now and will probably be even better than he was already playing at wing.

Oh, and Smelly don't worry Nino will lead your team to victory.

Yeah. Granlund will be probably the center in first line now with Selänne and J.Jokinen as wingers. Second line will be same as before and two last lines will be mix of KHL men. Still it takes maximum performance from defense and great game from Rask to have any chance against Canada. Of course Canada could also have bad game ( underestimating Finland etc.)

Uncle

I think the finnish commentators said that the first line would be J.Jokinen-Granlund-Selänne, but I have no idea if it was mere speculation or not.

OSH!!! FUCK ALL OF YOU THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT OSHIE OVER BABBY. TRUE AMERICAN HERO.

6nDNtVo.png

I can't believe it came down to TJ fucking Oshie.

He used to be my favorite college player when he was at ND, fucking owned my Badgers every time he played them, and honestly hasn't done much in the NHL since he joined the Blues.

Fuck this all the way to the bank. Watch more NHL.

Cat Party

Just finished watching the US-Russia game on DVR. Pavelski with the huge goal, Brown with the dirty hit that gave the Russians the chance to tie the game.

So basically, nothing new.

Blader

Just finished watching USA/Russia, goddamn that shootout was tense. Even though I knew the result I thought Oshie got it in the 4th or something, didn't know it went all the way to the 8th. Think my heart would have stopped if I had seen that live :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my DVR recording of USA-Russia, which I was thankfully able to go into blind. Holy shit. Oshie!!!!

Cally and McD had monster games. Kesler was an absolute warrior. JVR and Pavelski had huge games, too. Even still, it really looked like Russia's game more often than not.

What an excellent game for an opening rounder. Really felt like a medal round game. Physical, intense, exciting. Just a bit of everything.

That said, I hope we avoid Russia from here on out. They're going to be out for revenge.

EDIT: Almost forgot, fuck Dustin Brown.

lupin23rd

Fuck 4 goals in a shoot out, my favorite Oshie moment is when he broke his stick in OT against the canucks, and went to the bench while in the defending zone, leaving Daniel Sedin wide open to take a pass and score the game winner.

I guess he's alright when he doesn't have to defend against legit players ;)

SA-X

So assuming I'm understanding the rules/standings correctly, as long as the US/Russia both win tomorrow, and Canada does not win in overtime, it's highly likely that Canada/Russia will meet in either the quarterfinals or more likely the semifinals, and the US won't have to play either of them again unless they make it to a medal game. And even if Canada does win in OT, they'll have to play the US instead of Russia.

Hope you enjoyed playing in the easy group, Canada! :) Of course now that I say this something idiotic will happen tomorrow or the US will get upset by the Swiss in the quarters, lol.

zroid

Banned
Hope you enjoyed playing in the easy group, Canada! :) Of course now that I say this something idiotic will happen tomorrow or the US will get upset by the Swiss in the quarters, lol.

Gotta say, with the way the Czechs have been playing, pretty sure Group C ended up being the easy group. Finland would've kicked their asses.

Smiley90

So, looking at the tournament structure...

Assuming Russia and the US win their last games, Switzerland will end up as 6D... And will probably face either Slovakia or the loser of Austria/Norway in the qualification round. And will then probably face the US in the quarters if we win. MHMMMMMM. Meanwhile if Canada wins and gets first spot they'll probably face Slovenia or the winner of Austria/Norway in the quarterfinals.

yuraya

right now it's looking likely that they will meet earlier than that.

it'll likely be

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. U.S.A
4. Russia

after the round robin.

Canada vs Russia in the semifinals is going to be big. The end result will produce a lot of salt worldwide lol either way the possibile gold medal game of Russia/Canada vs USA will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom