• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Draft |OT| The Resurrection of the Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude is surprisingly athletic for his size and will struggle playing interior defense. But if his name was Kristaps Kaminsky NBA scouts would be drooling all over him

Kristaps Porzingis is 3 years younger than Frank The Tank. Older rookies are seen as closer to finished products than those who are 19-20 years old

Do you identify with this dude or something? Seems personal

Pat out here looking like Tywin Lannister lol

damnnnnn lmao

Dude is surprisingly athletic for his size and will struggle playing interior defense. But if his name was Kristaps Kaminsky NBA scouts would be drooling all over him

Not if he were 22 they wouldn't. His problem is that he doesn't have much of a ceiling. He is what he is. He's in the Channing Frye (oh look a black guy) or Ryan Anderson mold and I wouldn't want either of those guys with a top 5 or 10 pick either. At that range you have to try and at least find guys that can project to be all stars, even if it's riskier than taking a guy like Kaminsky.

spyder_ur

White-guy comps! My issue with Kaminsky is that Wisconsin played to his strengths and covered his weaknesses and he's not talented enough for an NBA team to do that in the pros. I expect to see him get pushed out of the post alot and for those high-post spin moves to get thrown back in his face alot. But I don't think he'll bust out or anything.

Seriously, what time is the first pick tonight? How is it 2015 and I can't find this out? I guess I'm going to assume it's actually 7.

Pimpwerx

"Oh no! We drafted a white guy," will be uttered by the fanbase of a lottery team tonight. I'm really hoping it's not us. PEACE.

"Oh no! We drafted a white guy," will be uttered by the fanbase of a lottery team tonight. I'm really hoping it's not us. PEACE.

"We traded for the rights of same putz named Dirk?"

"We drafted some schmuck named Larry, and he's going to stay in college?"

"Yay, Adam Morrison's our guy!"

Wait, that last one doesn't belong.

White-guy comps! My issue with Kaminsky is that Wisconsin played to his strengths and covered his weaknesses and he's not talented enough for an NBA team to do that in the pros. I expect to see him get pushed out of the post alot and for those high-post spin moves to get thrown back in his face alot. But I don't think he'll bust out or anything.

Seriously, what time is the first pick tonight? How is it 2015 and I can't find this out? I guess I'm going to assume it's actually 7.

I think Kaminsky will end up a solid rotation player, maybe even a fringe starter on a bad team. I like Frank and i wish him well, I just wouldn't draft him in the single digits.

As it's been said if he were 19-20, he'd had 3 extra years of nba development to reach his peak & probably would go high. as a college senior though he's pretty much settled into what he is and save for a miracle he'll only get marginally better.

Heel

5f1180b4883c63cf056b4adff30a2048_crop_north.jpg

I think Kaminsky will end up a solid rotation player, maybe even a fringe starter on a bad team. I like Frank and i wish him well, I just wouldn't draft him in the single digits.

As it's been said if he were 19-20, he'd had 3 extra years of nba development to reach his peak & probably would go high. as a college senior though he's pretty much settled into what he is and save for a miracle he'll only get marginally better.

He's Kelly Olynyk. I think they both can be decent rotation players but you want more out of a top 10 pick (or top 5 if you're the Knicks)

He's Kelly Olynyk. I think they both can be decent rotation players but you want more out of a top 10 pick (or top 5 if you're the Knicks)

yup.

I'm just hoping my man MJ says fuck the scouts and reaches for him to shake up the draft

if Pistons can walk away with Hezonja or Winslow I'm a happy man tonight

spyder_ur

I don't like this Smart getting traded stuff, especially just to jump a few picks in the draft. I also think it is mostly just noise though - I don't expect them to move him for anything less than an elite talent.

Surely if that rumor has any truth to it then it has to be part of some three team trade or something.

Edit:

The C's are apparently interested in Myles Turner.

Tom Penny

I don't like this Smart getting traded stuff, especially just to jump a few picks in the draft. I also think it is mostly just noise though - I don't expect them to move him for anything less than an elite talent.

Smart's not getting elite talent. His ceiling is Tony Allen with the potential to be a better scorer. He will always have a place in the NBA though since he plays D and plays hard pretty much all the time.

spyder_ur

Smart's not getting elite talent. His ceiling is Tony Allen with the potential to be a better scorer. He will always have a place in the NBA though since he plays D and plays hard pretty much all the time.

I meant as part of a package, not by himself. Either way I think his ceiling offensively is way higher than that. He shot 33-34% on 3s (his largest weakness coming into the draft) last season in his rookie year in a role much different than he filled in college - Allen is a career 27% shooter. He's also a far better ball handler and passer.

An offensively gifted (or even NBA average) Tony Allen is a very valuable player.

Like I said this is noise and they're not going to trade him straight up for 11. The Celtics genuinely like smart. They dangled Rondo and even Allen for years too - it's what Danny does.

Pimpwerx

I'd be in favor of Riley trading down to get Smart. It's better than gambling with that pick IMO. PEACE.

Tom Penny

I meant as part of a package, not by himself. Either way I think his ceiling offensively is way higher than that. He shot 33-34% on 3s (his largest weakness coming into the draft) last season in his rookie year in a role much different than he filled in college - Allen is a career 27% shooter. He's also a far better ball handler and passer.

An offensively gifted (or even NBA average) Tony Allen is a very valuable player.

Like I said this is noise and they're not going to trade him straight up for 11.

I like Smart but that three point shooting was his biggest problem. In college he got to the rack and drew fouls. That should be his real game and he didn't show it at all settling for bad shots. I will say he has a weird knack of hitting those threes when the game is tied or they are down 3 etc...He shot 37% for the season which abysmal..absolutely atrocious..because he took stupid 3's.

spyder_ur

I like Smart but that three point shooting was his biggest problem. In college he got to the rack and drew fouls. That should be his real game and he didn't show it at all settling for bad shots. I will say he has a weird knack of hitting those threes when the game is tied or they ar down 3 etc...

I didn't always love it for similar reasons, but it was pretty clear to me that it was an intentional role designed to grow his game as a rookie. If he's not a little more active at the hoop in 2 years I'll be worried but I think it was more coaching and system than by his choice. And by the way it worked - Smart shot well from beyond the arc this year. 8th among rookies, most of the guys ahead of him shot far less than he did. He was a better shooter than many of the rookies who were known as sharpshooters - Stauskas, Mirotic, McDermott, Wiggins, etc.

It's a great sign, not a bad one, that in one year in the NBA he became average-to-good in the area that was thought to be his biggest weakness coming into the draft.

Gigglepoo

David Lee was benched for almost the entire season and people are high on Kamisky? I do think he's a legit player but you can't take him in the top 10.

Believe it or not but defense matters. A lot.

Bread

Banned
David Lee was benched for almost the entire season and people are high on Kamisky? I do think he's a legit player but you can't take him in the top 10.

not sure how the two are comparable? kaminisky isn't a sieve like lee.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

If the Wolves could trade to the end of the lottery and get Kaminsky to pair with Towns (and try to fill the gaping fucking black hole that is the 4 on their roster) I'd love that, but it's never going to happen.

Fjordson

I think Kaminsky is better on defense, but yeah, I'm not too high on Frank either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom