• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So to confirm, what's the breakdown:

1) Sweden vs X
2) USA vs X
3) Canada vs Switzerland / Latvia
4) Finland vs X

Can someone fill in the X's?

And looks like a real good potential semi finals barring any surprises. North America semis and Scandinavia series

1) Sweden vs Austria/Slovenia
2) USA vs Czech Republic/Slovakia
3) Canada vs Switzerland / Latvia
4) Finland vs Russia/Norway

You honestly think Hamhuis is better than Vlasic?

Pietrangelo can sit for Subban.

Holy fuck, Doughty is a machine.

Subban should be playing instead of Pietrangelo, or on the left side. He could play left, but Babcock has his head up his ass and refuses to adjust.

It's Babcock logic. He hasn't touched Keith-Weber or Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo and he's not going to unless their play drops off a cliff.

I've hardly seen Hamhuis play so it's mostly a moot point.

As long as Canada keeps winning they won't change the lineup.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
USA strength of schedule much better than Canada's thus far. Russia is a better team than Finland. Slovakia and Slovenia are much better than Norway/Austria. Please...
Much better? Kessel had one secondary assist in the Russia game and was otherwise a no show, and has 5 goals against Slovakia, and Slovenia, much lesser opponents. When he's not scoring he's not doing anything else, take off your homer glasses.

calder

The Swiss are basically the Finns, bit less overall talent, even stronger commitment to total defense. Expect a one goal game :p

calder

Hopefully everyone who saw a couple of early blowouts first days of the tourney and was saying the NHL needs big ice remembers all the 1-0 and 2-1 games since.

It's Babcock logic. He hasn't touched Keith-Weber or Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo and he's not going to unless their play drops off a cliff.

I've hardly seen Hamhuis play so it's mostly a moot point.

As long as Canada keeps winning they won't change the lineup.

Bouwmeester and Perry looked shaky as fuck in the third.

NYR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_tournament#Bracket

nbKP4YL.png

EDIT: Wow, terrible resolution, thanks imgur.
So basically it will be CAN-USA and SWE-RUS. Interesting. I can see a CAN-RUS final, USA wins Bronze.

calder

I think if Latvia gets an early goal, or at least doesn't give up one, they can upset the Smellies.

And I won't count out Finland. Russia hasn't exactly impressed anyone so far, although you can argue they are better at playing against low chance passive defensive teams than Canada.

cube444

lawl Friedman goading Crosby. "You're the world's best player, why can't they find you linemates?"

It's hilarious how Sid is always protected from criticism. Carter was moved off his line in game 2 and gets a hat-trick.

It's never Sid. It's the refs, a hot goalie, a bad bounce, that rut in the ice, that non-call from the ref.

See last season against the Bruins in the playoffs.

Avoid Canada and US until the final. Finland without their centers in the quarters then Sweden without two superstars in the semis. Thank you based Putin.

Sendou

Avoid Canada and US until the final. Finland without their centers in the quarters then Sweden without two superstars in the semis. Thank you based Putin.

Myself I would be very surprised if Russia makes it to the finals. From what I have seen they have been very unimpressive. USA has probably shown best game so far.

Piecake

So, how come Germany sucks at hockey? Kinda weird seeing all of the nations surrounding it being a lot better at it when Germany is so much bigger

i don't think that Canada have their shit together yet regarding the Crosby line.

Focusing too much on him.

*I doubt Russia will get passed Finland

Slurmer

Banned
Myself I would be very surprised if Russia makes it to the finals. From what I have seen they have been very unimpressive. USA has probably shown best game so far.
To be fair, they would've beaten USA in regulation if that goal hadn't been disallowed. If Russia turns it on now that its elimination time, I won't be surprised to see them in the finals.

Yeah, but for being a 5th seed that's as favourable a road to the final as you can ask for.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's a bit scary of a thing that we don't have real competition for 4 days and then all of sudden it's the USA.

fuck you Tabris. so much.

Jonas Hiller is your competition.

Swiss always fuck with Canada

Aren't the Swiss known for upsets? I'm not going to take them lightly.

Switzerland will be trouble for Canada if they play like Finland does.

The Swiss are basically the Finns, bit less overall talent, even stronger commitment to total defense. Expect a one goal game :p

we'll probably lose but WOOOOOOOOOOOO thanks for the acknowledgements. :lol

TURIN 2006

also nearly again in 2010.

NYR

Russia will need to play perfect to get past Finland and play beyond perfect to get past Sweden. Russia is the most likely to be upset.

ZeroGravity

I'm actually okay without a Canada/US final. I think them meeting in the semis could be even better, given a chance to possibly finish without a medal is on the line.

Canada/Russia or US/Russia would be a great final though, for a number of reasons.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully everyone who saw a couple of early blowouts first days of the tourney and was saying the NHL needs big ice remembers all the 1-0 and 2-1 games since.

Yeah people continue to believe it would increase scoring because they remember Canada dominating shitty teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom