• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

I hope the NHL goes to 3 points for a regulation win or overtime win, 2 for a Shootout win, and 1 for an overtime or shootout loss. Shootout wins should not count the same as proper wins. That's how crappy teams like the Capitals stay in the playoff race.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the NHL goes to 3 points for a regulation win or overtime win, 2 for a Shootout win, and 1 for an overtime or shootout loss. Shootout wins should not count the same as proper wins. That's how crappy teams like the Capitals stay in the playoff race.

Does anyone feel like altering the standings to fit under this system? I'm curious to see how much they change.

Parch

Nope, big ice makes it much easier for shitty players to play defense. Collapse into a box, and force the other team to skate a thousand feet to even get around you or pass it a hundred feet across the ice to your teammate is also can't get around the box.
Yup. That's why these shitty teams can keep the score down.

The size of the prime scoring area in the slot and points does not change. What increases is the defensive areas, the neutral zone and along the boards where teams have more room to play defensively.

The idea that the big surface "opens up" the ice for more access to the prime scoring area has been proven over and over again to be a complete myth. For teams that want to play a defensive trap system, the big ice makes it much easier.

2013 me: Totally agree!

2013/14 me: WTF IS THIS SH*T

Samyy

NVM!
I found a website that tracks different standing methods:

http://www.hockeystandings.info/?page=threepoints

Thats their three point method, Montreal benefits in our division at least and it doesn't seem to be too bad for the Leafs.
Most notably I guess would be that Pittsburgh would be 2nd overall rather then St.Louis or Chicago.
Doesn't seem to effect the standings significantly.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
NVM!
I found a website that tracks different standing methods:

http://www.hockeystandings.info/?page=threepoints

Thats their three point method, Montreal benefits in our division at least and it doesn't seem to be too bad for the Leafs.
Most notably I guess would be that Pittsburgh would be 2nd overall rather then St.Louis or Chicago.
Doesn't seem to effect the standings significantly.

It seems like this always happens. We all bitch and complain about the loser points then someone puts out something like this and the standings aren't altered too much from what we have.

We then forget then repeat the cycle.

I love it.

Pakkidis

Haven't read everything here but I'll throw my opinion down. Probably already said.

1) Kunitz is playing because Crosby is playing. Kunitz and Crosby are on the same line in Pittsburg no other reason why Kunitz is there.

2) I'm from toronto, but Phill Kessel although good is the very definition of a one dimensional player. 90% He hovers in the neutral/blue line gets a pass and skates super fast past the defense and shoots.

3) Canada looks semi good out there and a strong possibility of winning the gold, the USA being the biggest threat. Russia also has a strong chance. Sweden being the dark horse in the tournament.

4) Open ice hockey means more margin of error for bother offense and defense. It does create a faster type of hockey. Some of you have made some good points about open ice hockey and made me rethink its "advantages"

Var

It seems like this always happens. We all bitch and complain about the loser points then someone puts out something like this and the standings aren't altered too much from what we have.

We then forget then repeat the cycle.

I love it.

Pretty much.

On top of this, use a god damned Point Percentage Ranking like every other league and what's used internally for things like waiver claims.

zroid

Banned
tv9i.png

Kunitz went from 4th most to 2nd least. Maybe they will actually scratch him in the QF...

It might be a dumb question but does anyone know what time the potential USA/Canada game would be on Friday? I know there is a 7:30 and 12:00 game so knowing early in the week might allow me to schedule a doctor's appointment that also conveniently gives me a window to get away from work watch the game before or after.

Big-E

Before the game, he was high fiving and tslking to everyone before they hit the ice. As a fan, I never see any of Crosby's leadership. Toews just seems like a bettet fit.

cube444

It's embarrassing the way Crosby being the Best Hockey Player Alive (tm) is treated. If you're not going to be modest about it then fucking own it and maybe generate some offence.

I love how the excuses just continue for him. It's as if Hockey Canada has sent out internal memos to defend their poster boy at all costs:

Link

tch

At least Toews doesn't expect the team to build around him and pick wingers for him specifically.

Is there any evidence that this is actually true? Kunitz, while not doing shit thus far did actually have good numbers with and without Crosby. Was that chemistry a factor? Sure. But to act as though Crosby intervened to get him on team is a little ridiculous.
As a penguins fan I admit that I would not have placed Kunitz over St. Louis.

It has been 3 games there is still plenty of time for him to find some linemates that click. I'd like to see Crosby back with St. Louis and maybe Benn

Big-E

Is there any evidence that this is actually true? Kunitz, while not doing shit thus far did actually have good numbers with and without Crosby. Was that chemistry a factor? Sure. But to act as though Crosby intervened to get him on team is a little ridiculous.

Chris Kunitz is not an elite player and has never been an elite player. Claude Giroux is an elite player and he ain't even on the team. So why does Kunitz deserve a spot over Giroux? Sid needs to be babied that's why. They gave him a chance to play with everyone in Vancouver, nothing happened. They brought in and wasted a spot just to try and get him going and nothing has happened.

Saw your edit and this ain't 3 games. Vancouver was the same thing. Ryan Miller's brain fart saved Crosby from scrutiny but some of us aren't easily fooled.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Chris Kunitz is not an elite player and has never been an elite player. Claude Giroux is an elite player and he ain't even on the team. So why does Kunitz deserve a spot over Giroux? Sid needs to be babied that's why. They gave him a chance to play with everyone in Vancouver, nothing happened. They brought in and wasted a spot just to try and get him going and nothing has happened.
Pretty much this, more talented players then Kunitz are not playing because Team Canada is coddling Crosby.

It has been 3 games there is still plenty of time for him to find some linemates that click. I'd like to see Crosby back with St. Louis and maybe Benn
The entire point of bringing Kunitz was for the chemistry he has with Crosby, and that they would be able to get going instantly. They haven't created anything between them so far, and Babcock can't wait much longer before he has to scratch Kunitz, which should be next game imo.

tch

Saw your edit and this ain't 3 games. Vancouver was the same thing. Ryan Miller's brain fart saved Crosby from scrutiny but some of us aren't easily fooled.

Ok so the issue here is that Crosby isn't producing offence. Team Canada wants him to produce (which he didn't do in Vancouver) so they tried something different by pairing him with someone he is used to playing with.

I agree that Kunitz shouldn't be on the team over St.Louis/ Stamkos (who I would play over Giroux). I just think it was a bad call by Team Canada in an effort to get more out of Crosby which obviously failed, not Crosby crying for Kunitz to be on the team as so many are painting it when there is no evidence of this happening.

I also don't think that constantly shuffling his lines around are going to help. I realize that it was just to try and figure things out in the prelim's and hopefully they figure it out (which involves scratching Kunitz most likely) and Crosby gets rolling, which we can agree on I think.

Samyy

Its just funny to me that you need to take extra measures to get the best player in the world going whereas the other players seem to be doing it fine.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If a team outshoots another 70-9 (!!!!!!) in an Olympic Semifinal, something is very, very wrong.

I think it's a lot of overreaction. Sure Crosby is your captain, your best player, and you want him to produce, but hockey is a team game. If you want a goal scorer there are better ones out there. I haven't paid attention to matchups, but if teams are putting their shutdown line and top defensive pair against Crosby's line then you would expect him to be neutered somewhat. I remember in Vancouver the US put Suter and Rafalski out against him, and they were on the ice for the golden goal (though it was asinine to have them both go for Iginla).

But at the end of the day the team is 3-0 with 2 goals against (only Switzerland has let in fewer). If one line isn't going but the other three are then I don't really see a problem here.

And yes he was somewhat ineffective in the Pens' Cup run but again, that might have been having the opposing team focus on shutting him down (and letting Malkin run wild on the second line).

Acid08

Banned
“I just told somebody [Monday] morning that Vlasic is way better than everybody knows,” Babcock said. “He’s a really, really good player; Doughty gets to do anything he wants and Vlasic is always in a great spot. He’s a good defender, he’s become harder. He used to be a thin kid, now he’s a thick man. He’s hard, he’s smart, he skates, he moves the puck and he’s safe.”

He's thick. He's hard. He's Pickles.

ZeroGravity

Some news tidbits:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Bettman said that 20 years ago, he asked former IOC President Samaranch about putting hockey in Summer Games, but IOC was not interested.

Other news: Fehr indicated official World Cup announcement is coming in the not-too-distant future..

Fasel says women's hockey will never be eliminated

And, as initially reported by @SlavaMalamud, IIHF will change its net-off-the-moorings rule to NHL version in May.

Quick

Banned
Some news tidbits:

Getting rid of Women's Hockey is a stupid idea, but lacking real competition makes it a hard sell when you know Canada or USA will win every time until they face each other.

There really needs to be a stronger push for better hockey programs (men and women) in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom