• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fun game this morning, also glad Bob still played well.

We still love you bob!
d23440923e1101d1c358d1aadc05eb52.png

Russia's much maligned "weak" defense held up pretty well against the US. Imagine how good the Oilers must be if Belov can barely get a game?

Don't get to watch a lot of hockey but when I do I love it. Couple questions though.

How many lines do teams normally have, each for offense and defense? And do teams ever put their best players on second lines? I only ask because when I watch the Bruins I feel like Bergeron is an absolute stud but plays second line?

Red_Man

Don't get to watch a lot of hockey but when I do I love it. Couple questions though.

How many lines do teams normally have, each for offense and defense? And do teams ever put their best players on second lines? I only ask because when I watch the Bruins I feel like Bergeron is an absolute stud but plays second line?
4 offensive lines, 3 defensive pairings. Boston has 2 great first line centers, most teams don't have 2 guys or even 1 of their quality.

fallout

Yeah, a forward line consists of 1 centre, 1 right wing, 1 left wing. If you have 2 great centres, you wouldn't put them on the same line. Also, some players just lick better together. For a team to be successful, you generally need at least 2 decent scoring lines.

Quick

Banned

4 forward lines, 3 defense lines.

You have a left wing, centre and right wing for each forward line, and a left and right defenceman for the defense lines.

Lines are made up based on chemistry and their potential matchup against the opposing team. Not always about the best skilled being at the top line. There's also balancing out your lines. Lines also aren't set in stone once the game starts. Coaches adjust constantly on the fly.

Defense is a bit more solidified with the pairings. Your top D pairing would be your best, and usually matched up against the opponent's top line. Again, it's not set in stone, so coaches can adjust based on game conditions as it goes on.

Parch

International rules say that after the first 3 shooters you can have whoever you want shoot from there on out.
Which is a really stupid rule actually. You'd think they'd want to challenge the depth of the team and force as many players as possible to be in the shootout.

One player's skill is not representative of the team's overall talent. Imagine if multiple shootouts from Kopitar was the reason Slovenia beats a much better team.

Quick

Banned
Which is a really stupid rule actually. You'd think they'd want to challenge the depth of the team and force as many players as possible to be in the shootout.

One player's skill is not representative of the team's overall talent. Imagine if multiple shootouts from Kopitar was the reason Slovenia beats a much better team.

Yeah, I don't like the lack of restriction to player selection for the shootout. Something to address for the next IIHF competition.

On that note, the NHL really needs to get rid of the fucking trapezoid.

If a team was much better then they should have been able to show it in the preceding 65 minutes.

ShaneB

Shootouts are stupid period.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't like the lack of restriction to player selection for the shootout. Something to address for the next IIHF competition.

On that note, the NHL really needs to get rid of the fucking trapezoid.

Yes, let Price get out there to play the puck properly like he can in international play... Oh wait.

Quick

Banned
Shootouts are stupid period.

I'm fine with it for the regular season. I don't have issues with it, and the NHL's broadcasters probably prefer this, too.

Alternatively, I'd do 5-minute 4-on-4 for the first OT, and 3-on-3 for the second OT and onward.

Quick

Banned
Yes, let Price get out there to play the puck properly like he can in international play... Oh wait.

:lol

You have a good number of NHL goalies that skate out to the boards just by the goal line to intercept the puck anyway. The trapezoid is a pointless restriction.

ShaneB

I'm fine with it for the regular season. I don't have issues with it, and the NHL's broadcasters probably prefer this, too.

Alternatively, I'd do 5-minute 4-on-4 for the first OT, and 3-on-3 for the second OT and onward.

Normally agree with you, but for the Olympics, and knowing they have another game in 24 hours, I was ok with the shootout.

I see the logic and understand it being in the game, but nothing compares to sudden death ot marathons, so it's just a bit of a downer knowing a game has to end in a lame shootout.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Brodeur will be busy getting his sack lathered by his sister-in-law/wife, so we won't have to deal with the boring trap with a third defencemen from fucking NJ anymore.

With Silfverbergs assist today every Ducks skater has at least one point at the Olympics and Hiller has two shutouts.

And Vatanen is tied for first in the entire games in points. Crazy.

Red_Man

Think I'm going to skip the US game and catch up on some sleep, US should steam roll Slovenia.

Kane kept getting shut down pretty quickly.
He's been trying to stick handle through too many guys, and make way too fancy plays all tournament. His pass to Pavelski was a thing of beauty though.

Socreges

Banned
Kane kept getting shut down pretty quickly.
Thus why most would prefer to have Toews over Kane on their team (our conversation from earlier). If Kane gets shut down, he's not really doing much else for you.

He had a sweet cross-ice pass in today's game, though, IIRC. (edit: mentioned by red...)

Socreges

Banned
Was able to watch some of Canada/Austria and Russia/US on CBC's site. Gonna try and watch the recording of Canada/Finland, too, but avoiding the result during those hours in-between will be tough...

Red_Man

Miller starting for the US today, looks like I was wrong about Quick running with it at this point. I'm assuming it's due to it being a back to back situation.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
SOCHI -- Alexander Radulov might be scratched for Russia's game Sunday against Slovakia, coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov said through an interpreter following the 3-2 shootout loss to the United States on Saturday.

"We expected more out of him," Bilyaletdinov said. "He was not really living up to his expectation today. Scratched? Yeah, he needs to be scratched, among other things."

RIP Radulov.

ZeroGravity

What else does Kunitz have to do to get scratched, does he literally have to score an own goal to be even worse?
Scratching Kunitz would be admitting they fucked up. I can see Babcock willing to lose a chance at gold than do that.

EDIT: Apparently they're splitting Crosby and Kunitz. That makes even LESS SENSE.

Red_Man

Price starting. Pretty much sets him in as the #1 unless he fucks up.

More like Badulov.

EDIT: Subban and St. Louis are the scratches for Team Canada

GG Babcock
Unreal. Both should be locks for the team. Honestly, Peitrangelo should be the one sitting, I haven't seen anything from him to warrant all the hype he gets so far in this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom