• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's embarrassing the way Crosby being the Best Hockey Player Alive (tm) is treated. If you're not going to be modest about it then fucking own it and maybe generate some offence.

yyzjohn

Banned
It's embarrassing the way Crosby being the Best Hockey Player Alive (tm) is treated. If you're not going to be modest about it then fucking own it and maybe generate some offence.

Maybe if he was on the Leafs I would love the guy but there's just something about Crosby that bugs the shit out of me. Seems like such a prima donna whiner.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Maybe if he was on the Leafs I would love the guy but there's just something about Crosby that bugs the shit out of me. Seems like such a prima donna whiner.

That's it.

Apparently he's like that in person too, coming from people that have met him/worked with him during the Vancouver Olympics.

zroid

Banned
I don't really have a problem with Crosby, he's always seemed gracious enough in the interviews I've seen. It's more the way he's raised on a pedestal which bothers me.

The ridiculous decisions made by the Canadian coaching staff and management in advance of and during the Olympics are proof of that.

(edit: then again, maybe I just haven't been seeing the right interviews, hah)

MutFox

Banned

He is, he even said they hope they can find a linemate that can help him generate offense.
A good captain would own it up and put the team on his back.

Yeah he scored the Golden goal, but the team didn't get to that position because of him.
Also, the year he won a Stanley Cup, it was because Malkin put the team on his back.

What a chump.

Samyy

Crosby - the worst best player in the world ever!

But seriously he has done fuck all in the Olympics, great he scored the "golden goal" but it was the rest of the team Canada that had to get them to that game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Lot of folks said the same thing Gretzky.

Would I love him on the Leafs? Fuck, yes. However, I'm still able to like and appreciate players on another team.

Some of my faves include, Toews (have his team Canada jersey), Iginla, Weber, hell, I even like Miller.

But goddamn Crosby is a whiner...even if part of it is justified given how everybody has been taking runs at him.

Samyy

Would I love him on the Leafs? Fuck, yes. However, I'm still able to like and appreciate players on another team.

Some of my faves include, Toews (have his team Canada jersey), Iginla, Weber, hell, I even like Miller.

But goddamn Crosby is a whiner...even if part of it is justified given how everybody has been taking runs at him.

:lol I still remember him getting all bitchy about Kadri this season

It worries me that the forwards seem completely content to stick to the boards, cycle the puck and continually look for the perfect pass, when it seems like the best chances are from when they drive the net in numbers.

Or maybe I'm not giving Finland (and Norway) enough credit.

calder

I have no problem with Crosby. And he *is* the best player in the world.

Maybe it's just because I remember how hated Gretzky was when he played (especially by me) and how unpopular Lemieux was until late in his career (couldn't stand the guy).

You can tell I'm bored because I fired up GCL and I'm watching the condensed highlights of all the Jets games since Maurice was hired in January. So much offense in those first games, dropping 5 goals all over the damn place.

ZeroGravity

It's easy to point to Crosby, and yes he needs to be better, but he's far from the only one. When your defense has more goals than all your forwards combined, that's a huge problem.

Samyy

It's easy to point to Crosby, and yes he needs to be better, but he's far from the only one. When your defense has more goals than all your forwards combined, that's a huge problem.

But he is our best player, our first line centre, our captain, significant team decisions were made around HIM. He has to step up.
Toews, Getzlaf and a host of others did last time around, he's been bad both times so far.

If theres a problem with the offence isn't the best player supposed to be the spark? Stop fucking making excuses for him.

MutFox

Banned
But he is our best player, our first line centre, our captain, significant team decisions were made around HIM. He has to step up.
Toews, Getzlaf and a host of others did last time around, he's been bad both times so far.

If theres a problem with the offence isn't the best player supposed to be the spark? Stop fucking making excuses for him.

Crosby is already making excuses for himself, no one has to do it for him.
He just needs the media to agree with him, which they do.

It's never him, others bring him down.
Seriously, we took Kunitz over someone like Giroux for him and his whining.

3N16MA

Banned
He is, he even said they hope they can find a linemate that can help him generate offense.

Yeah he scored the Golden goal, but the team didn't get to that position because of him.
Also, the year he won a Stanley Cup, it was because Malkin put the team on his back.

What a chump.

Malkin was great (better than Crosby) but let's not pretend that Crosby was some chump who was just along for the ride. 103 points in the regular season and 31 in the playoffs.

He did not generate much in the finals and he was off the ice in game 7 but he was a vital part of that championship.

yyzjohn

Banned

Hell I can appreciate other talents on other teams too, that's not it. It's not cause he's not a Leaf that he bugs me, he just plain bugs me. I love Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, etc just not Crosby.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
When Teemu tells you to stop diving, you know you're doing something wrong.

I know, but I just wanted a chance to point out that the Swiss D are currently the best and that Hiller is currently the hottest goaltender.

*waves and winks at Smiley* ;x

WOOOOOO

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is there an updated schedule anywhere out there now? Going to be flying out Tuesday and I have to figure out what games I'll have to dvr and avoid scores for.

Big-E

What a chump.

This is all true. Crosby wasn't even the best player on his team. "Best in the world" has failed to show up when it matters.

3N16MA

Banned
Is there an updated schedule anywhere out there now? Going to be flying out Tuesday and I have to figure out what games I'll have to dvr and avoid scores for.

Tuesday 18th (ET)

3:00 AM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, RUS vs NOR
7:30 AM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, SUI vs LAT
12:00 PM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, SLO vs AUT
12:00 PM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, CZE vs SVK

Crosby is already making excuses for himself, no one has to do it for him.
He just needs the media to agree with him, which they do.

It's never him, others bring him down.
Seriously, we took Kunitz over someone like Giroux for him and his whining.
Couldn't agree with this more, Crosby needs to man up take some accountability and put the puck in the net. I am tired of team canada wasting time on whose playing with Crosby.

Curufinwe

But he is our best player, our first line centre, our captain, significant team decisions were made around HIM.

Around him... by him. Picking Kunitz ahead of MSL and Giroux is indefensible. Two guys who can create offense out of nothing on their own.

Merguson

Banned
839395546.gif

asshole took kessel's stick :(

It's a team sport and pretty much all of Canada's forwards suck. Not sure why he gets singled out. I hope they figure it out, Canada always starts slow.

I blame Kunitz.

Red_Man

Tuesday 18th (ET)

3:00 AM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, RUS vs NOR
7:30 AM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, SUI vs LAT
12:00 PM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, SLO vs AUT
12:00 PM Ice Hockey Men's Ice Hockey, Qualification Match for Quarterfinal, CZE vs SVK
Thanks.

Stasis

This American team has been fun to watch, even during odd moments of being sloppy vs. Slovenia. Seemed they were a little too confident and lazy with the puck sometimes.

Still seems like some great cohesion and comradery going on. A good mix of some high end talent with a lot of hard workers. I still think Canada is the gold favorite, but the US is showing they may have what it takes.

I'm excited.

Big-E

It's a team sport and pretty much all of Canada's forwards suck. Not sure why he gets singled out. I hope they figure it out, Canada always starts slow.

I blame Kunitz.

Kunitz is only on the team to help Crosby. Canada wasted two positions on Crosby and still gets nothing out of it. There is the reigning Art Ross winner sitting on the bench and the probably future backbone of the Canadian team sitting at home because of Crosby and the whole "whose going to play with him " horse shit.

Red_Man

Having MSL & Giroux in instead of Kunitz + Nash seemed like a no brainer before the tournament, and still does.

Big-E

Having MSL & Giroux in instead of Kunitz + Nash seemed like a no brainer before the tournament, and still does.

Nash I kind of understand based on legacy. The best line I felt at Vancouver was the Nash, Toews and Richards line as they produced and were always out against the opposing teams top line. They got the job done so I could see why they felt the need to bring in Nash as Richards was indisposed.

I blame Kunitz.

Because he overshadow's the rest of the team to no benefit. Even if it doesn't result in points,someone who was handed the captaincy has to step up when his team is under-performing.

I remember that bit of 24/7 when he called Kadri a joke and was like "I don't even hit people". After that it just re-affirmed that Crosby is indeed a douche bag.

MutFox

Banned
I just hope our Captain,
the guy that's supposed to set the example for the other players, just gets it done.

No excuses, just gets it done, not just in the final play,
but carries us to the Gold Medal game.

He has it in him, but as long as he's pampered,
he's truly going to believe it's not him that has to elevate his game.

Razorskin

----- ------
I just hope our Captain,
the guy that's supposed to set the example for the other players, just gets it done.

What kind of poetry is that

I just hope our Captain,

He couldn't even carry Canada to the gold medal game in 2010. Asides from scoring the eventual game winner, he was pretty much invisible for the tournament.

Well, watched the game finally. They didn't look bad, but they certainly look like they are missing something. Granted, Finland has some pretty solid defense and Rask was lights out fantastic. Sharp played pretty damn good considering he got very little time and was constantly being swapped with different players... hopefully Babcock doesn't pull him for the quarterfinal game. Right now, Kunitz may be the one to scratch in favour for St. Louis for the game.

I wonder who he pulls for the game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Should've been Toews! D:

I hope he really ups his game up, Kunitz or not, cause it's srs bsns going forward.

Cherry might have to change that up to greatest player in the NHL and not the world business.

Curufinwe

I imagine it went like this at the selection meeting.

So the top two scorers in the NHL in the four seasons since the last Olympics are Canadian. Should we take either of them in our top 14 forwards?

Nah.

I don't understand how a panel of hockey experts end up fucking up player selection. It doesn't take an astrophysicist to realize that Kunitz doesn't deserve to be on the team over guys like Giroux. Waste of ice time

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just got around to watching the day's hockey, but..

KEEEEESSSSSEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL

That was fun.

McD has been a beast throughout this tournament so far, deserved that goal.

I dig the bootleg Rangers jerseys USA wore today.

Big-E

I don't understand how a panel of hockey experts end up fucking up player selection. It doesn't take an astrophysicist to realize that Kunitz doesn't deserve to be on the team over guys like Giroux. Waste of ice time

They fuck up because they try to be smart with it. Their is probably also some pressure to put certain players there. I am sure Crosby had some say in getting Kunitz on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom